Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    First of all.. stop hating on websterworld

Secondly.. i really dont like this skin...
    The top looks terrible..
    and the bottom.. oh my god.. wth?

AdJuggler logo has been edited to have the background color..
    but the words "Advertising Managed By:" are blurry..
    same for rackspace logo..

Im going to the old skin...

this is too radical of a change. Should have done it gradually lol..
    maybe we wouldnt have noticed then lol

Now I see it. I've never changed my skin in my preferences, I wonder why it wasn't set for default?

As to the new design, I like it fine with one gripe. Please bring back the old thread icons -- the envelopes made inherent sense, the new icons do not.

This isn't an "I'll get used to it" type of thing. Big, thick threads used to be easy to pick out because of the icon -- oh, look at the fat envelope. Now, you could switch the icons around and re-label the legend -- there's no distinctiveness, no inherent meaning to the new icons.

I don't feel it adds anything to WHT, plus, i feel WHT logo needs to redesigned, it need to be a Brand, this is what really needs updating.
    Don't get me wrong, the skin is okay, just okay... nothing new, i will be switching to the old one thou.
    » Poised.com - Marketing with Passion
    Tamer o'kail - Creative Director

Web Rhino,

Just went to your site. Could you remove that splash page where I have to click something to enter it? Man, I hate nothing more than having to click a page to enter a site I thought I entered when I went to it.

ilyash, that font you use... not pleasing on the eyes. And the site takes too long to load. The dots in the background on the sides is a bit too much, makes me somewhat ill.

===
    In seriousness folks, Im not picking on Web Rhino or ilyash, they were merely the last two people to post before I wrote this that had a link to their site in their profile. People like things about sites, and dislike things about sites. That's a given. People get accustomed to things the way they are, then dislike them when they change. Their is comfort in the same, no doubt about it.

Point is, we launched the new skin for WHT and it is what it is folks. We're not changing the logo... counter intuitive to branding. We're not going back to the stock vb icons for threads... too outdated, over done, and not unique to the site.

The new skin is what it is....

If you don't like it, be thankful we gave you the option of selecting the old one. It is what it is.

Continued feedback is welcome, have at it. Constructive criticism is accepted. But, it is what it is. Enjoy it, or go back to the old skin... it is your choice!

Comments like "Jesus. How long have you been a web designer?" are just childish, immature, disrespectful, and dispicable.
    Best Regards,
    Ryan Elledge
    Chief Operating Officer, Codero Hosting

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    I'm having one big problem -- the "dot" icon for a thread I've posted in is way too similar to the standard "new posts in this thread" icon. Can't you make the "dot" icon a dot with a very obvious different color (like red) so we can easily see the threads we've posted in?

I'm changing back to the old skin until this is fixed. It's just too hard to find threads I've posted in right now.
    I really do love the look of this new skin, but I find that problem to be one that is annoying for me as well.

I would generally load up a forum (Web Hosting, for example) and drag my scrollbar slowly down the page to see what threads I had posted in. I would then open one up if they had posts made after mine, and give it a quick read. This does definitely make that a bit harder.

Good work otherwise. It looks great.
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    Shared and VPS hosting + dedicated servers and colocation.
    ... and we're green, too!
    Hosting your dreams since 1997.

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    I'm having one big problem -- the "dot" icon for a thread I've posted in is way too similar to the standard "new posts in this thread" icon. Can't you make the "dot" icon a dot with a very obvious different color (like red) so we can easily see the threads we've posted in?

I'm changing back to the old skin until this is fixed. It's just too hard to find threads I've posted in right now.
    I agree. I post a lot and I usually can't remember which posts I have posted in and which ones I haven't. With this new skin I have the a hard time distinguishing between the new post icon and the icon that says I've posted in the thread.

Ryan;
    you're point is very true to some extent, but i still insist you need to brand WHT logo.
    It depends on how you image WHT future; it's up to you and iNet.

As for our site, web rhino studios, i really hate it , but i have no time to update it, when i do it should add something new.
    » Poised.com - Marketing with Passion
    Tamer o'kail - Creative Director

Good job on the new skin

Love it

I'd also like to just mention that the Calendar link disappeared--not sure whether on purpose or not, but something to check out.

The new skin doesn't look bad at all. Its actually.. nice.

Keep up the good work.

Talking New Design

I like the new design.

It's not to bad, however i did like the rounded corners of the old design a tad better. I think the buttons should be redone as well.

Originally posted by Ryan Elledge
    Comments like "Jesus. How long have you been a web designer?" are just childish, immature, disrespectful, and dispicable.
    Seriously, that comment did seem pretty nasty. It caught me by surprise.

Maybe she's having a bad day.

Yes, it may be nice if the buttons were also changed and given a fresh new look.

That would probably make the new design even better, and make it look really new and fresh. Currently it's something like 90% great with a few old and aging buttons.

Originally posted by Web Rhino
    Ryan;
    you're point is very true to some extent, but i still insist you need to brand WHT logo.
    It depends on how you image WHT future; it's up to you and iNet.
    Ryan already stated that the WHT logo will NOT be redesigned. Insist all you want, but he's not going to change it.
    TradeViceroy

Well to be quite honest websterworld, I do see why Ryan is aggravated with you at the moment.
    <<Image removed>>

Cosmetically, the skin is pretty good. I'm disappointed in the code quality though.

I don't want to see wht upgrade to vb3.
    Last edited by anon-e-mouse; 10-30-2004 at 03:24 AM.

Overall it looks like a nice upgrade.

There seems to be a more commercial aspect to this skin (emphasis is now more on ads) which can be both a good thing, and a bad thing.

Nice work.

Simon
    EIRCA Ltd, home of The Genius Network™.

i like the new look... very nice & professional
    good job!!

One thing, the text on the PM buttons for "move" "forward" and "delete" is black on dark blue, which makes it tough to read. Maybe just change to white text? See the screenshot attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pm_buttons.gif  

I like, easy on the eyes, feels smooth. Hopefully it will have a calming influence.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

Originally posted by Ryan Elledge
    We're not going back to the stock vb icons for threads... too outdated, over done, and not unique to the site.
    You certainly don't have to switch back, but please do consider my input, which was meant as constructive criticism. The only new icon I can decipher without looking at the legend at the bottom, is the one with the padlock. The others don't convey any meaning.

Having one of the four quadrants a shade lighter can be hard to pick out. The color difference can be hard to perceive on some monitors or for some people. Instead of the upper-right quadrant being a different shade, it could be the lower-left -- the graphic conveys no meaning.

To contrast, the old icons conveyed their meaning even in grayscale, from a distance, at a glance.

You've got a good point about creating fresh, unique icons. Icons are tough, I know, yet I humbly suggest trying again.

I'm liking the new skin, makes a change, although I must admit that I freaked out a little when I saw the announcement

WHT's new look

Hey,
    First, we must congratulate the guys for the new look. It is nice to have a change always. :-)
    I did however, have two points.
    One maybe the free space is a little extra which could be reduced.

The square box about the thread status is a bit confusing.

Rest it is wonderful. The blue is a good looking shade of blue.

What do you guys think about it? I am sure a little bit feedback and the designers would be able to make it better or we if everybody else likes it, like I did, then they can pat on their back for the wonderful work. :-)

Regards
    Amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares....
    https://bobcares.in

Originally posted by Gen-T
    Seriously, that comment did seem pretty nasty. It caught me by surprise.

Maybe she's having a bad day.
    I cannot respect anyone who calls himself a "Creative Director" and displays that much ignorance about web design. Seriously... how can you get paid a salary to do web design and not know the difference between an alt attribute and a title attribute? Not only that, but blatantly disregard web standards and accepted practices for disabled web surfers, only use Internet Explorer, and assume its incorrect behavior to be correct just because it's the only browser you use? I just don't get it.

Ryan, why don't you listen to the constructive criticism offered and change the thread icons? They don't have to be the envelopes... just something that actually makes sense.

- In Opera, when you mouse over the two JS drop downs, the fields in the iNet bar disappear
    Didn't notice that before, but you're totally right. Certainly needs fixing.

I personally don't care for the mouse over color of the bottom links, and the orange arrows don't look to great either--they also look off center
    It's not that they look off centre, however they are off centre. But I do think it'd look nicer with maybe a darker orange. It seems a bit too light at the moment.

The vB 3 upgrade is coming, and when it will come the old skin will not be available. So you can use it for now, but you better get used to the new skin.
    It does not necessarily mean that they'll upgrade to vB 3. They could upgrade other things and have other enhancements; not just moving to vB 3.

I sure hope vB 3 doesn't come anytime soon
    Indeed. Hopefully we can stick with vB 2 for as long as possible. Don't like vB 3 at all. Not that I don't like change, but it doesn't seem as if they actually thought about what they were doing.

The pages do seem to take longer to load, but i'm guessing it's just me.
    TBH I've actually noticed the load time to decrease. (And I'm on 56k...)

This works correctly on real browsers.
    Firefox isn't the only real one around. There's also Opera.

Jesus. How long have you been a Web designer? When you set the alt attribute but not the title attribute (title=""), the pop up doesn't show up. Besides, that's an IE-only phenomenon, and an incorrect one at that -- technically, whatever is in the title attribute should pop up, not what it is in the alt attribute. (This works correctly on real browsers.)

Alt attributes are important for disabled users or those who use text-based web browsers. They are meant to be used in place of an image, not as a "pop up."
    Although I don't agree with Erica's wording, she does have reason in what she is saying.

the new icons do not.
    I think the new icons are great, except there needs to be a better icon used for the post that we have posted in.

The new skin is what it is....
    Obviously. And it's a great skin at that. However, is there no chance at all of rectifying problems such as us Opera users have? Or fixing images which are off centre? Or things such as the dot icon (Not bring back the old ones. The new ones are great, however it's a lot harder to see where we have posted already.)?

I cannot respect anyone who calls himself a "Creative Director" and displays that much ignorance about web design. Seriously... how can you get paid a salary to do web design and not know the difference between an alt attribute and a title attribute? Not only that, but blatantly disregard web standards and accepted practices for disabled web surfers, only use Internet Explorer, and assume its incorrect behavior to be correct just because it's the only browser you use? I just don't get it.
    Interesting you say that. Reminds me of the recently passed law in the U.K. about disabled people.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast