Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Business Plan

Aussie Bob Thanks for the compliment, u belong to my generation hehe, nowadays it seems the competition is very different. To be honest, if I am starting at this time, I dont know if I will be successful. Bob, what do u think if you are starting out at this time. Those who started out this time and succeed, I really respect them.

Originally posted by Amdac
    That's exactly why I said a business plan is essential. Yes you can start a business without one and waste money and resources, but there's absolutely no reason not to sit down for an hour or two and plan things out ahead of time, possibly saving thousands of dollars and many mistakes down the road.
    I remember spending days on end getting my ideas out and onto my office whiteboard. I wish I had a photo of that whiteboard, as it would be interesting to remember my train of thinking. That served its purpose, and got the ball rolling, where each day I naturally adjusted the plan of attack. That for me happened in my head, and on the whiteboard, but each to his own.
    WLVPN.com NetProtect owned White Label VPN provider
    Increase your hosting profits by adding VPN to your product line up

Tech support is an obvious requirement for any web host company, this is knowledge obtained before starting by means of simple research.
    Tech support knowledge could also be gained from real experience, running your hosting business. If a host is starting at the reseller level, their reseller supplier can help them out with any issues they have, so they are earning while they are learning.

There's no hard and fast rules here, and each business is so unique, as people are unique. What worked well for me, might not work for other folks, or visa versa.

My comment on tech support was in regards to the quote of how time consuming it can be, not on the knowledge itself. I was stating that you should have a general idea of the amount of support required before starting a business. There's enough information in these forums alone to put together a fairly good picture of what to expect when starting a web host company.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

From my point of view, requirement of tech support gets higher as the number of customers increase but, however, starting out by sponsoring websites, I am not actually obliged to give support but providing as a voluntary act though I am trying to help and learn at the same time.

. . . There's enough information in these forums alone to put together a fairly good picture of what to expect when starting a web host company.
    Possibly so, but nothing beats real life experience.

Hey, each to his own. I got to where I wanted to go, so it was great for me. Not everyone has that kind of experience, and we're all vastly different.

Originally posted by boonchuan
    I think just go out and start selling , u will learn more practical than ponder over a business plan.
    That's probably the last thing you should do

I do think boonchuan has a business plan somewhere down the line, even a mental one in his mind. Practical and hands-on experience combined with a business plan should be a good start.

I can only remember a few things, I am already old and senile was thinking more of rosewood or oak (coffin) rather than able to remember so long passed....but basically

1. To keep the operations self sufficiency and financing.
    (I start from the affliate reseller slowly built up to server to colo etc)
    2. To ensure the company can last a long time
    (Meaning sell within your means, 1 gb for US$1 can give you (1) but u wont't last). When I started I make sure I can last 2 years at least.

As in all biz, internet or otherwise keep overheads low, keep operations stable and efficient. And keep your promises. I am a Chinese Singaporean, in Chinese culture trust is very important and I believe it is a good value in any biz or culture. Trust building is very important also.

Another thing to add maybe your accountants may disagree, dun incur debt, for eg even though u can theoretically have up to 60 days interest free on your credit card, dun take it. It may seem stupid , but when I started paying for my servers using credit card , I estimated the amount I will spend on the 1st day of the month, and send the bank a cheque, keeping a credit in the credit card. I may be losing out on the interest but it sure helps to ensure you spend within your means. All bills no matter if they come with a 30 day grace etc was paid promptly by next day mail. This ensure the whatever money left over is the money u really have, not borrowed money.

That's quite true. I don't have credit card, only a debit card at the moment. That should keep in me inline then. I can only spend when my account got money in it. You will notice that I'm from Singapore and I am a Chinese as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12