hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Reseller Hosting : Want to become reseller

Forum Jump

Want to become reseller

Reply Post New Thread In Reseller Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2004, 03:32 AM

Want to become reseller

Hello All,

First of all, thanks for helpful website and everyone else. I want to become a reseller. I have been doing sysadmin job for a while. Now I want to do web hosting (something I wanted to do for a long time). Could you help a new guy here on what I need to know and some recommended companies? I would like to see a list a reliable companies with around 98-99% uptime. All of your inputs will be very helpful. Thank all of you for your help.

Cuong

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2004, 03:47 AM
Blue, Furry and Comfortable

I suggest if you are serious about finding a host you should consider putting some free service monitors on them so you can tell for yourself how there uptime is.

BlueFur.com - Canada Web Hosting

Old 09-07-2004, 02:13 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Take a look at www.e-insites.com they are a very good company that i have used and have excellent uptime ...pricing is great too!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2004, 02:46 PM
Web Hosting Master

Good information

Old 09-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

If you have any other questions about them let me know. I've used them for several years.

Old 09-07-2004, 05:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

make a search bladze, ull find alot of good resellers, check out ddihosting.net and x1services.com they have good plans and good reviews in WHT.

Old 09-07-2004, 07:07 PM
WHT Addict

For what kind of hosting are you looking for? (Linux/Window, What kind of control panel?)

Old 09-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
I suggest if you are serious about finding a host you should consider putting some free service monitors on them so you can tell for yourself how there uptime is.
You might want to ask the host for third party monitoring statistics. Most hosts should have those on hand and some will even have them posted on their website.

Old 09-07-2004, 08:37 PM
I am a newbie :D

Quote:
Originally posted by ldcdc
You might want to ask the host for third party monitoring statistics. Most hosts should have those on hand and some will even have them posted on their website.
Would add one more point, check their servers uptime not their main site uptime. Most of the hosts have multiple servers, ask them list of their servers and third party monitoring statistics for those servers.

Like I am using DDIhosting and they monitor all their servers through Alerta.

Last edited by NeoGen; 09-07-2004 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:44 PM
Web Hosting Resource Master

Httpme.com provides that data per server. You can also check out their customer forums. Wonderful place to start out with. I have used for almost 2 years before I switched to my own server.

Old 09-07-2004, 09:26 PM

Hello bladze,

You may also want to check out hostspace.us, dotsimple.com, and bgfweb.com
You'll find their prices very competitive and the staff is profeccional and easy to deal with. Their uptime was good for me, too. With their prices, you can actually get two accounts at different hosters and use one as a backup - just in case.
I have used many different reseller hosters, but these three shown me that I can get more than I pay for

Old 09-08-2004, 07:48 AM
WHT Addict

Re: Want to become reseller

Quote:
Originally posted by bladze
Hello All,

First of all, thanks for helpful website and everyone else. I want to become a reseller. I have been doing sysadmin job for a while. Now I want to do web hosting (something I wanted to do for a long time). Could you help a new guy here on what I need to know and some recommended companies? I would like to see a list a reliable companies with around 98-99% uptime. All of your inputs will be very helpful. Thank all of you for your help.
Cuong
I would suggest you to look for a company with more than 99% uptime, because only 99% is about 3 days of downtime/year which is not acceptable in most cases.

Old 09-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Retired Moderator

Quote:
Would add one more point, check their servers uptime not their main site uptime. Most of the hosts have multiple servers, ask them list of their servers and third party monitoring statistics for those servers.
Thank you Harsha! This is what I was trying to say, but I failed to express the whole idea.

Old 09-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Harsha

Like I am using DDIhosting and they monitor all their servers through Alerta.
Whilst Alertra is a decent outlet, I don't see why a hosting company should be "forced" to provide below-par stats.

Keep in mind, most good hosting companies use a much, much more powerful monitoring tool than the simple monitoring system alertra offers.

Also keep in mind that to get true statistics, these servers should be checked on every service (5+ services per server), every 5 minutes (absolute maximum). Every service, on a 5 minute period with alertra will cost $300 +/- per month, per server.

Times that $300+/- per server, by the number of servers the company uses, and you're saying that a hosting company should be paying Alertra 6k per month, to offer low-grade statistics for 20 servers. That's 72k, per year, to a third party monitoring service that quite frankly is below par in comparison with a true (live) monitoring system like IPMon or IPCheck, both of which have output generators that can give monthly stats, based on actual service monitoring, on a 1 minute period.

Alertra have a good thing going on, huh?

Simon

Old 09-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by IHSL
Alertra have a good thing going on, huh?
I agree completely. Those services are absurdly expensive. We use websitepulse.com, which is a bit less expensive (and more powerful, ironically) than alertra, and it's still somewhere around $500/month. That's a pretty large expense for any company.

And of course, we have our own internal monitoring system configured to poll all services (not just HTTP) on all servers every 2 minutes, but the WebSitePulse ones are what we publish on our site. So in essence, yes, we're paying a lot for sub-par statistics. Oh well--such is life.

Matt

- Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
SSLGURU Listing 2014-04-21 08:29:19
SherWeb Listing 2014-04-21 08:31:00
Domain Registrar Namecheap Launches SSL Reseller Program Web Hosting News 2013-01-31 15:30:14
VIDEO: ResellerClub on New Reseller Hosting Products, Upcoming India Event Whir Tv 2013-10-05 04:27:11
Web Host Go Daddy Launches VPS Reseller Hosting Web Hosting News 2012-08-20 14:47:27