Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is cPanel overpriced?

I mean, look at the competition... Let's take Plesk.

It's half the price of cPanel, has outstanding look-and-feel, and (by reading posts on these boards) much less buggy.

Is it really worth paying $1500 for cPanel? Just curious to know what you guys think about this whole panel business.

Lamp

I think the 1500 includes lifetime updates, does it? If so, that aint bad... With Plesk you'll eventually run into update fees. If you dont want to shell out so much cash though, just get it with a server lease for 10-20/month.

Thanks,

Neofree
    Affordable Web Hosting, LLC
    Affordable Web Hosting, LLC provides high quality web hosting at prices you can afford. Over 10 years of web hosting experience!

Originally posted by neofree
    I think the 1500 includes lifetime updates, does it? If so, that aint bad... With Plesk you'll eventually run into update fees. If you dont want to shell out so much cash though, just get it with a server lease for 10-20/month.

Thanks,

Neofree
    no, you only get 2 years of free upgrade.

Wow, seems kinda pricey then
    Affordable Web Hosting, LLC provides high quality web hosting at prices you can afford. Over 10 years of web hosting experience!

At the end of the day it comes down to what the market wants, and a large proportion prefer cPanel. I'm not advocating that it is any better than others, but it certainly does the job, there are an increasing number of useful addons and many people are familiar and prefer to use cPanel than other systems available.

Whether it's too expensive? Well that depends entirely on what profit you feel you can derive from offering it, as opposed to offering something else. That question cannot easily be answered by other people without knowing how you intend on using it.
    Jo Stonehouse, Kualo Ltd.
    Bored? Watch our FUN VIDEO!

Personally I both dislike and like cPanel. I like the features, but they tend to be buggy or confusing. I like the cleaner looks of Plesk and even Ensim. Seems like Plesk is the most scalable now especially with HSPcomplete 3.0.

$20 for Cpanel is not pricey at all!!
    I "spy" on Cpanel codes and functions for fun and living.
    I can tell you that a lot of work went into this product.
    $20, will you spend it on a tank of gas or Cpanel in a given month?
    I will spend it on Cpanel.

I have no idea about Plesk and Ensim but in terms of features, Cpanel is still the king of the jungle.
    Roar!!!
    What you can do with Cpanel ------------------> |||||
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Your competitors are cashing in with Cpanel XP & CpanelAPP, are you?

Originally posted by Roy@ENHOST
    I have no idea about Plesk and Ensim but in terms of features, Cpanel is still the king of the jungle.
    Roar!!!
    Try king of the bungle.

No doubt cPanel is the buggiest CP on the market. You buy features, I buy stability.

Brandon

OK then tell me who is the king of the jungle in your eyes?

Originally posted by cbtrussell
    Try king of the bungle.

No doubt cPanel is the buggiest CP on the market. You buy features, I buy stability.

Brandon
    What you can do with Cpanel XP+CpanelAPP -------> ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

roy is it just me or is it true that you sell cpanel products?
    Computer Steroids - Full service website development solutions since 2001.
    (612)234-2768 - Locally owned and operated in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area.

Yeap, we develop Cpanel products.
    That's why we have to "spy" on how Cpanel works.

You can probably sense some "overprotectiveness" in my tone.

Originally posted by gilbert
    roy is it just me or is it true that you sell cpanel products?

OSS is getting proven to be better case after case but right now the project just need to get more work on them so the become into final version..... so give it 2 years and OSS manigment will be ahead and it will be lifetime upgrade and updates FOR FREE

OK then tell me who is the king of the jungle in your eyes?
    IMHO, none of the panels is king of the jungle, there's a compitition always going on and fortunately our industry isn't stagnant and doesn't need a king.
    Feroz Zahid
    mail@feroz..

If you go back a couple of years, the cheapest external cpanel license you could get was about $90, and internals were about 60 ( If memory serves me correct ) that price has dropped considerably and im happy to pay the 40+ we pay for the licenses. Now a days you can find dedicated providers that offer it for $10+. Plus, not only do you have 2 tiers of support ( distributor + cPanel direct support ), but its constently evolving and im more than happy to pay what we do for what we get from it.

I run servers with and without control panels and let me assure you that 10-20/month is money well spent in terms of the time savings.
    Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts!
    http://www.sprintserve.net
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |
    Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management |

I find using cPanel a lot easier than any other. Of course it's buggy, and that bugs me time to time ;-) But in terms of operations, it's worth the price I think.

CPanel is a much easier control panel to learn than Plesk in my opinion - I actually gave up trying to work with Plesk after not being able to find out the information I wanted through Plesk's knowledge base and documentation. CPanel is a great value for the money - I'd also recommend DirectAdmin as a budget panel. Haven't used it in a while (since it got out of beta testing), but I'd recommend DA or CPanel above Plesk.

The ideal pricing for a control panel would be a one-time $40 or $5 per month. Try to make software cheap, not free, but affordable and at a negligable price. $20 in USA might mean nothing, but in other parts of world, as in my country (Pakistan), $20 pays for the whole month's electricity, gas and water utility bills of a family of 4. in a shrinking and world's most competitive business like "hosting", each cent counts.

With a constently evolving control panel such as cPanel, the monthly fee is necessary. If you can't pay for it ( no offence ) then you aren't the target market. If you want a still product and don't much care for the evolution of the software, then either 1. create your own or 2. find a more suiteable product.

I personally don't like the fact that someone can get cPanel for 10 - 20 bucks a month. The product is worth more that and cPanel are selling themselves short IMHO. They provide multiple areas in which you can contact them if you have problems, or wish to request a new feature. And a big issue i see with these sub 20 licenses is, the partner noc usually end up passing on the support to cpanel when its them that should take a closer look. Then cPanel gets a bad name when they're swamped with support requests cuz the partner noc / distributor isn't doing their job. If the distributor isn't doing their job, cPanel should jack up their monthly fee accordingly.

Not only that, but with the lower price, its as if any joe blow johnson can start up hosting business. Its providing a false sense of security in that people think its "the solution" , rather than having the proper knowledge in respect to running and managing a hosting company and servers.

^^ my 2 cents.

Until CPanel gives me the freedom to see, modify, and fix the code (and share my work with others) I simply won't install it, for security reasons alone.

Regarding some previous comments in this thread, do you really want to put the security of your server in the hands of software that someone has to "spy" on to understand how it works?

Unfortunately none of the commercial control panels will ever give you the code.
    Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting |

Originally posted by sprintserve
    Unfortunately none of the commercial control panels will ever give you the code.
    Saves me the time of having to consider them.
    In the long run I suspect they'll be left behind.

cpanel has been running a long time and has tons of features so thats probably why it has the biggest market share. But in my opinion direct admin is better, its more compatible with different os'es and is less buggy it also doesnt take over the system it is running on, everyone I know who has used direct admin so far likes it. Each to their own choice I guess.

A lot of Cpanel codes are available.
    It's just that people never bother to look for them.

Originally posted by sprintserve

Originally posted by inimino
    Saves me the time of having to consider them.
    In the long run I suspect they'll be left behind.
    To each his own. It is your lost really than theirs.

Originally posted by RoyA lot of Cpanel codes are available.
    It's just that people never bother to look for them.
    This is true indeed. I fix many a problem by reviewing the sources.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Related Posts from theWHIR.com