hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Expired domains are not available!

Forum Jump

Expired domains are not available!

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2002, 01:26 PM

Angry

Expired domains are not available!

I have found a nice domain that was taken but not used. So I waited till it expires to register it by myself. It expired in September 2001! and was not updated since then. But still it is impossible to register it It was not even placed on hold. How comes? Registrar is NSI.

Now I have another expired (couple of days ago) domain with NSI that I would like to register. Will it be the same?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2002, 02:40 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Welcome to the wonderful land of expired domains.

If someone has the real story, lay it on us, but here is what I have picked up in my pursuits of expired domains:

1) All registrars hold the domain for a number of days (40 I think) after it expires. This gives a fair chance to the owner to register it. This happened to me and I was EXTREMELY greateful for the delay.

2) Now, here is where it gets funky. In my experience all registrars (EXCEPT NSI) release the domains after the 40th day. THis is without fail as I have seen lists of expired domains at Name Winner (http://www.namewinner.com) and the day they are due they are available. I know they aren't NSI domains due to the fact that the WhoIs record the day before they drop shows a different registrar.

3) As for NSI domains ... I haven't had one drop yet, but I have only been buying expired domains for 4 months. I think there was some talk that they were hoarding the domains in an effort to create an auction for them. Also, Snap Names is owned by them. Snap Names allows you to bid on domains that are about to expire. Hmmm, no conflict there ;-)

Anyway, this is all based on my personal experience and what I have learned observing the process ... I may be totally wacked out on this, though.

Old 01-24-2002, 03:44 PM

So as I understand this is normal for NSI and there is nothing I can do with it...

Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2002, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pgrote

1) All registrars hold the domain for a number of days (40 I think) after it expires. This gives a fair chance to the owner to register it. This happened to me and I was EXTREMELY greateful for the delay.

so after 40 days me and the owner of the domain have both 50-50 chances to get the domain?

Old 01-24-2002, 05:25 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel78

so after 40 days me and the owner of the domain have both 50-50 chances to get the domain?
What this really means is that after a domain drops, anyone has an equal chance at it. OpenSRS drops domains on schedule - however NetSol doesn't have a policy and therefor drops are not predictable.

One of my regular users - not a snapnames or expirefish user - just snagged a domain that was being watched on both of those services already - just by using the normal registration interface on my site and manually registering it when it dropped.

I suppose the timing of these is dependant on how hard the automated services are working at the time - if one person is trying to grab a domain manually and snapnames is trying to grab 10000, who is more likely to get it? If you know when to start asking, I suspect your chances are pretty fair.

This does prove to me that today's approaches to grabbing dropped domain names are fair ad competive at least.

-t

Old 01-24-2002, 06:18 PM

Sure you can grab the domain all by your self, but first you have to have a lot of free time or a good pearl script, but as I m trying to finally get that peace of paper from the University i m kinda short on free time...so snapnames got one customer ( a tryout just to see if it's really worth 69$, domain aint that interesting)

Old 01-24-2002, 08:38 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by thewitt
[SNIP]
One of my regular users - not a snapnames or expirefish user - just snagged a domain that was being watched on both of those services already - just by using the normal registration interface on my site and manually registering it when it dropped.[/SNIP]

-t
Wow. That is good to hear . A couple of names I'm waiting for are already reserved on snapnames and expirefish by someone else so I can't put my name down for them.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Nominet Plans to Make Shorter .UK Domains Available Starting June 10 Web Hosting News 2014-02-03 12:08:10
Windows Azure SSL Slip-up Brings SSL Checker Tools Business Blog 2013-02-26 12:25:08
Expired SSL Certificate Brings Down Windows Azure Cloud Web Hosting News 2013-02-25 10:38:00
Go Daddy Blocks Whois Info on Expiring Domains, Protects Domain Auction Business Web Hosting News 2012-11-14 11:20:35
New Heart Internet Feature Helps Customers Sell Unwanted Domains through Control Panel Web Hosting News 2012-09-05 15:17:37