hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Site Turn :: Absolute Crap

Forum Jump

Site Turn :: Absolute Crap

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2002, 05:20 PM
WHT Addict

Angry

Site Turn :: Absolute Crap

OK, I don't usually like to badmouth companies, but in the interest of informing other users, as many have done for us here, I think it's my duty to let you know about my horrible experience with SiteTurn

www.SiteTurn.com

They offer great prices which is rather unbelievable at first, and then once you're sucked in, it's over.

I've been with them for about 2 weeks now, and boy has the service been terrible. I get 404s, bad gateway, server timeouts ALL THE TIME! I can't login via the control panel, ftp, or telnet, and I'm very afraid for my precious database on their server!

Furthermore, their site was recently hacked, as a hacker got into their database and sent us this e-mail

Quote:
Dear Customer,

Since credit card fraud over the internet has started to increase, several companies have already introduced new measures to prevent this. We would like our company to relate to these new measures also so that our customers receive great service as well as security.

SiteTurn.com is currently upgrading our billing department so that you the customer receive the best protection against credit card fraud and unauthorised payments from your account. To safely assure future and efficient transactions we now require more information to process your credit card.

Please fill out the form in your reply and send it back as soon as possible.

User Name:
First Name:
Middle Name:
Last Name:
Company Name:
Street Address:
*optional* Address 2:
*optional* Address 3:
City:
State/Province:
Postal Code:
Phone Number: (eg. 416-555-1122)
*optional* Fax Number:
Email:

Issuing Bank Name
Social Security Number:
Credit Card Type: Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express
Card Number:
Exp. Date:
Name on Card:
Date Of Birth: (eg. May/29/1973)
CVV2 Number:

What is a CVV2 Number for Visa, Mastercard and Discover?
Use the example bellow

What is a CVV2 Number for American Express?
Use the example below

Thank you.
Kevin Javaheri
security@siteturn.com
SiteTurn Networks, Inc.
then we recieved another e-mail from the hacker himself saying:

Quote:
I HACKED SITETURN.COM peices of junk webhosters...
faggets who cant a site properly.. well thats what they get.. anyways hope
you all cancel your accounts with them cuz the suck dick...and i hope i see
this on CNN lol or some news channel
the unfortunate thing was that all of their customers e-mails were available on one server, and the hacker sent an e-mail to all of us, hence we all now have access to each other's e-mails (personal info).

Then my site went down for over an hour, and SiteTurn's site went down for half a day. They wouldn't reply to my e-mails (5 in total over the past 2 weeks), phone calls (they're not picking up!), or their chat program when it's there.

Also, they've denied that they've been hacked, claiming it to be something small. Meanwhile, all of us members have been worried silly because we don't know what's happening with our downed servers! We've been massmailing each other for a while now, and yet SiteTurn has neither called or contacted us regarding our downtime.

All in all, my time with them has been a total nightmare!

How can they be ranked as a top 20 host on tophosts?

This is insane!

I've passed along the web address to this great board to the other members of SiteTurn so I hope they will come here and learn about all the 'good guys' in the industry.

Anyway... my apologies if this is a bit longwinded, but I just want to make sure that SiteTurn does not fool anyone else into paying them for crappy service!

If you have questions, post it here or e-mail.

Regards

Last edited by raine; 02-06-2002 at 05:27 PM.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2002, 06:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

Re: Site Turn :: Absolute Crap

Quote:
Originally posted by raine
How can they be ranked as a top 20 host on tophosts?
I don't want to comment on the rest, but regarding the above:
You see an ad in a newspaper about a soft drink, you buy it and it tastes awfully. Do you say "how can the New York Times show an ad for such an awfull tasting drink?"

Old 02-06-2002, 06:31 PM
Complete Newbie

Re: Re: Site Turn :: Absolute Crap

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter
I don't want to comment on the rest, but regarding the above:
You see an ad in a newspaper about a soft drink, you buy it and it tastes awfully. Do you say "how can the New York Times show an ad for such an awfull tasting drink?"
I know what you mean, but New York Times never makes any claim about any particular soft drink being the top 20 soft drinks, right?

cheers,

Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2002, 06:58 PM
WHT Addict

They want you to send credit card information via email?

Old 02-06-2002, 07:39 PM
WHT Addict

Hmm...

My impression of TopHosts.com was that it was unbiased website devoted to rating and reviewing hosting services.

Unfortunately, I guess they're just a bunch of pay-advertisers.

That's too bad.

Regarding the credit card, that was what the HACKER wanted us to do, to send him an e-mail with our CC informatoin. Apparently the FBI is looking into this (so says SiteTurn).

Old 02-06-2002, 10:18 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

Don’t send your Credit card information via email, nor social security number! ! !

They should have provided you with a secure page to enter this info this is very unprofessional and it can cause CC fraud because of the easy of email interception! ! !

Just what I think

Old 03-27-2002, 03:04 PM

* SiteTurn Mucho Bad

I have been searching for a new host company for several weeks and have had a terrible time finding one that meets all of my needs. Recently I ran across SiteTurn. I spent about 30 seconds on their site and was like, "WOW, this is the best one yet!" (unlimited traffic, tons of features, one low price, great reputation on tophosts.com and topindex.com). I was elated that my search was finally over.

So I tried to use their online chat to talk to their sales team. It was broken. I tried to chat live with their support team...I waited and waited and waited...at least 15 minutes and nothing. I tried clicking around the site some more to find additional info. There were multiple broken links (which are still broken two weeks later) one even on their HOME PAGE. I tried emailing siteturn@siteturn.com (link on HOME PAGE) no response. I tried emailing sales@siteturn.com (twice) no response. I called their 800 number during normal business hours, sat on hold for 10 or 15 minutes, nobody answered...after holding for the 10 or 15 minutes the auto system asked me to leave a voice mail message so I did. Guess what? Still no response. Apparently they don't want new business. In my opinion, SiteTurn is an a embarassment to customer service and this industry. TopHosts.com and TopIndex.com are both dead wrong if they think SiteTurn is one of the top 25 hosts...

Old 03-27-2002, 07:34 PM
Community Guide

Re: Re: Site Turn :: Absolute Crap

Quote:
Originally posted by Walter
Do you say "how can the New York Times show an ad for such an awfull tasting drink?"
I'm sure they'll print whatever you pay them to print (within reason of course :-).

Cheers

Gary

•• http://www.aussiehq.com.au ••
•• Making the web work for you ••
•• http://www.garymeadows.com ••

Old 03-28-2002, 12:25 AM

Hmmmm.... Should anything be taken seriously ?

Did it ever occurred to anyone that the so called "hacker" just might have been a paid insider in the company? What can a company do about that?

ANd the service cutoff, JUST might have been because everyone was mailing them constantly AND between each other bogging down the servers...

And a security hole is a security hole.. Once it's found, it's on all affected systems. All over the world 24/7 until a patch/fix is made and applied... EVERY hosting company is affected to those unknown securityholes. EVERYONE from crappy to elite..

I guess the email accounts are quite easy to sniff from the traffic anyway without anyone noticing it.. When it comes to hacking a computer directly, it's quite risky.. One should pretend to be another machine when doing it. So why to do it anyway? Why just not pretend to be the mailserver of the victim host and spew the sniffed emails for ppl to read them?

Anyway.. I'm not the hacker here but I guess it's not as straightforward as it might look like.. ANd what comes to the email form the hacker, well .. Doesn't he enjoy a lot reading this thread seeing ppl read and believed exactly what he wanted...

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I HACKED SITETURN.COM peices of junk webhosters...
faggets who cant a site properly.. well thats what they get.. anyways hope
you all cancel your accounts with them cuz the suck dick...and i hope i see
this on CNN lol or some news channel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah... LOL.. I wonder why he didn't put his hosting service domain name in the mail? I believe that "cant a site properly" should be "can't write properly".. A minor correction..

Anyway.. I'm off to sleep now.. LOL it was my first post..

Old 03-28-2002, 01:23 AM
Web Hosting Master

The feature of unlimited traffic should have tipped you off.

Old 03-28-2002, 02:03 AM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally posted by bahres
Don’t send your Credit card information via email, nor social security number! ! !
They should have provided you with a secure page to enter this info this is very unprofessional and it can cause CC fraud because of the easy of email interception! ! !
I believe what he was getting at is that the "hacker" impersonated a staff member of SiteTurn requesting CC info. I don't think the hacker himself cared if it would be perceived professional or not for the company.

But you're definitely right -- plain e-mail is not the medium to be providing your CC details.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
GigeNET Goes Down After Smoke Detected in Data Center Web Hosting News 2013-10-10 09:58:59
HostingCon 2013: Differentiating Cloud-Based Services with Ditlev Bredahl Web Hosting News 2013-06-21 13:40:41
Liquid Web Updates Mobile Management Interface with Bill Payment Feature Web Hosting News 2013-05-23 14:56:25
Digital Realty Trust Acquires Australian Data Center for $12.4 Million Web Hosting News 2013-01-10 16:33:39
Yottaa Partners to Offer Ecommerce Acceleration for Drupal Online Merchants Web Hosting News 2012-11-06 08:58:19