hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Design and Content : Do templates put out the right message?

Forum Jump

Do templates put out the right message?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thumbs down

Do templates put out the right message?

I've noticed lots of people on this site use templates for their hosting websites, or having templates for sell. I realized this will probably be an unpopular post considering that, but I just want to throw it out there.

Is using a template for your company really a good way to go? To me it just seems to portray the wrong message for your company. Of course your website is the first stop for potential customers, so when they see you look like everyone else, will they really want to go with you? I also realize that templates look different from one another, but I believe they are still easily identifiable.

Anyways, just throwing this out there. Not trying to set off any bad vibes or whatnot, just want to see what everyone thanks.

- Steven

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Nothing to see move along.

well to be honest just how many ways are there to lay out a square page? every page on the planet looks similar to a certain degree its what you do to change it slightly that counts....

Old 10-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by phill2003
well to be honest just how many ways are there to lay out a square page?
I'm not sure? Probably billions? Maybe more?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2004, 12:17 PM
Web Hosting Master

We choose not to use templates. We design in-house. But we may have something designed in the future.

Old 10-18-2004, 12:18 PM
iNET Senior Community Advisor

Re: Do templates put out the right message?

Quote:
Originally posted by sophic
. . . just want to see what everyone thanks. . .
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=326595 pretty much sums it up.

Old 10-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

thanks for the link....

Old 10-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by sophic
I'm not sure? Probably billions? Maybe more?
templates in my opinion are generally for people who dont have the money to pay for a real designer and also for people who have limited design skills.

it isnt that it is that bad to have a template, its that the templates i have seen are that bad.

lots of them with those ridiculous puffy looking images and that weird blue/green/orange color scheme.

kinda reminds me of a circus.

youre right, they all have started looking the same havent they. actually they always did.

pity...

Old 10-18-2004, 01:40 PM
Web Hosting Master

Very vague question.

As a designer, it all depends on how the template is implemented and the kind of template it is. If it's an exclusive template designed just for you, implemented right I can't see any problems.

If it's a design that 10 other hosts have and you pay someone 10 bucks to do a "good" implementation job...well, you get what you pay for.

Old 10-18-2004, 01:47 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

Every site is a template in one way or another. If you can remove the content from a page and replace it with another page's worth of content, save it and integrate it into your site, congratulations, you have a template. The question has to do with uniqueness and the quality of templates being produced.

I'm having a little conversation right now in the Web Design and Content section with TMonster (the WHT member who I assume is a legitimate representative of Template Monster, certainly seems to be). As I stated there, my issue has to do with the poor engineering I've encountered in templates, not so much problems with the visual design. The visual design for hositng sites is still a bit thematic for my tastes, but for general design, they have some really nice graphic design. The part that remains to be seen is whether or not the important part, the engineering is up to snuff. If history tells us anything, the answer is an emphatic "no," but I haven't looked at the coding of a new template in a while, so maybe this has changed.

Old 10-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Web Hosting Master

paul! how COULD you!

Old 10-18-2004, 10:24 PM
Community Liaison 2.0

Lauren my dear, please follow the dominos with me

Independent developers who do custom work have little interest in clients who are looking for a site for a hundred bucks, right? Plus, fly-by-night hosts and scammers can't afford unique design, which saves us from various types of liability. So they turn to template sites.

Our reputations are unsoiled by the people looking to make a quick buck - they couldn't afford our services in the first place. So that's one conern handled (less no-pay clients running away with our stolen work). The legitimate sites that start with a very low budget, a budget we wouldn't touch in the first place, eventually realize they need/want a unique brand of their own. This is a need they would never have had unless they had started somewhere! I've had more than a few customers this year alone who previously worked with templates, and are ready for unique design. I have a no-contest bid on the table for an $8k contract, the results of which I'll know in the next week or two. This would never have been possible if they hadn't gotten their start with a simple template, not supplied by a template company in this case (I think it was a FrontPage template *shudder*), but the idea is the same.

I have no problem with Template Monster or any other template company. They do good business for themselves, and in the process open up new markets for us

You see? There's plenty of room for all of us, and in fact, we all help each other out in the long run!

Old 10-19-2004, 12:41 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by LaurenStephens
lots of them with those ridiculous puffy looking images and that weird blue/green/orange color scheme.

kinda reminds me of a circus.

youre right, they all have started looking the same havent they. actually they always did.

pity...
I think you can spot them right when they are first loaded in your browser. If I'm looking for a hosting company, and were to come across something that looks like a template, I'd look elsewhere. A good website is the #1 public relations tool for any business trying to reach customers online. It speaks more about your company than almost anything else.

I believe there is a natural cycle that occurs with every form of technology (the internet) that's made available for public consumption. In the beginning, only the elite or the "insiders" are given access to the technology. Then the rich. Then those who are well-off, then the masses. When you look at someone who has a template for their company website, you have made it to the masses portion of the cycle.

this is my vauge response to my initial vauge question

Old 10-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Evenly Divided

Quote:
Originally posted by KIA-Joe
We choose not to use templates. We design in-house. But we may have something designed in the future.
lol, isn't the first link in sig a temp!?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:38 AM
Web Hosting Master

I don't understand why you lot go over board about the use of templates.

when will you realize your customers are not web designers, as long as your site doesn't look tacky, it don't really mater to them.

your website is like your office! most buildings i see are made of bricks or glass etc not much to choose from . why don't u be different there and operate from a tent?

Old 10-20-2004, 06:51 AM
rogue element

I see we have two current threads on templates. As I have said my piece in the other thread, I'll provide a link:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=333063

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
ServerPoint Launches New Cloud VPS Hosting Solution Web Hosting News 2013-07-12 09:20:41
UK2 Upgrades Website Builder Product and Package Web Hosting News 2013-05-16 13:09:17
Web Host SoftLayer Launches Message Queue Service for Scalable Software System Communication Web Hosting News 2012-09-13 17:26:30
Web Hosting Talk Message Board Back Online Following DDoS Attack Web Hosting News 2012-09-12 11:59:42
Amazon Integrates Templates, Auto-Scaling Features with Spot Instances Web Hosting News 2012-06-08 13:45:53