hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Hosting Software and Control Panels : Is cPanel overpriced?

Forum Jump

Is cPanel overpriced?

Reply Post New Thread In Hosting Software and Control Panels Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Junior Guru

Is cPanel overpriced?

I mean, look at the competition... Let's take Plesk.

It's half the price of cPanel, has outstanding look-and-feel, and (by reading posts on these boards) much less buggy.

Is it really worth paying $1500 for cPanel? Just curious to know what you guys think about this whole panel business.

Lamp

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

I think the 1500 includes lifetime updates, does it? If so, that aint bad... With Plesk you'll eventually run into update fees. If you dont want to shell out so much cash though, just get it with a server lease for 10-20/month.

Thanks,

Neofree

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by neofree
I think the 1500 includes lifetime updates, does it? If so, that aint bad... With Plesk you'll eventually run into update fees. If you dont want to shell out so much cash though, just get it with a server lease for 10-20/month.

Thanks,

Neofree
no, you only get 2 years of free upgrade.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Wow, seems kinda pricey then

Old
Web Hosting Master

At the end of the day it comes down to what the market wants, and a large proportion prefer cPanel. I'm not advocating that it is any better than others, but it certainly does the job, there are an increasing number of useful addons and many people are familiar and prefer to use cPanel than other systems available.

Whether it's too expensive? Well that depends entirely on what profit you feel you can derive from offering it, as opposed to offering something else. That question cannot easily be answered by other people without knowing how you intend on using it.

Old
Web Hosting Evangelist

Personally I both dislike and like cPanel. I like the features, but they tend to be buggy or confusing. I like the cleaner looks of Plesk and even Ensim. Seems like Plesk is the most scalable now especially with HSPcomplete 3.0.

Old
Web Hosting Master

$20 for Cpanel is not pricey at all!!
I "spy" on Cpanel codes and functions for fun and living.
I can tell you that a lot of work went into this product.
$20, will you spend it on a tank of gas or Cpanel in a given month?
I will spend it on Cpanel.

I have no idea about Plesk and Ensim but in terms of features, Cpanel is still the king of the jungle.
Roar!!!

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Roy@ENHOST
I have no idea about Plesk and Ensim but in terms of features, Cpanel is still the king of the jungle.
Roar!!!
Try king of the bungle.

No doubt cPanel is the buggiest CP on the market. You buy features, I buy stability.

Brandon

Old
Web Hosting Master

OK then tell me who is the king of the jungle in your eyes?

Quote:
Originally posted by cbtrussell
Try king of the bungle.

No doubt cPanel is the buggiest CP on the market. You buy features, I buy stability.

Brandon

Old
Web Hosting Master

roy is it just me or is it true that you sell cpanel products?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Yeap, we develop Cpanel products.
That's why we have to "spy" on how Cpanel works.

You can probably sense some "overprotectiveness" in my tone.

Quote:
Originally posted by gilbert
roy is it just me or is it true that you sell cpanel products?

Old
Temporarily Suspended

OSS is getting proven to be better case after case but right now the project just need to get more work on them so the become into final version..... so give it 2 years and OSS manigment will be ahead and it will be lifetime upgrade and updates FOR FREE

Old
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
OK then tell me who is the king of the jungle in your eyes?
IMHO, none of the panels is king of the jungle, there's a compitition always going on and fortunately our industry isn't stagnant and doesn't need a king.

Old
Web Hosting Master

If you go back a couple of years, the cheapest external cpanel license you could get was about $90, and internals were about 60 ( If memory serves me correct ) that price has dropped considerably and im happy to pay the 40+ we pay for the licenses. Now a days you can find dedicated providers that offer it for $10+. Plus, not only do you have 2 tiers of support ( distributor + cPanel direct support ), but its constently evolving and im more than happy to pay what we do for what we get from it.

Old
Retired Moderator

I run servers with and without control panels and let me assure you that 10-20/month is money well spent in terms of the time savings.

Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Hulk Hogan's Hostamania Announces Partnership with cPanel Web Hosting News 2013-12-10 12:12:09
GoDaddy Supports cPanel as Part of Web Hosting Updates Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:20
What's New at cPanel: IPv6 and 1:1 NAT Support Web Hosting News 2013-10-01 18:12:07
100 Percent of Customer-Facing ServInt Staff Obtain cPanel Certification Web Hosting News 2013-09-25 11:25:48
cPanel & WHM Software 11.36 Reaches Stable Tier Status Web Hosting News 2013-04-09 11:44:33