Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Originally posted by gregorykai
    Hi all,

My name is Greg and I am the Creative Director here at iNET. I was the one that designed this new skin. To answer your question about the difference between dot_folder and folder is that the dot_folder icon indicates you have posted in that thread.
    Great job Greg, how much you charge
    John Heslop

It's ugly, it's overly blocky and filled with color, I'll be sticking with the old skin

(probably should mention I'm a conservative as well )

I find it a bit more "today", but I'm afraid it also takes a bit longer to load. I don't care much about web design so it's fine with me.

The "quick reply" box is a bit on the left side (ie. not centered properly). I don't think it was like that.

I just ran it through the screen reader and it nearly had a cow. There is no ALT tags for the buttons or the WHT logo. It needs a little work.
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

The "quick reply" should be exactly as it was on the old default skin, as I didn't make any mods to it. It "quick reply" content in the box is centered, the text box is off center because there are those two checkboxes off to the right of it.

I'm not a big ALT tag user.. Besides all navigational links in the top and bottom nav are text and not images. There isn't much that would really need ALT tags.. all buttons within the forum are generated by vBulletin and they have ALT already.
    Last edited by gregorykai; 10-29-2004 at 01:34 PM.

Well....they should be used. Some people will surf this board with the images off and won't know what buttons, etc to click on. Also lack of ALT tags make it harder for sight impaired users to navigate the board.

Edit: Also I'm not talking about the vB buttons, it's the buttons on the new skin.

I'm not a big ALT tag user.. Besides all navigational links in the top and bottom nav are text and not images. There isn't much that would really need ALT tags.. all buttons within the forum are generated by vBulletin and they have ALT already.
    Last edited by KimmiKat; 10-29-2004 at 01:39 PM.
    73's, Kim

The only "buttons" are the drop down menus for the showcases and the arrows (top and back) in the footer.. Is that what you are talking about? Everything else is text based.

I don't really want "ALT" tags for the drop down menus for the showcases because when the "ALT" text shows up on the screen it will cover up part of the drop down menu that appears.

I like the new look, seems quicker and i prefer the subtle colour changes.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

I ran the skin through the screen reader again. Somehow it tagged those navigation links as buttons when they're not.

The arrows probably should have ALT as the WHT logo. As for the drop down menus, no matter what kind is used, the screen reader does not recognize them since they use javascript. You're right, an ALT tag there may get in the way of the menu.

The only "buttons" are the drop down menus for the showcases and the arrows (top and back) in the footer.. Is that what you are talking about? Everything else is text based.

I don't really want "ALT" tags for the drop down menus for the showcases because when the "ALT" text shows up on the screen it will cover up part of the drop down menu that appears.
    73's, Kim

I enjoy the new skin. Great work guys!!!!!

Ok, I just read the whole thread. What new skin? Do I have to specifically choose it or something?
    Eric J. Bowman, principal
    Bison Systems Corporation coming soon: a new sig!
    I'm just a poor, unfrozen caveman Webmaster. Your new 'standards' frighten, and confuse me...

Yes, in Edit Options.

Eric: If, in your profile, you have the old WHT skin selected (instead of 'use forum default') then yes, you will have to manually change it.

Edit: Beat by a minute!

Jesus. How long have you been a Web designer? When you set the alt attribute but not the title attribute (title=""), the popup doesn't show up. Besides, that's an IE-only phenomenon, and an incorrect one at that -- technically, whatever is in the title attribute should pop up, not what it is in the alt attribute. (This works correctly on real browsers.)

Alt attributes are important for disabled users or those who use text-based web browsers. They are meant to be used in place of an image, not as a "popup."

I like the new skin and haven't ran into any problems *yet* so I think I shall stay with this. Good job iNET.

I'm having one big problem -- the "dot" icon for a thread I've posted in is way too similar to the standard "new posts in this thread" icon. Can't you make the "dot" icon a dot with a very obvious different color (like red) so we can easily see the threads we've posted in?

I'm changing back to the old skin until this is fixed. It's just too hard to find threads I've posted in right now.

Originally posted by Simpli-Erica
    I'm having one big problem -- the "dot" icon for a thread I've posted in is way too similar to the standard "new posts in this thread" icon. Can't you make the "dot" icon a dot with a very obvious different color (like red) so we can easily see the threads we've posted in?

I'm changing back to the old skin until this is fixed. It's just too hard to find threads I've posted in right now.
    I agree. I was going to say that too.
    ·· Repeat after me... ProSupport is the best... Prosupport is... ··
    ProSupport Host Support System - OUT NOW! Grab a copy yourself and see what the hype is about!
    VertiHost Inc. - We run a quality business. Do you?

Originally posted by websterworld
    Really?

http://www.freewebhostingtalk.com/
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/
    http://www.domainnametalk.com/
    http://www.httptalk.com/forum/
    http://www.webtraffictalk.com/
    http://www.namematters.com/
    http://www.phpnull.com/

All by: http://www.vbulletinskinz.com/

I dont want to start anything, but making one skin and then redoing its color scheme over and over and over and over again... ehh.

I personally dont like it, and I'm not going to argue.
    All I am saying is, that the usual skin should be ported as well.

Eugene
    "Making one skin and redoing its color scheme" is not what I really intend in doing. Designs like Mac-forums and Httptalk are most liked by all our clients and they request me to have their skins like the above mentioned. I'm here to satisfy them and not others , as I work upon specifications. In addition, the designs may look similar as they follow the same structure (top/bottom banner - side column) but none of the graphics are reused. Let's not divert from the topic, if you've got anything else to say, have it sent by PM.

Job well-done Greg!
    SLEEK BANNERSVBULLETIN SKINZ
    Strives to create Innovative Solutions to Visual Communication needs!

P3RPL3XITY.COM [ A new dimension for a new web experience - " It's a new frontier for web related activities " ]

Overall, I like it. I still need some time to get used to it.
    Originally posted by BigBison
    Ok, I just read the whole thread. What new skin? Do I have to specifically choose it or something?
    I had to go set my option too, which makes me wonder how many people are not seeing the new look.

I like the new skin too, about time, and great job.

I really enjoy the new skin, great work!
    Max

I think the old one looks better, but... who cares.

It's just a new shade of lipstick on the same old chicken.

Considering chickens don't have lips it doesn't really change anything. This whole thread seems a rehash of the last time WHT got a facelift.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Everyone else beat me to the statement about the difference between alt text and title text so I'll leave that alone, though I will say it's unfortunate IE doesn't know the difference. It causes confusion on the part of developers who might tend to believe IE's presentation of alt text is proper and develop sites according to that.

But I do want to say I really like how the banner advertising areas show up much nicer when advertising is blocked. I filter out banner ads (I haven't seen a banner on a Web site in almost a year), and the background used behind the ads blend in so much more nicely in this skin than the old one, which just left a big, empty space. Good work there, and good work overall!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I like the new look. Well done!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast