I was clicking through the sites on our Windows 2003 Standard Server last night and when I clicked a link I got hit with a popup dialog asking for a password. This was for a link that worked just fine a few clicks ago and is not protected by any ntfs permissions.

After the password challenge I had to close the borwser and reopen the site before any links would work. I am baffled to why this happened. I am sure this is the reason why the clients are upset that they are getting less hits than they used to and their orders have almost faded to nothing.... The server isn't working correctly.

I see this error recently showing up in my logs and there is no google or M$ help available for it. Btw, the site that threw the password challenge dialog is made in ASP and the file the link was to open was a Asp file on the same site(local). This link worked fine when clicked many times before.

Error:
The registry key for IIS subauthenticator is not configured correctly on local machine, the anonymous password sync feature is disabled.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
Any help appreciated.