hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Put Domain Registration in Perspective

Forum Jump

Put Domain Registration in Perspective

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Put Domain Registration in Perspective

I see so many posts regarding finding the cheapest domain registrar and/or those who are using cheap registrars and having major problems, particularly with ownership changes and transfers.

I guess I have a very different approach to domain registration as many. To me it is a customer accomodation. I don't make any money off it. I just want it to be solid, stable and reputable. For that reason, I have always stuck with OpenSRS and Dotster and have never had any problems.

I think of it sort of like a setup fee. I don't charge setup fees, and don't try to make money with domain registration. I want to earn my way with the long-term relationship with a hosting customer. And I do want to start off on good footing, so I use registrars I trust and don't go for the cheap.

Just they way I look at it.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

I agree, I also only offer domain registration as sort of an extra service for my hosting customers.

I use Dotster and am satisfied with it, however sometimes I do look around for cheaper alternatives - cause if there was cheaper but still as good service somewhere else this might actually mean some money in the end.
Lets say 100 domains and I could get $3 better price each - that would be $300 a year...

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

yes I agree with Incognito 100%......although, I still consider openSRS pretty cheap..........considering their solid reputation...

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

I wouldn't say Dotster offers a good experience for your customers.

I just spent a week and a half attempting to work with them on a domain transfer and had horrible luck. Email response was 7 days with curt answers.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Quote:
Originally posted by pgrote
I wouldn't say Dotster offers a good experience for your customers.

I just spent a week and a half attempting to work with them on a domain transfer and had horrible luck. Email response was 7 days with curt answers.
I have the opposite experience with Dotster. I have contacted support twice and gotten fast response both times.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

I wish I could say the same but cannot. I am not a reseller so I am not treated as such. Last year I made the migration over to Dotster from Register.com for cost reasons and now feeling their bite. I had to manage a few of my domains and all account defaults and the 2-3 day wait on support replys, and this "not our problem" attitude on issues that are still not resolved just is not worth my time and frustration.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Scott -- Agreed.

Basically it was "tough luck" and that was it.

Maybe what I faied to do was draw the distinction between reseller and end user support. I was speaking only on end user support.

Thanks!

Old
Disabled

I don't beleive you will find any registrars listed in this forum that someone hasn't had a bad experience with. Honestly, they all do a good job. I can't imagine what it must be like to deal with running a registrar, let alone dealing with the volume of customers each registrar has.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOp
I don't beleive you will find any registrars listed in this forum that someone hasn't had a bad experience with. [clip]
I take exception to this remark .

-t

Old
Disabled

I said "registrars", not "resellers". Huge difference.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by TheOp
I said "registrars", not "resellers". Huge difference.
You stinker. Got me there

-t

Old
Web Hosting Master

Transfer to Dotster

I have transferred hundreds of domains to Dotster, but none away. My experience transferring to them has been very good. Only problems have been with some of the registrars transferring from. Transferring from OpenSrs to Dotster has always been very smooth and quick for instance.

Old
Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by thewitt

You stinker. Got me there

-t

hehe...

Old

I use Dotster and have had great experience with them. I have about 4 domains with them. Only complaint is that they say they charge $14.95 per domain. But that's just to park it. If you want to edit DNS settings that an additional $10.

But it's still cheaper than many places, reliable and easy to use....not like Netsol...

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Google Domains: The Winner and the Losers Blog 2014-06-27 12:04:31
GoDaddy Gets Patent Related to Preferred Domain Positioning on Registration Website Web Hosting News 2014-01-03 13:49:02
Nigeria Internet Registration Association Offers Free ccTLDs to Encourage .ng Domain Adoption Web Hosting News 2014-01-02 14:46:24
GoDaddy Launches Pre-Registration for 14 New gTLDs Web Hosting News 2013-12-11 11:49:39
Office 365 Integrates GoDaddy Domain Name Registration Web Hosting News 2013-10-09 13:18:05