.us domains are coming soon

Well, obviously they already exist but they are being launched without the state.us second level.

http://www.opensrs.org/dotus_FAQ.shtml

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com

Here's an older thread on it, from right after NeuStar won the contract:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...&highlight=.us

I guess it's a good thing, but I always liked the locality structure of .us -- I've used them for years.

One advantage will be gone: they'll no longer be free. Not really that big a deal any more I guess, but one of the reasons I used to steer nonprofit orgs to .us was the difference between paying $35/year to NetSol and going to a locality-based .us for free -- back in the day. Of course, back in that day only nonprofits could register a .org and only internet-related projects could get a .net, and no matter what you registered you had to explain on the application what business you were in!

Anyway, the good news likely will be more efficiency in managing the namespace. Things like making nameserver changes in .us under the old system can take days. And that's an improvement; you used to have to expect weeks.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Yes
    I remember registering my first .com in 95/96 for the company I worked for and we ahd to explain the nature of the business.
    They still do this in Canada for .ca

I don't know if all these new extensions are really making that much of a difference.
    We sell nearly 1000 a month and the majority are still .com
    .uk makes up about 300 (mailnly sold through our UK based domain reg service).
    .com/.net/.org combined about another 600 with us only doing about 100 in .biz,.info and all the rest.

Gordon
    Formerly: Managing Director, Hostroute.com Ltd & Marketing Director, Ultraspeed UK Ltd
    View my Professional Profile: www.gordonhudson.com