Help - Input/Output error

I got an input/output error on a file when running du on a customer domain. Before this happened, the server crashed so I suspect the file is corrupted.

Do you think I need to run fsck to fix this? Is there any easy way to fix this without causing downtime to the server?

How long would it take to complete fsck on a server with 600 GB usable space?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Re: Help - Input/Output error

Originally posted by blueface
    Do you think I need to run fsck to fix this? Is there any easy way to fix this without causing downtime to the server?
    Yes, fsck is the right way to fix this. No, there is probably not an easy way to fix this without causing downtime. You'll have to unmount the filesystem and at minimum, remount it read-only while running fsck. You really should leave it unmounted while fsck does it's job.

How long would it take to complete fsck on a server with 600 GB usable space?
    This will probably take an hour or two. It depends on your hardware. ;(
    Jeff at Innovative Network Concepts / 212-981-0607 x8579 / AIM: jeffsw6
    Expert IP network consultation and operation at affordable rates
    95th Percentile Explained Rate-Limiting on Cisco IOS switches

Thanks Jeff!

Do you think it's better to run "shutdown -rF now" command to reboot the server and run fsck?

is it possible to run fsck on a secondary HD? /dev/hdb3 on /old how would i run fsck on hdb3 if i unmount it?