Need help deciding which server..

Hi guys,

I am interested in buying a dedicated server but I needed some help choosing which one. I use mysql heavily, and I am currently on 2 servers. The site keeps a 1.3 celeron with 512 ram at a load average of ~2 all day and the forums itself also use mysql pretty heavily. But do you think the site and forums can both manage on the following server?

Intel Pentium 4 – 3.0Ghz 800 MHz FSB
    1024 MB RAM
    80GB 7200 RPM HDD
    100 Mbps uplink and 1200 GB Bandwidth
    99.9% SLA Guarantee
    RedHat Linux

The other server I was interested in was a 2.4ghz dual xeon but I dont want to blow my money on that if my site and forums can manage fine on the p4. BTW the site is kingdomhearts2.net

I think that the p4 will work fine. Maybe additional ram could be added.

I think the added ram will drop the load. Linux caches files in ram that get accessed a lot, your current server probably has a lot of load because its using the disk a lot.

Using mmcache for php and turning on mysql query caching will help a lot also. Both of those took the load for my forums to near zero.
    Plain Fast Small Business Web Hosting & Server Management

hmmm kingdomhearts2.net that rings a bell somewere.. :-/

are you a 'client' of AsmallOranges?

Originally posted by Trix
    hmmm kingdomhearts2.net that rings a bell somewere.. :-/

are you a 'client' of AsmallOranges?
    yes, my forums are currently hosted with them..

Thanks for the advice guys, my site is currently in SSI, so I might want to change all that into php.. some people say by doing this, it'll be much better for server, so I'll check it out and see how it goes and report back.. Hopefully the p4 can hold it all without a problem

O BTW, my forums take about 22 queries a second and my main site is around 6 queries a second (php image gallery, and a few other small scripts)..