setting up rsync :)

First of all, yes i used search didnt help me much there

What i want to do in the end:

copy /backup/cpbackup/daily to a remote server in the same directory. I have used google alot and used search here but still i didnt succeed.

I found this nice tutorial here:

http://servers.linux.com/article.pl?...d=47&pagenum=1

It really works well and its easy...i come to the part where i can ssh ro the remote host without password entering...but when i do the test below it:

rsync -avz -e "ssh -i ~/rsync-key" /some/small/directory/ remote_user@remotehost.com:/backup/destination/directory/

It asks me for a password again..

when i just do ssh remote_user@remotehost.com i get in without a password...

I did everything according to the above (yes i even changed remote_user to the correct user and remote host the remote host... )....still it doesnt work..keeps asking for a password.

Does anyone know to get passed this? I am quite clueless here, and dont know really what to do..never used rsync personally before

Thank you in advance,

haris.

If you can connect through SSH without passwords, it means that your key is already in your home directory under the ".ssh" directory.

In that case, just remove the "-i ~/rsync-key" from your command line and it should work.

tried it ..doesnt work

Smile

You may have a module in /etc/rsyncd.conf on your backup server so that you can push the data to there without password prompt ~

thanks, ill check it!

Smile

Actually I recommend you use your backup server to pull the data rather than using your main server to push the data to your backup server ~

Because if you push the data to it, anyone on your server can push things to there because on your backup server, you are allowing that server to push things to it ~~

If you pull things to it, only your backup server can gets and save your data ~

Assume 123.123.123.123 is your backup server IP
    and 234.234.234.234 is your main server IP

To do this, simply add this in /etc/rsyncd.conf in your server (NOT the backup server)
    [my_backup]
    comment = my backup
    uid = root
    gid = root
    read only = yes
    path = /backup/cpbackup/daily
    hosts allow = 123.123.123.123

stop rsync and and start it again and specify the config file ~
    stop rsync and do:
    rsync --daemon --config=/etc/rsyncd.conf

Now on your backup server, simply run:
    /usr/bin/rsync -avz 234.234.234.234::my_backup/ /path/to/store/on/backup/server

That would make the backup server to pull the data in your /backup/cpbackup/daily (specified in rsyncd.conf) from your main server and store it in /path/to/store/on/backup/server

Let me know if it works ~~
    Last edited by YUPAPA; 11-26-2004 at 03:25 AM.

Why dont you use www.rsnapshots.org readymade rsync rpm utility.
    It is easier to use.

Originally posted by mali
    Why dont you use www.rsnapshots.org readymade rsync rpm utility.
    It is easier to use.

this site dont work

bumpage.. what is that site he is referring to ? Doesnt work for me either.
    CloudNexus Technology Services
    Managed Services

This is what I use, and it works well:
    (with your locations inserted)
    rsync -carlpogte ssh /backup/cpbackup/daily $REMOTESERVER:/backup/cpbackup/

or if you would like to delete files at the destination that have been deleted at the source:
    rsync -carlpogte ssh --delete /backup/cpbackup/daily $REMOTESERVER:/backup/cpbackup/

As you can see, this goes over SSH, so you don't have to run rsyncd.
    Make sure your SSH key authentication is working correctly.
    Last edited by naidd; 11-26-2004 at 06:56 PM.

Q: Can I set the snapshot_root to a remote SSH path? I want to push my backups to a remote server, rather than pull them from a remote server.
    A: Currently this is not possible. This would be a nice feature, but several questions remain unanswered:
    How can the integrity of the snapshot root be guaranteed if one or more remote servers have write access to it?
    When snapshots are rotated, which of the potentially several remote servers connecting is responsible for performing this task?
    One possibility is to have a "staging" area for files to be transferred to, then have rsnapshot sync from this staging area into the snapshot root. Can this be accomplished without taking up double the disk space?

Does this mean i cannot push the backups to a remote server, but i CAN pull them from the originating server to the remote server?

thanks ley..