Cool

Hi,
    I'm looking for other opinions or suggestions. I posted on another BB regarding my need for web hosting with pop email with smtp and signed up with a webhosting company that, in the end, could not deliver. They kept saying it was an authentication problem and now want me to transfer to a new server. A reply on Recellar's BB from a web hosting company said this:

"My best guess is that it is not even your host's fault. I am looking ta an IP you are posting from: 63.28.178.206 That is a UUnet/MCI/Worldcom IP number. I can tell you from past support incidents we have had that Eart*****, Prodigy, and most UUnet/MCI/Worldcom dial-up accounts DO NOT allow foreign SMTP connections. That means that whatever host you use, you will not be able to use your own SMTP if you are using a dial-up connection from one of these ISPs. That most likely is the base of your problem."

Since many people use UUnet this should be a common problem, right? Has anyone done anything to solve this problem? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
    Sharon

response

to be honest....i have run into this from several ISP's. this is actually quite normal.

ISP's that do not allow foreign SMTP(that i know of):
    -flachcom
    -eart*****
    -netzero
    -uunet

i am sure that there are many others out there and this is actually a precautionary measure towards serious mail abuse issues.

i sympathize with your issues because many of my clients must use their ISP's SMTP for outgoing mail instead of thier domain as the SMTP.

no advice at this time but this is becoming quite normal.

goodluck...
    nathan

if you need a second opinion i will add to nate's... my isp (telus.net in canada) doesn't allow it either... in fact, i don't think too many isp's allow sending other people's mail through their servers anymore, due to nate's aforementioned security issues, etc...

Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot you can do besides get another ISP. I've seen some people manage to get around this by authenticating before sending email through their domain. That is not a guaranteed fix, since it just doesn't work when you're dialed in/connected with some ISPs and trying to relay mail through a foreign domain.