hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Security and Technology : Distributed File System

Forum Jump

Distributed File System

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Security and Technology Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old

Distributed File System

I must not post here enough, as it seems they removed my account, so excuse the fact that it says itís my first post.

Moving right along, I was wondering if anyone here had a comment on Microsoftís distributed file system?

We are in a position where we store mass qtyís of data, so we are looking into a new 1.5TB file server which should be good for some time to come, however I also want to plan for scalability as well.

One of my thoughts was to implement the 1.5TB server, then implement additional server in the future and create a centralized file system using MS Dfs.

Iím sure there are many other ways and technologies that Iím not very familiar with that would suite this just as well.

Anyone care to offer a comment or suggestion?

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

They probably banned you (disabled your account) for a limited time, and your second account is against the rules.

Old

I wasnt banned, besides this is the EXACT same name I had before. Thanks for your concern though.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old
Community Leader

We don't remove accounts, so maybe you hadn't signed up before?

Old

Nope.

I'm 100% positive I've posted here, and I'm 100% positive this was my name. Its been several months, I figure you guys just cleaned house.

Matt

Old
Community Leader

Please contact us at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/helpdesk/ as I think I have found you.

Old
Web Hosting Master

http://www.danga.com/mogilefs/ is the distributed file system used by livejournal.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Mogile requires custom coding and Linux, either of which may be a problem in this case. That brings up the critical issue here.

You can't take an individual clustering component, like shared files or load balancing, bolt it on an existing system, and call it a cluster. Programs like to assume they're running one time on one system. They tend to break, corrupt, and explode in unexpected and difficult to debug ways when you break that assumption. Hire a professional to go over your needs and construct a real solution for you.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Beta Release of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Launched Web Hosting News 2013-12-12 13:01:56
Flexiant Releases New Version of Cloud Orchestrator with Ceph Support Web Hosting News 2013-07-25 12:46:27
Panzura Raises $25 Million in Funding for Cloud Storage Solution Web Hosting News 2013-06-07 15:47:36
Ubiquity Servers Launches SSD Cloud Servers Web Hosting News 2013-04-01 15:43:52
DreamHost, CloudSigma Among Cloud Hosting Providers Added to Linux Foundations Web Hosting News 2012-11-06 08:59:52