Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Liquidweb Questions (Connection Type / Opteron OS)

I am not experinced about hosting releated terms so if the questions are not reasonable sorry for that.

Other companies except from Liquidweb give information about the connection type of their servers but I couldn't find any information about Liquidweb's offers. For example servermatrix has some "100Mbps Ethernet Port" and "Private VLAN" offers. Is it important when selecting a server? If so, which connection type is better and what does liquidweb use?

I was thinking to get a dual xeon server but after reading reviews about opterons on this forum I changed my mind and decided to get a dual opteron.

http://www.liquidweb.com/dedicated/c...essional/Plan2

As I understand from their site, Liquidweb's management is only possible if you select cpanel to be installed. So, does anyone have an opteron server from Liquidweb which works 64bit and has cpanel installed? If this is possible which OS must I request from Liquidweb's staff before setting up the server? (for the stability)

I maybe wrong but as far as I know, cPanel is running at 32bit, not 64.

I spoke to Zac about this and the short answer is that its in testing but atm its 32 bit mode only as its known stable.

Rus
    Russ Foster - Industry Curmudgeon
    Freelance Sysadmin for Hire - email vaserv@gmail.com

So the best way will be to start with 32 bit and update the system to 64 bit later when it is more stable. Can anyone please give me some information about what is "100Mbps Ethernet Port" and "Private VLAN" and their importance?

32-bit mode works so well on the Opterons, I probably wouldn't chance it down the line by upgrading a working system to 64-bit. The performance increase may not justify it. It would always be an option though.

100Mbps and 10Mbps ports are just measurements of capacity, not speed, so it won't make any difference unless your server will be pushing more than 10Mbps. Our servers come on 100Mbps by default. We also segment our network into VLANs. You might want to try searching google for more information or reading: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/lan-switch16.htm

<removed contact information>
    Last edited by sprintserve; 09-08-2004 at 01:43 AM.
    Zac Cogswell / CEI
    Formerly known as WiredTree Zac

Thanks for the clarification Zac. Right now my sites only requires 30gb bandwith per month but one of them needs a good cpu power because of it's scripts and that is why I am looking for a dual opteron. Also I want to keep the server at least 3 years and don't want to change anything as the need for extra bandwith/cpu/ram grows in the future. I know that it is not a good idea to pay a fee for a very high resource while using only less than 5% of total capacity but I need something that will carry me for a long time while I concentrate on the business rather than technical aspects. (I hope your management is also enough to keep the server secure and keep the sites online)

I will purchase the server in the next few days. Just one last question. When the tests (as jvds mentioned) about 64bit finish, will Liquidweb give us the option to change the os free? or will you charge a fee for this? Lots of the people in this forum believe that it will worth to upgrade to 64bit only after the softwares are stable enough because it will increase the performance about 20-30% at some applications (at least this is what I read...).

I really won't know the answer to that question until we have gotten a chance to test everything thoroughly. At the current time, I am expecting them to be free, but I can't say for sure just yet as I don't know all of what it will entail.
    Zac Cogswell / CEI
    Formerly known as WiredTree Zac

Another question about the network .. for example : Managed.com has Dual Gigabit Ethernet (1000Mbps) fiber-optic connections to AboveNet and XO Communications. Wich connections does Liquidweb.com have ?

I think they only have 2 connections. Thus why they've been down a few of times..

Originally posted by universal2001
    I think they only have 1 connection. Thus why they've been down a few of times..
    Only one ? And what are the specs of this connection ?

Sorry, I corrected it, I believe they have two. Verio + Savvis.. But the last downtime which occured just a few days ago took all our servers off-line for 3 hours. Never had such a bad network downtime in a very long time from such NOC.

Maybe Liquidweb can clear it out ...

Originally posted by BitError
    Universal2001: You are trolling and have been for days because you don't want to pay bandwidth overage fees. I have seen you post in every thread to try and bash Liquid Web and seen their rebuttals as well.
    Hi BitError ... I don't care for the bashing. I will make up my own mind about that.

The downtime was three hours (wich is a long time) and came for us at a bad moment after we just switched from AN, being down a day with that.

But on the other hand .. I think the 12 days back wich Liquidweb is offering is really fair and the setup times of the server were excellent (thanks to jvds.com).

Back on topic : the specifications of the networkconnections ...

http://www.liquidweb.com/about/datacenter.htm

I believe they have dual OC3 connections as their datacenter page states, I recall an announcement involving an OC48 due soon as well.

I apologize for the trollish anti-troll post, sticking to facts now.

http://www.liquidweb.com/about/datacenter.htm

I believe they have dual OC3 connections as their datacenter page states, I recall an announcement involving an OC48 due soon as well.

I apologize for the trollish anti-troll post, sticking to facts now.
    Can anybody explain in basic what a OC3 connection is ?

The 1 connection thing was in the past. We did look into them a couple of months back and they only had Verio then. They added one more since.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

Originally posted by sprintserve
    The 1 connection thing was in the past. We did look into them a couple of months back and they only had Verio then. They added one more since.
    Thanks .. and what does the OC3 mean ?

OC3 basically is the capacity of their bandwidth. A OC3 have 155.52mbit/s capacity.
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••

OC3 basically is the capacity of their bandwidth. A OC3 have 155.52mbit/s capacity.
    So compared to for example 'managed' this is poor ?

Managed has gigabit uplinks but that does not mean they are actually run at 1000mbps each. So you could run 100mbit/s over each gigabit uplink or they may have them turned up full.

An OC3 properly subscribed will beat a gigabit link that is over subscribed. If both companies are NOT oversubcribed (the likely case), then speeds will be more reliant on the quality of the bandwidth providers that the datacenters select. I personally would place Savvis/C&W and Verio (tier-1 providers) way above XO and AboveNet (more budget bandwidth providers)

It is not poor, but it is less. The question to ask really is what's the peak usage capacity. Obviously in the market now, there's many offering multi Gig-E lines as their carriers, but the next question is how much do you really need.

Managed has gigabit uplinks but that does not mean they are actually run at 1000mbps each. So you could run 100mbit/s over each gigabit uplink or they may have them turned up full.

An OC3 properly subscribed will beat a gigabit link that is over subscribed. If both companies are NOT oversubcribed (the likely case), then speeds will be more reliant on the quality of the bandwidth providers that the datacenters select. I personally would place Savvis/C&W and Verio (tier-1 providers) way above XO and AboveNet (more budget bandwidth providers)
    Thanks for this explanation

Above.net is anything but budget, and our experience in their San Jose Dc has been outstanding. There haven't been a single network issue and speeds/pings are outstanding. Just because managed.com uses it and give it a bad name doesn't make it a "budget bandwidth provider".

Now, let's take an example. If you have 2 OC3, that adds up to be about 300mbit/s of capacity. You just need 6 100mbit machines bursting at 50mbit at the same time to saturate the line., or 30 machines at 10mbit etc. I am sure they have a lot more servers than that, and that the capacity is ok for now. But you get the idea.

Above.net is anything but budget, and our experience in their San Jose Dc has been outstanding. There haven't been a single network issue and speeds/pings are outstanding. Just because managed.com uses it and give it a bad name doesn't make it a "budget bandwidth provider".
    I didn't mean to trash their performance outright, they are just very inexpensive (hence budget). Budget does not totally mean inept or unable to supply internet service. I'm sure they do just fine especially compared to the cogents out there.

Any provider out there is going to give good prices for bulk commitment. By your definition, everyone's a budget provider.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast