hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Maybe... (once uppon a time)

Forum Jump

Maybe... (once uppon a time)

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-27-2000, 09:52 PM
Web Hosting Master

Once uppon a time was a web hosting board where everyone (almost) was friendly, where people would think before reacting.

Some day, some people made the board popular and it became used by a lot more people than before. Because of that, the number of dumb-ass increased as well. Because of that, people no longer thought before writing and simply ranted over rants of rants.

Now, strict rules will not solve this (there are many people that don't read them or simply don't care about them). You can't really restrict the popularity either.

The membership can help, I really believe so.

It is definately annoying for those coming in for a quick question for the first time. But one that find help here will most likely agree to spend 5 minutes to regiter to this board. And old-timers won't flee, they wills tay and help as they did before.

Is it me or does this sounds a bit like webhostingtalk.com?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2000, 01:04 AM
Community Guide

Cool

I have to agree.... registration should be required, it only takes a couple minutes.

Old 11-28-2000, 03:24 AM
Web Hosting Master

Post Spin Spin Suga...

Ok, I'm getting a little dizzy with all the moderator posts and this one is short so I'm sure people actually read it. Those long posts get a bit on the annoying side to read.

My opinions (like anyone asked or needed to know them):

1. Registration is just something that should be done. Make it more of a good sounding thing for registering though. Such as "Hey, you get your own signature if you register!"

2. One of the ideas I saw in one of the other threads (I'm too tired to read through 20 pages to find it again right now) was to fix this board up so guests could start a new topic but not reply unless they registered. While this does encourage registering, it still leaves things open to a flamewar bursting from a started topic. Besides, they could always do what one of these many little threads have done and just carry a conversation onto a new topic and make people (like me!) dizzy trying to keep up with what the heck is going on.

Ok, I'd better stop now. I don't want to make someone skip over everything I've said because it's too long. Just opinions, slash them if you wish.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2000, 09:14 AM
Web Hosting Master

Talking

Registration should include requiring two forms of ID and a permission slip from Mom.

Old 11-28-2000, 09:34 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by alchiba
Registration should include requiring two forms of ID and a permission slip from Mom.
Two forms of ID? Last time that was discussed...

There are going to be a few changes made which will attempt to curb the trolls. Overall I still think that for the most part, for most of the threads, 99.9% of the conversations here are helpful and friendly.

Old 11-28-2000, 09:49 AM
Web Hosting Master

Chicken, I'm certainly no expert on boards [I do moderate on two of the currently-under-revision HotsScripts.com forums]... but I did some serious prowling around last night, so maybe I'd know what I was talking about for a change.

I must have hit around three dozen boards.

Not one of them would let you post without registering. Of the dozen or so I registered with to see how they worked, five required confirmatory e-mail response.

Food for thought...

Old 11-28-2000, 12:12 PM

I think instead of discussing what new rules should be made, we should make a rule which WILL be enforced saying that threads like these which has no serious content will be immediately deleted. People, please get some lives.

Old 11-28-2000, 12:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

Post lol

But lives take so much effort... and my rear is already bonded to my chair. Anyhow, the whole point of a general discussion forum is to discuss things even if they don't have any "serious content". Sometimes people just need to let things out or spend some time exchanging thoughts on events.

All work and no play makes Justin a dull boy...
All work and no play ma... you get the point.

Old 11-28-2000, 04:57 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by johnny101
I think instead of discussing what new rules should be made, we should make a rule which WILL be enforced saying that threads like these which has no serious content will be immediately deleted. People, please get some lives.
*looks confused*

I thought I posted this in the General forum, where you can talk about anything?

Old 11-30-2000, 05:57 AM
Web Hosting Master

You even talk about people talking about what you can talk about. Errrr... I think I've read too many of etLux's posts. Starting to rub off and make sense to me now. Scary

Old 11-30-2000, 06:08 AM
Web Hosting Master

I appreciate the fact that you apparently have discovered a fundamental engenderment in the cascading philosophical ramifications of various discoveries explored in the instantiations of remarks rendered variously as either concatenative but vigorous syllogisms or sheerly absolute dissertative eventuations of possibilities; however, there is no existentially evidentiary validative proliferation of essential meaning in them, either implied or intended.

Old 11-30-2000, 11:10 PM
Community Guide

Cool

etLux, nice use of complex english.....

Old 12-01-2000, 01:52 AM
Web Hosting Master

Thanks. I wonder what the hell it means.

Old 12-01-2000, 10:56 AM
Web Hosting Master

I tried babelfish but they didn't have an etLux>English

Old 12-01-2000, 11:22 AM
Aspiring Evangelist

Try an injection of translator microbes.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
GoDaddy Enlists Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan Chase to Manage IPO: Reports Web Hosting News 2014-04-10 13:20:48
Three Tips to Reduce Meetings, Work Hours, and Be as Productive as Ever Blog 2013-11-01 15:18:39
CIO New York Summit 2013 Web Hosting Events 2013-03-27 19:48:29
CIO Summit 2013 Web Hosting Events 2013-03-05 18:08:59
Time Warner Cable Opens $82M Data Center, Houses NaviSite Cloud Node Web Hosting News 2012-11-16 15:17:57