Hard Drive failures

I am about to do colo hosting about 1 hour from my house. I am doing a 80 gig raid 1. However, I am still afaird of hard drive failures. What is the best thing to do to prevent hard drive failure? and if it does happen what can I do to ensure that I have a hot swap? do nightly cron drops to a hard drive at my house?

2 drives in RAID1 is a good start. Be sure to have a way to monitor if and when a drive fails and have a spare available. If the drives and interface is not hotswap you will usually need to power down the machine to pop in the new drive. Then on bootup nicer RAID controllers will automatically rebuild the array for you.

Is this a hardware RAID1 ?

Try to make sure they stay cool.
    I think heat is one of the number one killers of hard drives.
    Cybernet Hosting
    DirectAdmin Shared, Reseller and VPS Hosting.

Put some money in to the hot swap option. This will save a lot of time and headaches. There should be no need to do daily backups of the server, though it won't hurt. Just have a spare drive or two stored with your server. You will probably save the cost of the hot swap option the first time you lose a drive.
    SiteSouth
    Atlanta, GA and Las Vegas, NV. Colocation

Originally posted by mgphoto
    There should be no need to do daily backups of the server, though it won't hurt. Just have a spare drive or two stored with your server. You will probably save the cost of the hot swap option the first time you lose a drive.
    And what about if there's accidental data deletion or a server hack. Off server backups are always neccessary.
    Jay Sudowski // Handy Networks LLC // Co-Founder & CTO
    AS30475 - Level(3), HE, Telia, XO and Cogent. Noction optimized network.
    Offering Dedicated Server and Colocation Hosting from our SSAE 16 SOC 2, Type 2 Certified Data Center.
    Current specials here. Check them out.

Yes it is a RAID 1. That is a good point about data being deleted. What is the best way to back up the data into another location using cpanel? just run a nightly cron?

you can use alot of linux/bsd backup options such as taring your data and transfering it by ftp or rsync to just copy what's changed. Although it depends how much data you have to move and what kind of bandwidth do you have to do it.