Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

* Web Host Templates, why bother?!

Hello,

I was wondering what your views are on company's using web templates (mainly from templatemonster) for their site?

I'm personnally sick of seeing people use them, in my eye's it shows they have not made any effort in designing the site themselves or even bothering to cash out on a designer to design them a site.

I'm also sick of seeing all these "business" like (models) people on layouts, and so on.. I just find them funny.

Sorry about me complaining but I want to hear other peoples views

Sorry if I have offended anyone.. but i'm just sharing my views.

I AGREE.

It pisses me off, if you cant make a half decent website - dont bother even starting a webhosting business.

Now, I could really goto town on this one - but I've got better things to do.

//END RANT!

I agree, it also makes the company look lazy. The websites take 10hours to load because of all the flash effects saying "we run the best web solutions in the world" and so on, if you make the best web solutions in the world why the hell arn't you designing your site?!

I'm not talking about any site, just general web host sites which use templates

Why buy a car that looks like thousands of others?

Why focus on what you're good at?

Why ask why?

Web hosting is a service industry. We sell a service. We aren't web designers (some of us), nor do we aspire to be.

We are selling a service.

Whether we use a template or spend thousands of dollars or anywhere in between, it ultimately comes down to the service you provide.

If you've seen too many templated web hosting sites, it's because you've looked at too many templates and too many hosts. Focus on making yourself better. Differentiate yourself from the competition. Sell the service.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Does the end user care if their host can make a website if the host is not making the customers website?

Its the hosting companies that use the cheap layouts which loads of other hosting companies use.
    If a hosting company is good they would hire someone to make them one or buy a unique one i dont have any problems with that

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    Why buy a car that looks like thousands of others?

Why focus on what you're good at?

Why ask why?

Web hosting is a service industry. We sell a service. We aren't web designers (some of us), nor do we aspire to be.

We are selling a service.

Whether we use a template or spend thousands of dollars or anywhere in between, it ultimately comes down to the service you provide.

If you've seen too many templated web hosting sites, it's because you've looked at too many templates and too many hosts. Focus on making yourself better. Differentiate yourself from the competition. Sell the service.
    If you're selling a service to those that ultimately will be either designing, building, or creating a website and you can't take the time to create a point of differentiation, demonstrate you understand their business and demonstrate capability, you're just another wannabe among the faceless masses. If you can't afford to properly brand and differentiate your business front to back you ought not be there in the first place.

The argument that any business which has designs on growth should compromise or make excuses of inadequate resources in order to circumvent the creation of a unique deign is absurd. What a business looks like is relevant at both the purchase point as well as the myriad of times a user returns to access their control panel or seek post-sales service; every graphic, every word, every navigational click is an opportunity; it's called branding and if a business ignores the opportunity to fully execute a brand strategy it really isn't a business at all.

To me, hosts using templated sites just indicate that they wanted to save time and money on the web design part of their business. There are many other aspects of running a web hosting business so I can totally understand. Every business needs to prioritize what they will spend their time, resources, and money on.

However, I also understand the points of the other posts here. Many of these templates have similar look and feel. Since these templates are easily available, it helps increase the "fly by night" hosters.

Its a free market so the customer needs to do their due diligence on the host. If they see the host using templates, then where are they putting their resources toward? Better equipment? Customer Service? ...etc.

Finally, since there are so many hosts using templates, then the hosts that actually design their own sites will stand out more. I would argue that designing your own site can help differentiate the host and also demonstrate the hosts expertise.

If you are a web design shop then you can show off your web design skills. If you are a PHP host, a PHP driven website shows your skill. If you focus on ASP.NET, then an ASP.NET based site would help show off your knowledge and expertise. And so forth..
    Last edited by dasp; 09-29-2004 at 12:50 PM.
    Eric - DiscountASP.NET : daspblog.com : twitter.com/discountasp
    Cutting Edge Windows Hosting in US and UK
    Best ASP.NET Hosting Service Award Winner 2005-2009: asp.netPRO Magazine

And I don't know why web host providers don't manufactuer their own hardware, too, instead of using someone elses hardware or OS. If they are not going to take the time to design, fabricate, manufacture their own server, NOC, telecom, OS etc. . .why bother. . . . get the point !
    UVBC
    Web Design & Hosting

Originally posted by UVBC
    And I don't know why web host providers don't manufactuer their own hardware, too, instead of using someone elses hardware or OS. If they are not going to take the time to design, fabricate, manufacture their own server, NOC, telecom, OS etc. . .why bother. . . . get the point !
    Real hosts do....configure and build their own servers, maintain their own nocs and data centers, develop their own management and administrative application layers and software, configure their telco infrastructure and otherwise fabricate their own business architectures... so what's your point?

I don't think customers really care if you use a template or not as long as your site is appealing and loads fast. In the end, it's the service that counts more to customers.
    Protagonist WebHosting Services
    Blog Hosting solutions:: Cpanel with Rvskin & Fantastico Deluxe
    Providing Reliable Hosting since 2002

Originally posted by UVBC
    I'm not exactly understanding the point here as well.

There has been hardware vendors that have gone into hosting. DELL had dellhost through a private label deal but that didn't go too well. Also, Micron, who was hostpro, dropped their hardware business altogether and bought Interland. So there are hardware vendors that get into hosting. It certainly is a differentiator but doesn't necessarily mean better webhosting.

Similarly, my point was that since templates are accessible and many hosts do use them, a host can differentiate itself with a site that they design - especially if they demonstrate their expertise in whatever they specialize in.

If the hosting site can't afford making a unique/custom design, then I don't think it's any good. point of view

Everyone has their opinion but I do not agree with a blanket statement. After all, there was a time when templates were not available and a lot of bad hosts spent some time and money designing their own (bad) websites.

Personally I like seeing a lot of templated websites so that there is even more of an opportunity to differentiate.

I like the idea of using templates becasue I personally can do the website but it takes far too much time that could be spent finding customers. Were currently using a template but once our company becomes self-sustaining we plan on creating a unique site.

Originally posted by cowabunga
    If you're selling a service to those that ultimately will be either designing, building, or creating a website and you can't take the time to create a point of differentiation, demonstrate you understand their business and demonstrate capability, you're just another wannabe among the faceless masses. If you can't afford to properly brand and differentiate your business front to back you ought not be there in the first place.

The argument that any business which has designs on growth should compromise or make excuses of inadequate resources in order to circumvent the creation of a unique deign is absurd. What a business looks like is relevant at both the purchase point as well as the myriad of times a user returns to access their control panel or seek post-sales service; every graphic, every word, every navigational click is an opportunity; it's called branding and if a business ignores the opportunity to fully execute a brand strategy it really isn't a business at all.
    Well said.
    I think there are two sides to this issue, webhosting and web designing. If one had anything to do with web designing in their business, a template is unprofessional.

However, if a company is doing strictly hosting, I can see why the owners would want a very proffessional looking website with plenty of "eye candy" to attract customers.

From the customers and "general shmoes" I have gotten feedback from, they don't know the difference between a template and a custom website other than the fact that the template is much more attractive. So it's all up to who you are targeting.

All hosters and web gurus around the world know the difference between a monster template and a custom website. But how many of our customers are web gurus vs. how many are normal individuals looking for an affordable, professional hosting plan.

DLee
    DBLHost.com
    US Based Shared Web Hosting • cPanel+Softaculous • Email Hosting • Domain Names
    https://www.dblhost.com

I think the problem with these templates is the execution of them. You have this wonderful design up top, and then you fill the page with random text and plagurized content from other sites, put it in Times New Roman font, add some stock images, and present it in the worst possible layout that looks like you made it in 10 minutes. There are plenty of sites out there that can use a template and design an excellent site around it. But most sites using these templates look like the content was an afterthought.

Me personally, I wouldn't use one because some techno music blasting everytime a user loads the page and some lame stock sound clips that play on mouseovers don't exactly portray a professional image. Not to mention I can't design good content anyway, so I figure my plain layout matches my plain content perfectly
    Mark

Seriously. . .templates are a great thing. . . hell of a time saver. . the more ya got the merrier ! Some have such tunnel vision they think web hosting providers only market to each other. .. and based on some of the inbread comments. . I am beginning to think web hosts are only reselling to other web hosts. . kinda like MLM or chain letter or network marketing. I am not interested in selling space to another web hosting firm. . so I don't care if he doesn't like my templates. I can take the PSD template and make such simple and profound modifications to it. .. that it looks as unique to that business. They are just wow'd. My market is that massive sea of people who don't have all day critiqueing their peers hardware, scriptwriting abilities or usage of templates. I serve a market that needs a professional web site designed and hosted and don't really care if a shoe repair shop in Tiwain has a "similar but different" look.

Its a business. . . and its bad business not to maximize investments and minimize labor intensive activities as much as possible. Taking a Adobe PSD template and creating a professional business web site in 2 hours that WOW's the customer who pays $400+ . . is good business, versus spending 12-16 hours for the same rate. I enjoy life too much to pump up my ego. . .
    UVBC
    Web Design & Hosting

Hi

having used TM templates and many others purchased for clients - I can say they do save time and get me going in a particualr direction for a client design

The bug I have with them is why the hell do they slice graphics up in silly places like through a bit of shadow or a adjacent image - I then have to spend time in PS to stitch them back together

Though the designs look really nice as a template they are usually impractical as you can spend so much time adjusting it to fit your own text and requirements which defeats the object

still they server a niche

The way I see it, if a web host can't make their own site, they obviously don't have the skill requirements to assist their clients with their site.

Sure, templates are "easy" and "save time". Is that the image you're attempting to project to your clients? That you're a lazy company and want the easy way out? People aren't stupid, many of our clients are computer literate and know the difference. As a previous client, I avoided any host that couldn't put out the effort to design a site for their company. It's unprofessional and I'd much rather deal with a company that can prove themselves to me by means of effort and general website knowledge. Any computer illiterate 12 year old can slap text in a template.

You can join the crowd, or stand out from it.
    Webmaster Forum • webmastertalk.net • Webmaster Community Forum
    Website Tools • domainfocus.com • Webmaster Tools | IP Lookup | Domain Whois | PageRank Checker | HTTP Header Info | Link Analysis | Favicon Generator

I suppose you could spend $40,000 on a site you didn't design and show off how much you know about building a site?
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by SoftWareRevue
    I suppose you could spend $40,000 on a site you didn't design and show off how much you know about building a site?
    A very good point.

Spending big bucks to have a custom design made by somebody else doesn't make you any less lazy or unskilled then spending a few dollars on a TemplateMonster design. Either way, you didn't build it yourself.

Personally I prefer custom built one of a kind sites, but templates have their place too. Some of the reasons given behind why they are bad are just silly IMHO.

IMO the breaking point for using a template is whether you just take it without any modifications or you actually spend time on it. I've designed some web sites from scratch over the years, but I don't consider myself a webdesigner. Currently I decided I want a better-looking website for my hosting and some of the TemplateMonster templates had certain awesome elements that looked very nice and in the end I decided on one template, bought it and then set to work.

Just on the Flash header, I spent some 5-10 hours this far in Fireworks and Flash Professional to make it look the way I wanted it - not only did I throw out all sound effects and music, but I did some in-depth editing, keeping those parts of the design that appealed to me, pushing them in the direction I wanted them to go. And as to the HTML part of the layout, I kept the color scheme more or less, and threw out pretty much everything else.

I realize where my weak points are, I'm not very good in creating a harmonious color scheme from scratch nor am I good in creating complex images from scratch. I've got these needed things from a professional for less than 50 bucks, and I'm perfectly willing to put my 20-50 hours of work into building up the site and writing the content based on this graphical concept.

As far as I see, the problem with using templates is that many hosts buying them have no technical knowledge of HTML and/or image manipulation and they not only use the templates 1:1 without customizing anything, they also can't write their content in a comprehensible way.

And as for the self-designed sites, I've seen quite a couple of self-made hosting business sites which were plain horrible, missing even so basic points as that text should be readable (one dark color on another similar dark color won't provide you with this).

it's fairly simple.

for those starting and was on a tight budget, they'd rather use a template and concentrate more on what is really their main business.

If it was a web design firm then i would have objected to using templates.

I don't see anything wrong using templates at all as long as they can deliver the services and promises they made to their clients.

What does using a template have anything to do with offering an affordable, professional HOSTING service?

By saying that you MUST have a custom website in order to provide a good HOSTING service to your customers. That is insane.

Now on the flip side a nice professional website does give the appearance to your customer that you are a professionally run company but does it make that a true fact?? There are plenty of great websites, hosting and otherwise, and some of those companies services suck... never does the service depend on the "look" of the website only in the perception of the customer.

The general public is not going to know, first of all, where the website layout came from in most cases, second they are not going to care.

How many customers go to XYZ Hosting and say, oh crap they used a TM template lets buy hosting elsewhere because they obviously don't know anything about designing a website so how could they possibly know anything about providing a HOSTING service?? DUH!!! Get a clue, that is the same mentality that make people think that if you marry a super model the sex is better, right?? I mean come on if the girl or guy is not HOT they must not know how to F### better.

Robert
    Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast