Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I thought I would drop you all a note to let you know about my Christmas web hosting special.
    50% more time on all web hosting packages from this Monday the 20th of November until December 24th 2000.
    i.e. any monthly package you buy is now 45 days
    any six month package is now 9 months long
    any one year package is now 18 months long.
    current packages and pricing are at:
    http://www.tera-byte.com/hosting-web.html

We are also now offering Dedicated Cobalt raq servers at 99.00 a month
    the plan is a raq 3 300 mhz system with 32 megs of ram (upgradeable) and a 10.2 gig drive with 100 gigs of monthly transfer additional transfer is only 3.00 a gig. no long term commitments or prepays or setup charges you can get started for only 99.00 a month
    my page for this isn't complete yet, email me [email protected] with questions.

Steve
    Tera-byte.com

Damn! That's good..... Are the prices frozen lifetime? (that is, if I buy the 1 year deal which stretches to 18 months, can I renew my subscription for another 18 months at the same price as before?)
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

i had not considered that actually, but yes for annual packages it will become an 18 month term for as long as you host with us. (the monthly and 6 months i cant do that with my CFO would shoot me )

Steve

Talking

Oooooooh wow..... You do the maths, guys

Definitely will consider moving from WebExpose to Tera-Byte now....

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

That includes dedicated servers too?

Why is your site (tera-byte) so slow to load?

Thanks

Could 99$ dedicated server get 50% more time as webhosting ?

It would be quicker to email directly, but post teh answer as this is the second time it has been asked in the thread.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

If a company can run a promotion now, they can certainly do it easily in 18 months.

- bandwidth pricing falling
    - cheaper,more reliable,bigger hard drives.
    - fast processors, more capacity per server
    - more automation.

Sounds good steve.. Think i might speak to my partner about upgrading our account .

i emailed regarding this special but no reply or info ?

eva2000.com: Here is the URL for the offer: http://www.4webspace.com - and it is Tera-Byte !

Steve answered all my questions very fast - Think i might of annoyed him with a few dumb questions (=

i did get totally swamped with requests about this deal, along with my regular mail load so yes i did miss a few people for that im sorry, but as stated all the info is on http://www.4webspace.com

Steve

I have a basic stupid question:

On the page it states the following:
    Up to 100GB of transfer
    •32megs of RAM on initial install
    •10.2GB standard storage
    •Unlimited email addresses
    •Up to 300,000 page views per month
    •The ability to handle up to 35 million web objects or "hits" in a single day

So, up to 100GB, and up to 300,000 page views per month, what does that mean, is it up to 100GB or up to 300,000 page views per month, whats the difference, it has left me confused and wondering.

Lets say that each page is only 10,000 bytes, times that by 300,000 and you've got 3,000,000,000 whats that 3GB? or 30GB? so whats the difference and why is it listed at all, are you limiting people to only allow up to 300,000 page views in a month on the server?

The other question is this: You state on the order page the following:
    To add MySQL is $375
    Mysql pkg file is available from cobalt, I dont know about the raq3, but on the raq4 software admin panel, you can install MySQL by including the ftp url to the cobalt site for the mysql pkg file and the server will install it. Isn't this the same thing for cobalt 3's? If so couldnt I just install mysql through the admin panel?

Php, I assume that I can install my own php as well, do you know of any reason why php4 can not be used on a raq3?

Thanks for the info.
    Bbox

[Edited by brainbox on 12-03-2000 at 07:43 PM]

Originally posted by brainbox
    I have a basic stupid question:

On the page it states the following:
    Up to 100GB of transfer
    •32megs of RAM on initial install
    •10.2GB standard storage
    •Unlimited email addresses
    •Up to 300,000 page views per month
    •The ability to handle up to 35 million web objects or "hits" in a single day

So, up to 100GB, and up to 300,000 page views per month, what does that mean, is it up to 100GB or up to 300,000 page views per month, whats the difference, it has left me confused and wondering.

Lets say that each page is only 10,000 bytes, times that by 300,000 and you've got 3,000,000,000 whats that 3GB? or 30GB? so whats the difference and why is it listed at all, are you limiting people to only allow up to 300,000 page views in a month on the server?

the reason my site reads both the actual transfer allowed (100 gigs) and 300,000 page views is the marketing plan for these servers. i wont be marketing them just to people like yourself who know what a gig is, ill also be marketing them to people who dont know a thing about the internet. abd your calculation is correct but it isnt suposed to read 300,000 page views a month its suposed to read 300,000 page views a day, the site is not finished yet

The other question is this: You state on the order page the following:
    To add MySQL is $375
    Mysql pkg file is available from cobalt, I dont know about the raq3, but on the raq4 software admin panel, you can install MySQL by including the ftp url to the cobalt site for the mysql pkg file and the server will install it. Isn't this the same thing for cobalt 3's? If so couldnt I just install mysql through the admin panel?

Php, I assume that I can install my own php as well, do you know of any reason why php4 can not be used on a raq3?
    yes php4 will work on the server and yes you can install both of them yourself. my reason for pricing them like that is if i install them i would have to support them so your paying for a support contract in that price.

Steve

[Edited by brainbox on 12-03-2000 at 07:43 PM]
    [/QUOTE]

Thumbs up

Thanks for clarifying that for me Steve, it had me confused, am happy to say that I can add you to my list of prospectives at this point.

Bbox

steve just a question, how long does it take to setup the server from the time i order ?

Originally posted by eva2000.com
    steve just a question, how long does it take to setup the server from the time i order ?

about 15 minutes to set up the server assuming all the details are correct. the dns managment panel is only setup during regular business hours though so a server ordered tonioght wouldnt have our dns managment avaliable until tomorrow morning

Steve

Sorry for the bother, but your last response brings me to another question.

Dns, I assume that I can run my own dns on the server correct?

If so what is the DNS management that you speak of that would need to wait until you all are in on Monday?

Thanks
    Bbox

its our dns manager and if you plan on running your own dns you dont need it, although it will also supply your bandwidth usage graphs as well

Steve

Originally posted by Keeg
    your calculation is correct but it isnt suposed to read 300,000 page views a month its suposed to read 300,000 page views a day
    Yes, I also thought 300k pageviews a month is a bit on the low side.

the site is not finished yet
    Hmm... yes, and you may want to fix the entry page
    as well:
    From 4webspace.com
    This site requires the flash 5 plug-in.
    If you don't already have it, click hear
    Click hear ?!?

Mysql pkg file is available from cobalt, I dont know about the raq3, but on the raq4 software admin panel, you can install MySQL by including the ftp url to the cobalt site for the mysql pkg file and the server will install it. Isn't this the same thing for cobalt 3's?
    Yes it is that simple. Enter the URL to the package,
    click install, wait a few seconds, finished!

I wouldn't know it. Because I was able to install PHP 4.0.3pl1
    fine (http://www.vgworld.net/php/phpinfo.php).
    Installing PHP is a little more complicated than
    installing MySQL though. But if you have some basic Linux
    knowlegde (ie. you can use pico etc.) you should be able
    to install it.

its our dns manager and if you plan on running your own dns you dont need it, although it will also supply your bandwidth usage graphs as well

Steve
    i see, cause i intend to run my own dns/nameservers so i can manage all my domains. - So on the comment form how should i put this to let you know i want to run my own dns

so i put, 4webspace raq 3 99.00 and what else ?

the order form is up now on 4webspace.com

Steve

Additional IP's

Can we rent additional IPs to use with these servers?

I know that the dedicated servers available from tera-byte can be ordered with 30 IPs for $10 monthly. Is this also applicable with the 4webspace offering?

the order form is up now on 4webspace.com

Steve
    yep i put in my order a few hours ago and got my details... just having alot of trouble setting up my dns and creating my nameservers with 000domains.com domain manager

yes you can rent additional ips at 10.00 a month for 30. and eva2000.com give me a call and ill see if i can help you out.(our toll free number is listed on the tera-byte site)

Steve

Is it possible to use .org as a nameserver?.

We already got an account with u kchat.org and would like to use that as the nameservers. Its registered through joker.com i've been to there site a number of times but can not find any documentation on how to setup the domain for nameserver use.

We should be upgrading to the dedicated server sometime this week. Just waiting for my pal in texas to order it.

Okay, I have signed up with you for a raq3i with 256mb ram, and am now just awaiting confirmation letter, have gotten the automated response from the tera-byte, but I'll give it a few hours that I assume it will take to send me the full confirmation with my ip and what nots.

Thanks for the service Steve,
    I hope that we can do business for a long time to come.
    Bbox, Adam

Keeg,

I still havent gotten a reply to my e-mail that I sent back on 11/30 and I resent it again 3 or 4 days later.

Thanks

your right matrix you havent recieved an answer from me yet, you sent that email to me directly and as i stated earlier i get about 2000 emails a day, your book required a pile more answers than i can properly deal with due to my short time supply. if you read the site and then ask me the questions that were not answered, im sure i can help you out in a timely manner.

Steve

Where at on your site are the details of your specail that's going on?

I'm looking at http://www.4webspace.com/main.html but I don't see the specail. Plus I can't see any of the answers to the questions that I sent.

I have some questions about your dedicated server offer that you posted on webhostingtalk.com that you offer that I'm hoping you can answer for me.

Does this offer include Dedicated Servers?

If so:

1. What is the difference between the Cobalt RaQ 3 that you have that your offering VS. Dedicated Red Hat Linux?

2. Which of the above 2 dedicated servers is faster and better?

3. On the Dedicated Red Hat Linux it uses a Pentium III? What does the Cobalt RaQ 3 use?

4. Are these managed servers? If not which is the easiest to use for a novice?

5. And what exactly does managed vs. un-managed mean?

6. Is tech support 24hrs a day 7 days a week?

7. What is the significance of the hard drive size on a dedicated server?

8. How long does it take to get a server set up?

9. Is there any type of warranty associated with these servers?

10. What is the bandwidth on these 2 servers?

11. How many ISP #'s can you use on the above servers?

12. I can have more than one of my websites on either of these servers?

13. Do you have any example sites that you can show me (meaning web addresses) that each of these servers that I'm asking about so I can see how they load in peak hours? Especially ones that run the Ultimate Bulletin Board.

14. Also do you have any customer referrals that I could speak too?

15. Also stats are important for my site what kind of stats software are used on these 2 servers?

16. What are your TOS (Terms Of Service) ?

17. Also how do you prevent downtime? Do you have mirrored servers or?

18. What exactly are the costs on the Unix Red Hat? I see bandwith charges on your site plus I see rack charge, server rental fee and setup fee. I'm not really sure which ones apply to the Red Hat server.

Any thing else that you think might be helpful please let me know. I found your site over at webhostingtalk.com and have seen favorable reviews over there so I thought I would contact you.

Thanks

This is pretty much sales/tech support - http://www.webhostlink.com/index.php?action=forum-rules and you'll find we try and avoid tech support questions to save time; of course, if you've tried multiple times then I guess we could bypass this component.

Please e-mail [email protected] or Steve directly at [email protected] with these questions in future.

I'll just add that notice that we're trying to be a bit loose with this forum. We know that once a host posts a special or introduces themselves, that there's going to be some questions, and members want to ask those questions.

Sometimes this benefits the entire board (in clearing up some things), and the host (being you, by not having to answer the same question a zillion times).

We know the forum rules for hosts are pretty strict. This is to keep shameless advertising off the other forums. Even though things are a bit loose here, we still have to have an understanding that extremely specific questions should be emailed to the host directly.

Hope this works out best for everyone, and feel free to email questions/comments about this to [email protected]

Thank you

• Chicken

BC and Chicken,

I did e-mail these questions to Steve 2 times but never got a reply to them so I posted them in here since he said to check out the website which should answer some of my questions. And I don't see most of those questions addressed on his site.

Originally posted by BC
    This is pretty much sales/tech support - http://www.webhostlink.com/index.php?action=forum-rules and you'll find we try and avoid tech support questions to save time; of course, if you've tried multiple times then I guess we could bypass this component.

Please e-mail [email protected] or Steve directly at [email protected] with these questions in future.

Ok, let me try to help you a bit. First, many of the questions you asked are general questions (non-host specific). Some of the questions can be answered if you check the site. Also, (and this goes for any host), it is *much* easier for them to answer one, maybe two questions at a time than 18. A quick email to [email protected] asking where the TOS is would get you a quicker response (it is on the site and listed as AUP - Accepatable Usage Policy instead of Terms of Service).

If you need lots of support, and have many many questions in general about dedicated servers, it is best to do some research first, or choose a host that isn't quite so busy and is willing to spend 2 hours answering one email. It just isn't always possible. Like I said, quick questions get quicker answers.

• Chicken

Well I sent the same questions to catalog.com and they answered me back within a matter of hours. I can't imagine that these questions would take 2hrs to answer.

I like the special on the price and catalog.com doesn't have this special and I don't have a big budget so therefore I contacted keeg.

I did send an e-mail to tera-byte so I'll wait to see if I get a response back from them. If a host can't answer questions though it makes me skeptical about the service. I have read only good things on here about tera-byte though, but some acknowledgement is better than none.

Did receive an answer back today in case anyone was interested in the questions that I asked they are as follows.

Subj: [queue #70207] (sales) Dedicated Server questions
    Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2000 3:21:08 PM Eastern Standard Time
    To: [email protected]

> I have some questions about your dedicated server offer that you posted on
    > webhostingtalk.com that you offer that I'm hoping you can answer for me.
    >
    > Does this offer include Dedicated Servers?
    if you mean the 50%more time no it only is on webhosting packages

>
    > If so:
    >
    > 1. What is the difference between the Cobalt RaQ 3 that you have that your
    > offering VS. Dedicated Red Hat Linux?
    cobalt raq servers have a control panelinterface linux does not

>
    > 2. Which of the above 2 dedicated servers is faster and better?
    depends on your needs as to which is better, faster would depend on the
    content your pumping through it

>
    > 3. On the Dedicated Red Hat Linux it uses a Pentium III? What does the
    > Cobalt RaQ 3 use?
    amd k-6 300

>
    > 4. Are these managed servers? If not which is the easiest to use for a
    > novice?
    managed in what way? the raq is better for a novice

>
    > 5. And what exactly does managed vs. un-managed mean?
    you tell me what do you believe it means?
    >
    > 6. Is tech support 24hrs a day 7 days a week?
    yes

>
    > 7. What is the significance of the hard drive size on a dedicated server?
    it determines how much space you have for your websites

>
    > 8. How long does it take to get a server set up?
    depends on the server you want

>
    > 9. Is there any type of warranty associated with these servers?
    the servers are owned by us so the are warrentied to be working if they are
    not we replace the equipment thats faulty

>
    > 10. What is the bandwidth on these 2 servers?
    again it all depends what bandwidth you want
    the 4webspace server has a ten meg feed with 100 gigsof transfer allowed
    without incurring any charges first

>
    > 11. How many ISP #'s can you use on the above servers?
    do you mean ip numbers? if so 255 is the limit on a raq a regular server isnt
    limited by ips

>
    > 12. I can have more than one of my websites on either of these servers?
    yes

>
    > 13. Do you have any example sites that you can show me (meaning web
    > addresses) that each of these servers that I'm asking about so I can see
    how
    > they load in peak hours? Especially ones that run the Ultimate Bulletin
    > Board.
    no i dont

>
    > 14. Also do you have any customer referrals that I could speak too?
    not on dedicated servers i dont but you can ask in places like
    webhostingtalk, thats the sort of question they want on the board

>
    > 15. Also stats are important for my site what kind of stats software are
    used
    > on these 2 servers?
    on cobalt raq servers you have a stats program that is built by cobalt on a
    regularserver there is nothing

>
    > 16. What are your TOS (Terms Of Service) ?
    they are listed on our pages
    >
    > 17. Also how do you prevent downtime? Do you have mirrored servers or?
    what sort of downtime? system failures network failures? no we dont use
    mirrored servers

>
    > 18. What exactly are the costs on the Unix Red Hat? I see bandwith
    charges
    > on your site plus I see rack charge, server rental fee and setup fee. I'm
    > not really sure which ones apply to the Red Hat server.
    all of those would apply to a linux server

>
    > Any thing else that you think might be helpful please let me know. I found
    > your site over at webhostingtalk.com and have seen favorable reviews over
    > there so I thought I would contact you.
    as stated before you really need to do the research yourself first then ask
    some relivent questions about the actual product your looking for. this email
    could have had one question which could hqave been easily answered and give
    you all the info you needed for your further questions.

its this " im fairly new to webhosting what server type is best for a
    novice?"
    i could have then given you the answer

if your not a unix admin you pretty much need to go with a cobalt raq type
    service so you can administer your system.

thanks for posting all that info Matrix i never did get my 2 emails replyed back to though.

Just a quick question...

Do I have to upgrade the RAM when I sign up?

Can I upgrade it later?

Will it cost me anything if I do it later?

Thanks!

I guess I am signing up with them next month hehe.... I'll let steve handel all of you people first. Hey Keeg will the offer still be avaible at Feb 2001?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast