hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : cheap tv doing more harm than good

Forum Jump

cheap tv doing more harm than good

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2004, 05:40 AM
Web Hosting Master

cheap tv doing more harm than good

ok i bought a cheap tellevision, from ADSA (part of the wal mart family) and all was good.

When i say cheap i mean 69.99

Anyway so i set it up, turn it on and the first thing i notice is the high pitched noise that comes from it is about 5 times louder than normal but i never thought anything of it.

However, in the last week, trying to get to sleep has been hard because i keep hearing loud high pitched bangs in my ears....

So ill be lyin in bed falling asleap and a high pitched firework goes off in my ear... not just fireworkds, the sound electricity makes when theres a lot of it (like in a transformer) i get that... but propper high pitched and it wakes me up.

Anyone who knows anything about sound, tvs etc please comment (this isnt the only place ill be looking for info, i.e my doctor) but comments would be nice ta.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2004, 05:46 AM
Internet Jedi

I still have an old "GoldStar" (now known as LG) tv at home that started making those sounds about 4 months ago.

You get that high pitch sound when the TV is on because of an old/broken tube.
When it's turned off, you can hear the electric buzz from the transformer (not sure it's called that).

These are all signs that:
1. it's a really old tv set
2. it's a new one, but with extremely cheap parts and maybe asembled somewhere on a boat heading for the US.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:48 AM
Web Hosting Master

go swap it at asda and get a nice Sticker...

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2004, 05:54 AM
Retired Moderator

ASDA are normally very good on exchanging stuff, take it back, explain whats wrong and get another one.

If they have them on display in the store go stand next to one and see if that makes the same sort of noise.

One of our old Sony TVs actually made that noise, I could hear it and it wasn't even in my room, was very annoying! Switched every TV over to LCD now so no more problems.

Old 10-22-2004, 05:57 AM
Web Hosting Master

plz understand the post...

when i start to fall asleap i start to hear high pitched bangs and fuzz and im losing sleap over it.

my research seems to link it with my cheap tv, exposure to high frequency noise can cause sleep disorders and damage to the ears...

so how about a lawsuit?

Old 10-22-2004, 06:00 AM
Internet Jedi

don't even go there. you don't have the grounds for a lawsuit before you even try to get this sorted with ASDA.

Only after they replace the TV and you still get the high pitch sounds, you should ask for another brand (maybe it's a broken lot).

If you still get that, then you have the grounds for a lawsuit, but not before.

Or do what everyone else is doing: unplug the TV before you fall asleep

Old 10-22-2004, 06:01 AM
Web Hosting Master

Hmmm...

You get what you pay for

Old 10-22-2004, 06:26 AM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
so how about a lawsuit?
I knew things in the UK were getting bad with people trying to get money out of other people but this is a joke. You haven't even tried to explore the possiblity of correcting the problem. Take it back to ASDA and get it replaced. If that still has the problem try another batch from another store.

If after extensive research you can prove that the brand of TV is out putting a high pitched signal then you can do something about it, most likely the brand owner will remove it from the shops, or find out what is causing the problem.

If it is really causing you such terrible sleep problems why haven't you just unplugged it before you go to bed? Saves some electricity and you get to sleep.

Old 10-22-2004, 06:47 AM
working on it

Quote:
Originally posted by tickbomb
plz understand the post...

when i start to fall asleap i start to hear high pitched bangs and fuzz and im losing sleap over it.

my research seems to link it with my cheap tv, exposure to high frequency noise can cause sleep disorders and damage to the ears...

so how about a lawsuit?

Is the noise some kind of transformer noise or are you complaining about the audio quality ?

I doubt there is anything much you can do if your complaint is about the audio quality effecting you unless its defective.

Most low cost tvs have terrible audio quality. Even mine is but I use a pair of good headphones at night because it muffles out the external noise and so I can keep the volume low. [It also prevents my mother from getting mad lol]

Old 10-22-2004, 09:07 AM
Disabled

HELP

U NEED SERIOUS HELP

Old 10-22-2004, 09:13 AM
Internet Jedi

^ who is this joker?

As for your problem tickbomb, you should do what we suggested. Go and have it replaced, don't start the legal procedures unless you have the solid grounds for it.

Old 10-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Web Hosting Master

hokay i had it replaced today (i had to carry the new one on my head all the way back from asda coz the bas**rd was to heavy to carry but all is good, the new one makes a tonne of noise and as for Vortex-Steve's hilarious comment... i hope you are not American, because that would make me laugh, what country started the trend of filing lawsuits against mcdonalds for making them fat. Anyway it was a sudgestion so dont critisize countries that you dont live in.

Old 10-22-2004, 01:41 PM
Retired Moderator

If you had looked at my profile you would of seen I do in fact live in England. I do not see what is so "hilarious" about my comments. Any normal person would look to solve your problem by contacting the retailer or manufacturer. What good is sueing them going to do you?

Old 10-22-2004, 02:20 PM
Temporarily Suspended

If you didnt go for such a cheap product in the first place you wouldn't have a problem.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
UK and Canadian Companies Consider Data Sovereignty Key Factor in Web Host Selection Web Hosting News 2014-01-07 17:31:07
Blackfoot Hosting Ltd Listing 2014-04-23 18:32:07
ICANN Releases New gTLD Name Collision Proposal Web Hosting News 2013-10-09 15:26:45
DOJ Opposes Tech Firms' Request to Publish PRISM Data Web Hosting News 2013-10-03 11:04:07
Business Networking Events Video - October 2012 - New York City Whir Tv 2013-10-05 03:22:23