Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is 1000GB transfer == 500GB down/500GB up?

I've signed up for a Tranxactglobal plan recently and they upped my transfer from 400GB to 1000GB transfer with a custom plan. Little did I know that the 1000GB transfer was actually 500GB down/500GB up and was told that if I wanted 1000GB up/1000GB down, I'd have to write to Jeff Hinkle (the guy who customized my plan in the first place).

Is this the usual industry practice? I ask because this is my first time purchasing a server with large transfer allocation (for my company).

Thanks for any advice

well, *most* places are usually the sum or the 2. so say if you had a plan with 1000gb, you could do it in any combination , 800gb in + 200gb out, 500gb both ways. etc. tranxactglobal is one of the few places that have that total divided in half like if its 1000gb than its 500/500. If you look at their forums they have a poll where the admin asked if the customers would rather have it with the total, so far its like 17-0 in favor of total for the voting. So probably they might change it. the only thing that scared me about grabbing a box there was exactly what you are talking about.

Thanks for letting me know about that thread. I found it (oops, can't post URLs yet) and saw your post there too.

Well, I really didn't know that it was like this when I signed up and to my knowledge it wasn't stated anywhere in their site. I think I'll probably cancel unless they can give make it combined up/down transfer for me.

It is not a usual business practise at all. In fact it is very unusual, and obviously in favour of the host. I will never use a host with that kind of "creative" marketing.

Everyone knows that IN is usually (for 99% of all hosting customers) only around 2-5 % of OUT. Yet they make it sound like dividing the total BW equally into 2 halfs is a good or usual thing.

It is simply a tricky way to advertise more than they actually deliver

If find it an annoying practise and I rather not deal with such hosts
    Last edited by Erich; 10-07-2004 at 01:14 PM.

It's sad that some hosts are still using this as marketing hype

Ack, it's mentioned in their TOS. Shows how it important it is to read every single word of it.

Just an update. I just wrote back to one of their guys asking if they would be making it combined anytime soon as the forum thread (at Tranxactglobal) would seem to suggest. Really hope I can come back with good news (otherwise I'd have some explaining to do to my boss! )

We use the sum of the two, up and down, as that would truly be 1000GB of bandwidth. If they mean 500 up and 500 down they should definately specify.
    Karl Zimmerman - Founder & CEO of Steadfast
    VMware Virtual Data Center Platform

karl @ steadfast.net - Sales/Support: 312-602-2689
    Cloud Hosting, Managed Dedicated Servers, Chicago Colocation, and New Jersey Colocation

Yeah be very careful of that. If you make any agreements, get them in writing. ..... such as monitoring of your bandwidth, etc. Sometimes you might be talking about a deal with a seller and they fail to mention some key points (such as 500 in/out) just to get a quick sale....then leave it up to the fine print to save them later...while they run off with your money.

We had run into a problem with Solidrack.com because of that very issue and it doesnt help that their support is lousy too.

Be wary.

Personally I would go with a company that offers true bandwidth numbers. When they say youre getting 1000 gb, you should be able to use that any way you want.

Some hosts measure it 500GB IN + 500GB OUT, some measure 1000GB total (IN+OUT=1000), and some measure 1000GB on 95th percentile mesuring. Make sure you know what your host uses.

Interesting. I didn't think anyone still did this. We only measure the greater of the two.

Aaron
    Aaron Wendel
    Wholesale Internet, Inc. - http://www.wholesaleinternet.net
    Kansas City Internet eXchange - http://www.kcix.net

Originally posted by Erich
    Everyone knows that IN is usually (for 99% of all hosting customers) only around 2-5 % of OUT.
    That's a way low estimate. I would say a much better estimate would be between 10-20%, although it can vary significantly.

500+500 is a common split for dedicated providers, as is IN+OUT=1000 as is MAX(IN,OUT)=1000. Always make sure you know what you're buying, simple.

Either way though, if you had 400 GB before, it sounds like you're getting more, even if it's not as much as you would really think, it's still an increase.

Anyway, none of the methods are a "true" measure any more than the others; when you say something as imprecise as "you get 1000 GB of bandwidth" there's no precise correct answer. All of the above methods give you 1000 GB (max actually gives you more)... it's your obligation to know how you're being billed.
    Jim Reardon - jim/amusive.com

We are studying the possibility to change it to Combined bandwith. You will have to wait and see.
    ^_^

Originally posted by amusive.com

500+500 is a common split for dedicated providers

No it is not

Originally posted by amusive.com
    That's a way low estimate. I would say a much better estimate would be between 10-20%, although it can vary significantly.

I really have to wonder where you are pulling these numbers from?

20% is ridiculously high. I was talking about the average for the huge majority of hosting customers.

Not about some peak you get on a single day where you pulled a huge tar file from another server. Monthly AVERAGE is obviously the issue here.

For web site hosting the IN should be around 4% of OUT

A few dedicated providers are still using this marketing tactic these days, just make sure you are careful.. We were charged a total of $1800 over the course of two months because of this at LiquidWeb.com

Originally posted by Erich
    I really have to wonder where you are pulling these numbers from?

20% is ridiculously high. I was talking about the average for the huge majority of hosting customers.

Not about some peak you get on a single day where you pulled a huge tar file from another server. Monthly AVERAGE is obviously the issue here.

For web site hosting the IN should be around 4% of OUT
    Where do you pull the numbers from? I have mine from my own webservers and from a previous thread (either here on EV1's forums) where people were posting theirs.

My peak is about 100% matched. My low is about 10%. My average is about 12%. Yes, 20% is high. 4% is low.

Also I'm curious why you think there is a value it "should" be? It's fairly dependent on the size of pages and images served (size of request / size of transmission). You probably just serve either a lot of files or a lot of large pages/images. I serve a more reasonable mix between images and pages, and do not do many file downloads.

And despite what you say, it IS common. It's not necessarily the best way, but several providers use this methodology, although the number is decreasing. Just because your personal opinion of a practice disagrees with it does not mean you can say it's uncommon.

Well, I'm back and I have good news. Jeff Hinkle (of Tranxactglobal and GNAX) has said that he will scrap the 50% IN, 50% OUT thing and have it combined. He will announce this next week.

And I'm not sure if any "industry-wide" figures would be of any use like amusive.com says, because it all depends on how you use it.

I'd be using that server at Tranxactglobal for mirroring software downloads, so I reckon it could run even to 99.5% OUT. I was disappointed that Tranxactglobal didn't warn me about the 50-50 thing when I mentioned that ("that" being my using it as a software download mirror) to them in my sales inquiry, but at least they've redeemed themselves by changing it.

Absolutely, if you're doing file downloads you'll see a very high percentage out (I'm not sure about 99.5 -- there still is CRC checking, stuff like that, which will contribute probably a bit more than .5%).

WOW, this is a very nice/good move from GNAX!!!!!!!! Very nice..

Well maybe you should start offering some VOIP(teamspeak, ventrilo) then your outbound will increase so u can get what you pay for

Originally posted by redemption
    Well, I'm back and I have good news. Jeff Hinkle (of Tranxactglobal and GNAX) has said that he will scrap the 50% IN, 50% OUT thing and have it combined. He will announce this next week.

And I'm not sure if any "industry-wide" figures would be of any use like amusive.com says, because it all depends on how you use it.

I'd be using that server at Tranxactglobal for mirroring software downloads, so I reckon it could run even to 99.5% OUT. I was disappointed that Tranxactglobal didn't warn me about the 50-50 thing when I mentioned that ("that" being my using it as a software download mirror) to them in my sales inquiry, but at least they've redeemed themselves by changing it.

this is official for october billings on 11/1
    Dedicated Servers
    WWW.NETDEPOT.COM
    Since 2000

Originally posted by universal2001
    WOW, this is a very nice/good move from GNAX!!!!!!!! Very nice..
    Maybe Liquidweb can follow this example ?

Originally posted by dan325ci
    Yeah be very careful of that. If you make any agreements, get them in writing. ..... such as monitoring of your bandwidth, etc. Sometimes you might be talking about a deal with a seller and they fail to mention some key points (such as 500 in/out) just to get a quick sale....then leave it up to the fine print to save them later...while they run off with your money.

We had run into a problem with Solidrack.com because of that very issue and it doesnt help that their support is lousy too.

Daniel,

You exceeded your bandwidth and we were charging you for that, because GNAX was charging us for it. The fact that we charge you for exceeding your bandwidth limit does not mean that we run off with your money, we simply pay the bandwidth overage bill that we get from GNAX.

On top of that you claim that our support is lousy but that comment really doesn't make any sense.

Originally posted by Apoc
    Daniel,

You exceeded your bandwidth and we were charging you for that, because GNAX was charging us for it. The fact that we charge you for exceeding your bandwidth limit does not mean that we run off with your money, we simply pay the bandwidth overage bill that we get from GNAX.

On top of that you claim that our support is lousy but that comment really doesn't make any sense.
    It doesnt make any sense to others (although you know EXACTLY why that comment does indeed make sense) because I havent got into details yet. So, dont worry that will come out after c/c company has finished their investigation. Your service is lousy, plain and simple.

For those who want a sneak preview....the overage bandwidth was as a result of you NOT monitoring the bandwidth as you said you would do in our first correspondence right before i sent the money to sign up for the server. (Big mistake) Also, they pocketed a ton of prepaid fees (to lower monthly cost) which were to take effect AFTER 2 months. ...anyways, C/C company is taking over this...and i cannot comment any further.

I dont want to get into a discussion with you in this thread as we will get off topic. Full review will be given in due time. All I can say to those who sign up with Solidrack is to be wary for now.
    Last edited by Webfanatic; 10-08-2004 at 04:54 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast