hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Design and Content : A good auto sync ftp client?

Forum Jump

A good auto sync ftp client?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2004, 01:17 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

A good auto sync ftp client?

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to find a sync tool to use. I don't know about you but I'm fed up of having to save my work, bring up my ftp client and manually transfer my updated files to test in a browser.

Is there a tool that will monitor a set directory structure for changes and upload those changes to a remote server via ftp automatically (with *zero* manual intervention)? Ie. you save the file, the program notices the timestamp change and uploads the file.

I'm not just being lazy i promise - but when you do hundreds of small changes to code having to upload each time drives you crazy!

I use JEdit which allows you to save directly to the ftp server but it is ridiculously slow (ie about 1 bit per second) and you don't automatically get a local copy.

Dreamweaver has quite a good system where you can just press a hotkey and it saves it to both the local system and uploads it - but this means I have to buy/use Dreamweaver when i am very happy with (free) JEdit.

Any recommendations would be most appreciated! Freeware preferred but am willing to pay for a good program. =)

Cheers,
Daniel

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2004, 08:01 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I've found a solution -

1. Install WebDrive and map your ftp account to a local drive letter.
2. Install a sync/mirror device that can synchronise two folders in real time.

Eg: PeerSync, SureSync, MirrorFolders

Seems to work well!

Also - someone else mentioned that CuteFTP has an option to monitor folders for changes and you can set the interval - eg 5 seconds or 1 minute. Not tried that one though.

Cheers,
Daniel

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
DataCloud Canada Listing 2014-07-23 05:24:55
PTisp Listing 2014-07-23 05:23:34
AeroFS Launches Private File Sharing Software Web Hosting News 2013-11-22 17:00:53
BitTorrent Sync Announces Platform Updates, 1M+ Users Web Hosting News 2013-11-06 13:36:26
BitTorrent to Launch Cloud Storage Service Web Hosting News 2013-01-25 15:39:23