I just got a call from these guys.

The guy flat out told me that it is impossible for my site to ever go down. He said california would have to sink for it to go down.

He then proceeded to tell me that APlus owns all the domain name registrars (after I asked him how he got my number)

He then told me that they host, market, and designed Best Buy's webpage.

I proceeded to look up the nameservers, hmm, it resolves to AT&T. I ask him about that and he says--oh no, they get their internet service from AT&T, not their hosting. Then I said, oh really? How would I go about making my domain name point to your servers? He said I'm just a designer, I'll get a tech for you.

He got the tech. The tech then told me that I would have to update my nameservers if I wanted to host with them .

I then asked about Best Buy--he said he had to check on it--then he would call me back. Right...

Blue Optic .:. Web Solutions
    http://www.blueoptic.com

I had a dedicated server with Aplus.net before, and then filed a chargeback when I realized that the sales person completely lied about my server specs.

Cool hehehe

hehehehe )) very very interesting
    WebHostec.com
    http://www.webhostec.com
    e-mail: info@webhostec.com

Lol, thats a good one. I've heard of a few scams where people use whois record contacts to dupe people into something absurd like that. You would think people would try and come up with something slightly realistic.

I had a lady call me up from there too a few weeks ago after I registered a few domains at GD.

They were offering me hosting, told them I was a reseller.

They offered me web design after 3 minutes of her talking without me being able to get a word in, I told her to email me the info....never saw the email, but then again I would have hit the delete button on it anyway.

I tell you they have some nerve.

I guess Aplus are up to there old tricks again then..

They did this before, aswell as secretly embedding code into there customers webpages...
    Web Host ZERO - Pro, and Reseller Hosting.
    LinkSmile SEO - Text Link Marketplace.

Aplus does a lot of bad things that I don't approve of. A while ago they lied to all customers and put links back to aplus.net on all of their customer's web sites. (The links were invisible). This caused them to get a PR of 9 and #1 ranking on google for a lot of terms. It is a large but extremely shady operation if you ask me. They should go down like Foonet.

EDIT: I also don't know whether the employees are told to lie or whether or not the information they receive are lies from their managers and then they believe it because it's what they're told. Who knows, but it really should stop.

Yes it should stop I agree strongly with that.

It's like they are attempting anything to get that extra bit of recognition.

But if they had good support, great servers and services they shouldn't need to do this sort of thing to get new customers.
    Web Host ZERO - Pro, and Reseller Hosting.
    LinkSmile SEO - Text Link Marketplace.

heh, that story sounds about right. BTW, this is common for them.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...calling+people

Too funny! We also received a call from them They should have gone to our webpage *before* calling
    Derek @ BP6 Network - BP6.Net
    - Managed shared hosting, & more.

We should register StopAplus.com at GD and then wait for a call from them to host us.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

I reported aplus.net to ICANN a few months ago and the reply I got from them is they will be investigating the matter and forwarded it to they're legal department. They certainly do not own all registars and I believe they are either browsing through deleteddomains.com or they are abusing they're privillege by having access to the whois through they're sister company ABACUS AMERICA, INC. DBA NAMES4EVER it would be wise for people to report this to ICANN simply by emailing them at icann@icann.org with a brief statement of the incident.
    Kerry Jones

BTw, if you put yourself on the national DO NOT CALL list, and they call tot elemarket you, you cna sue aplus.net for violation of the new do not call act ;p

ouch

man o man, ive been reading on this and cant beleive the scams with the domain names now, and the adding the links inside customers pages is downright crazy but the balls to do this is even more, they said it was ex employee that did it, hmm, what incentive by boosting there google rank would he have?

lol Good point

Just got a call from them too a minute or two ago for a domain I had registered a few days ago.

Me: "Are you mining the whois database?"
    Aplus: "Yes but..."
    Me: -click-

To me telemarketing of this sort is as low and dirty as bulk mailing.

Most all our clients have us register the domains in our name, so we are in the whois database quite alot. We have gotten calls so many times that we had to block their number from calling us. These types of operations are what give the hosting industry a bad rep.
    MetricHost :: High Quality Affordable Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared, Reseller & Shoutcast Hosting l Credit Cards and Paypal Accepted.

Someone in authority needs to jump on these guys from a great height. It's thing after another with them. The hosting biz can do without them.
    My Reviews of 30+ Hosts
    Can Also Be Seen On My Page at TekSalon

The Meatrix: Welcome to the real world

I recently registered a domain at GD...I guess I'll be getting a call from them. I used to have a site with them (it got there via mergers) and to close it and get away from them was like pulling teeth. After I closed it they re-opened the account without my permission and charged my card. It took 2 weeks to settle it and ended up cancelling the CC card. They were the 2nd host I moved away from. The first host I ever moved from was painless and the staff was helpful at closing the hosting account.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

* YOU GUYS SAVED ME! No A-Plus domain 4 me !!

Just LAST NIGHT I bookmarked A-Plus because I saw they were selling .COM domains for $6.95.
    If I hadn't read about them HERE I might have tried to do business with them!
    THANKS TO ALL ON THIS FORUM WHO HAVE REPORTED on A-Plus.
    Just ONE instance like this can save people from all kinds of grief.
    I am very glad I found this GREAT FORUM. --Your pal 4-ever, raker.