hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting Talk Tutorials : Web Hosting Tutorials : Introduction to FTP
Closed Thread

Forum Jump

Introduction to FTP

Closed Thread Post New Thread In Web Hosting Tutorials Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Account Suspended

Introduction to FTP

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and is a standard application protocol that uses the Internet’s TCP/IP protocol to transfer files from one computer to another.

FTP is a very common process today. FTP is commonly used to transfer web pages from the creator’s computer to the server where the web site is situated. Also FTP is used to download programs and files to your computer from a server.

How do I use FTP?

To use FTP you will need to install FTP software on your computer. There are many freely available FTP programs on the Internet such as, FTP explorer (http://www.ftpx.com) and Smart FTP (http://www.smartftp.com).

How do I connect with FTP?

Follow the steps below to connect to a server, to upload files using FTP Explorer:

Open FTP Explorer.

Click on the connect button on the toolbar or select connect from the Tools menu.

In the Profile Name text, enter a name to give your FTP connection.

In the Host Address text box enter the address of the server you are connecting to (this can either be the DNS entry or the IP Address).

Enter the Port number that the server accepts FTP connections on (the default port for FTP is 21).

Tick the Use PASV option, if your computer is behind a firewall, which does not allow external FTP connections.

Tick the Use Firewall option if your computer is located behind a firewall.

Either enter a user name for the FTP login or tick the Anonymous option (the anonymous option will only work if the server is set up to allow anonymous FTP connections – if this is selected go to step 10).

Enter the user’s password in the Password text box.

In the Initial path text box, enter the path on the server, where you want your connection to start at – this is optional.

In the Attempts text box enter the number of times to try the FTP connection if fails, you will need to have at least 1 in this text box.

In the Download path you can specify the path on your computer where to save the files downloaded from the server – this is optional, you can specify this later if you like.

To establish the connection with the server click on the Connect button.

How do I upload files using FTP?

Once you have established your connection with the server the next step is to upload your files to the server. The following describes how to do this:

Go to the path on the server where you want to upload your files to.

In the Tools menu click on the Upload button.

Select the file or files that you want to upload (to select more than one file hold down the CTRL key).

NOTE: You can also upload files by dragging and dropping them to the directory/folder on the server.

Click on the Open button. Your file will now be uploaded to the server. (You will see this uploading process in the dialog box.)

How do I download files using FTP?

You can also use FTP to download files to your computer from a server. The following describes how to download a file.

Make sure you are connected to the server.

Go to the file that you want to download.

Right click on the file and select Download To..

Select the path on your computer where you want the file to be saved to.

The file will now be downloaded to your computer. (You will see this downloading process happening in the dialog box.)

How do I end my connection?

You can end the connection by simply clicking on the Disconnect button on the tool bar or by clicking on Disconnect from the Tools menu.

Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 12-23-2004 at 07:50 AM.

Sponsored Links
Old

Thanks , very useful.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Maybe you could add something about chmod and stuff like that as well, might be uselfull for the people that install scripts for the very first time.

Sponsored Links
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

An FTP server can use passive mode. When in passive mode, I believe IE and the native DOS ftp cannot be used because they do not offer passive mode connection.

So, what's so good about passive mode FTP? Why people use it? More secure??

Old
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by Donkey
An FTP server can use passive mode. When in passive mode, I believe IE and the native DOS ftp cannot be used because they do not offer passive mode connection.

So, what's so good about passive mode FTP? Why people use it? More secure??
To use IE in passive mode , you have to clear the Enable folder view for FTP sites check box(Tools > Internet options>Advanced Tab>Browsing) and then select the Use Passive FTP check box.

People use passive mode FTP as data transfer is more secure and that's because of the fact that the FTP client initiates the process not the FTP Server.

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Thanks for this info. I've been thinking about this exact topic today!

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

When I try to access ftp via IE I always get an error Internet Exploror cannot download from / ftp.xyz.com Internet Exploror was not able to open the site.

What could be the problem??

Old
Disabled

Hey,
Nice topic... wish I were able to read something like this when I first had my hosting account 4 years back.

Old

Great tutorial.
Thank you.

~Larry

Old
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by Ekhwan
When I try to access ftp via IE I always get an error Internet Exploror cannot download from / ftp.xyz.com Internet Exploror was not able to open the site.

What could be the problem??
Hi,
It could be because of following reasons:
xyz.com might not be pinging to your server
or the ftp port might not be opened on your server

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I got it done this way, it might help others as well.

If you are trying to connect to ftp with the main account try using this format to get to your ftp: ftp://user:password@domain.com

Old
Disabled

Thanks for the info that helps a lot

Old

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ic3d
Maybe you could add something about chmod and stuff like that as well, might be uselfull for the people that install scripts for the very first time.
Yup, I had trouble with that before I was given an elaborate explanation a while ago...

Old

chmod is for changing the permission of the file. read write and execute.

recommend that u use filezilla or such ftp clients.. you can right click on the file and change the property easily.

Old

If you want to upload a file that you will download from another ftp you can use FXP.
It's permit file transfert directly between two ftp server without download on your hard drive

Closed Thread

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Free Online Cybersecurity Course Aims to Help People Protect Their Information Web Hosting News 2014-09-04 15:37:16
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - June 20, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-06-20 16:21:36
Web Hosting Sales and Promos - June 13, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-06-13 18:30:39
Innovations and Opportunities in India's New gTLD Marketplace with ICANN Web Hosting News 2013-10-18 16:20:03
Rackspace Hosting to Invest $5.5M to Expand Maryland IT Hosting Operation Web Hosting News 2013-07-16 09:49:49