Thread: DNS not set up?

* DNS not set up?

Uhm...

Got a dedicated serevr a couple of weeks ago... I'm new to the world of dedicated servers...

During setup, I thought all went well (well, after talking with TomSyer on some things...)

I have two domains successfully pointed at my server.

But I can't point any more domains -- my registrar (a Tucows reseller)'s domain management script says it can't verify ns1.[something].com and ns2.[something].com -- but [something].com is my main domain, and it allowed me to update for [somethingelse].com....

I suspect it's not a registrar issue - I've used these guys for years with very very few problems (couldn't update .us info once - they fixed some glitch, and worked ever since) -- I mean, since 1997 I've used them...

Is there any place with some good advice (or even some suggestions from y'all) on things I can do to start troubleshooting WTF? :-D

Many thanks in advance for any and all advice!

Take care,
    -i

Have you set up ns1/2.[something].com on your server, configured BIND (or whatever DNS server you use) and registered them as DNS servers at the registry?

you may not create the NAMESERVER Type for your domain

go www . internic . net/whois.html select Nameserver to check with your domain. If you can not find that, Please Register a NameServer Type on your Domain registrar

Thanks for replies :)

Sorry, it's been a (censored) of a week... Hurricane Ivan and prep at work took ALL of my time...

Thank you all for your replies.

In my case, after looking at some things based on the various advice, I went and did some more googling, and found this information:

------
    /etc/resolv.conf
    Check that there are nameserver entries for each IP. There may also be one for 127.0.0.1 - this is okay. I'm led to believe (by the 'man' entry for resolv.conf) that this isn't a particularly important file, but I changed mine to read:

domain mybox.com
    search mybox.com
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 111.111.111.111
    nameserver 222.222.222.222
    ----

This is what was, for some reason, lacking...

So I added appropriate entries, and it's working like a charm.

Oy.

Take care!
    -i