Creating a billing/help/control panel!

Hey all,

I'm completely redesigning my billing system from scratch. The first one was good but now I want more features and it seems the way I designed the original database doesn't allow for much expansion.

So, I'm hoping I can get some input on a a new system. What are things to look out for or plan ahead for? And whats the best way to create the database?

Right now the idea is to create a user table in the database, then one for each different product I sell (ie, shared, reseller, dedicated etc.). Each product would have the user id stored with it so all the users stuff can be displayed in one place. I also want to add other stuff such as a table for extra charges, so I could add overages and other stuff to the account.

On top of this I need to intergrate a ticket system, I have no experience designing ticket systems so input on this would be helpfull. I also want to make it a intergrated control panel, but I'll get to that later.

The biggest thing is the database design, I can change coding but once users are in the database its a pain to move them. What are somethings I should know in order to make a good db design? And while I'm askin, what are feature users would like to see in a system like this?

Just a suggestion, you might want to think about port in a pre-existing trouble ticket system (such as Help Center Live) with the billing system you're planning to code. Building the two from scratch and then integrating them seamlessly is a huge undertaking.
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

Originally posted by IncognitoNet
    Just a suggestion, you might want to think about port in a pre-existing trouble ticket system (such as Help Center Live) with the billing system you're planning to code. Building the two from scratch and then integrating them seamlessly is a huge undertaking.
    I totally agree with yuo , it takes allot of time, and sometimes its the best to purchase a license

altho i have build my own billing system ( and still am developing it )

it takes allot of time , but if you want that your customers have a special ID , try

CREATE TABLE `tablename` (
    `id` INT( 10 ) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,
    PRIMARY KEY ( `id` )
    );

in phpmyadmin , if you are creating a customer DB

ID - INT - 10 - AUTO_INCREMENT

everytime a client registers it will get a number starting from 1 to 9999999999

10 - 9's

if you ever need help with php , i am right here

Xlusive
    Professional Coder click here to contact me