hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : FastServerManagement Cheat Away our Money

Forum Jump

FastServerManagement Cheat Away our Money

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

FastServerManagement Cheat Away our Money

2nd November 04:

we notice that we can't write any files to our server. we let the helpdesk knows about it. our mambo portal has error writing to database. basically files are in readable mode only.

The Cheat reply: we dont have your root password, then they close the case.

3rd November 04:

we contact them thru AIM as nobody is replying to our helpdesk ticket. finally they reply and they submit reboot request to tomsyer

few hours later after reboot we notice that everything are gone.

The Cheat reply:
Also, as we said, you CANNOT make any changes to a read-only system!!
We logged in and it wouldn't let us do anything on your server at all,
so we rebooted the server. We did not do anything at all!

As for security install, yes we did our security install, but since we
cannot access your server to see what happened, we do not know how and
if a hacker got in. The security install does not stop someone if they
had your root password, or if you gave them SSH permissions, etc....

I dont mind if the whole data are gone as they are not important ... the point is ... they claimed they dont have my root password ... how can they do the security patches on their day to day job?

are they securing the server for the first time ... then keep getting the $29 monthly payment without doing anything since August? Looks like it's their practise. otherwise how are they going to do it without root password? are they securing the server as normal account?

And they wouldnt refund my last $29 payment. Never mind .... you can keep my $29 ... hopefully it will help to keep your scamming business going for another day.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

FSM Has been great for me. I have let them manage one of our core servers just to see how their service is and if we can trust them because we have been burned in the past.

I can say that every issue we have had with that server has been handled and in an appropriate amount of time.

It's hard for anyone to deal with tomsyer servers as they are a reseller in someone else's DC ..

Ethan has been especially great over at fsm. He spent a great deal of time discussing options for my next server purchase on the phone with me, Giving me his input and the results of differant configs from servers he has dealt with..

Overall I would suggest that everyone read other posts about FSM. I understand the orig. poster is upset but I dont think this is a fair depictation of FSM

Paidforumposting.com The #1 content provider for forums and blogs

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

keepr,

dont you get it?

i am not sad about my data ... .i dont care as they are not important

i am not happy coz they are lying ... how can they secure the server without having my root password?

if you think they can do it on your server without root password, i would suggest all your hosting clients to move elsewhere.

NOTE: I tell my bad story about FSM ... if you guys are having great time with FSM, Please open new thread.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Have you checked the control panel to see if your root password is in there????

Perhaps it was removed at some point.

Also, Have you called the office or hit up live chat on their site?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Just a thought here, but perhaps without fully communicating it to you, the root password they *had* no longer works, so they're implying it was changed? If they have a phone number available, I would suggest that you get in contact with them, explain the situation, and see if anything can be done. If you're able to login still as root with the current password, then perhaps there is something more to this. Do they offer one-time patches, where as keepr noted, perhaps they don't store root logins to servers they only handle one-off services for? Best of luck to you whatever the case may be, I can imagine you're under quite a bit of duress at the moment.

Thanks,

mmccormick@carohosting.com

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

if they are doing a one time patches, why do i need to keep paying them monthly for $29?

sometimes in August (after engaging their service) ... we asked them to change the root password. password changed, and i didnt update the password manager as mentioned by keepr.

there are 3 months between August - November (roughly) ... if they are doing any security patches during the period, surely they find out that i didnt update the password manager. However, they didnt ask me for anything.

so what are they doing for those period?

Old
Web Hosting Master

They have severaly differant techs to work on servers. Perhaps the tech that worked on your server after the password was changed is the same one that changed the password so he was able to referance his tickets/notes.

Keeping that in mind perhaps it is a differant tech that is now servicing your machine and he is (doing what he is supposed to do) by attempting to use the password provided in the control panel.

A simple oversight, and yes I understand how this could be an upsetting situation for you. I just hate it when people start this kind of thread on WHT without doing everything they should do to work it out first. I could understand if this were an issue that you couldn't get worked out for weeks on end but Jumping in here and stating that they are ripping people off only serv's to tarnish their reputation.

I almost dont want to reply to this message because it will be bumped back up the list and people will see the title but I feel I have a point that needs to be made here.

Old
Dedicated & Managed VPS Gurus

I have to agree with keepr. We've used FSM on a few of our servers when we got busy and they were great!

Ethan and the crew at FSM provide a solid service that is well worth the fee.

Best Regards,
Darrell

Old
Retired Moderator

I believe what FSM and other companies offering security around the $30 level first perform a security check, then harded the system up. Next automated scripts are installed to perform software updates.

I have used FSM and found support helpful with any request that falls within terms. It is a good idea to subbmit a ticket to have them review security and software monthly.

Old
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally posted by Odd Fact
I believe what FSM and other companies offering security around the $30 level first perform a security check, then harded the system up. Next automated scripts are installed to perform software updates.
Using automated scripts are retarded. There other things that can go wrong during a update.

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

who said they use automated scripts?? they secured 8 of my servers and haven't had a problem since and gave me a detailed report of exactly what was done.

if you wanted to cancel, you should've at anytime they have no contract at all.

Old
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally posted by seeperhost
who said they use automated scripts?? they secured 8 of my servers and haven't had a problem since and gave me a detailed report of exactly what was done.

if you wanted to cancel, you should've at anytime they have no contract at all.
Just curious, do they keep up with updates? Like kernels and stuff?

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

I just open a ticket every month and ask them to update whatever needs to be updated. I have 8 servers with them, I'm paying like 40 cents per server per day, thats friggin cheap, especially for wat they do.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Many only make updates when they are ask, seems strange, but thats the way I have seen some do it

Old
Problem Solver

Updates should not be applied when asked, they should be applied proactive. What happens if an kernel update is released in the middle of the month? Your not patched.

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
US Loses Bid to Have Kim Dotcom Remanded in New Zealand as Court Tightens Bail Conditions Web Hosting News 2014-12-02 10:50:00
Arvixe Partners with SiteWit to Help Customers Get Found Online Web Hosting News 2014-09-17 16:40:32
New Zealand Police Investigate Money Laundering Case Against Mega Shareholder Web Hosting News 2014-08-26 13:42:02
Hackers Steal €500,000 from European Bank Using Luuuk Trojan Web Hosting News 2014-06-25 12:45:19
Federation Against Copyright Theft Tells LeaseWeb to Take Down Streaming Site or Risk Money Laundering Charges Web Hosting News 2013-12-20 10:47:35