I just registered OnlineStorage.info today...

I usually only take .com's but I thought when I found this available, it was too good to pass up. I plan on developing it as...well an information and ratings site about online storage services...of course. The .info seems to work well in this case.
    Last edited by greggish; 01-11-2002 at 01:17 AM.

I'm debating whether to get a .info domain. Not all that sure if it would be just confusing, as I would think it would. All I know, is that I wish I owned the .com's of the new extensions and enabled wildcards to my site, meaning:

info.com
    bz.com
    biz.com
    net.com
    etc.

As, I'm sure there are an untold number of people who'd type mydomain.info as mydomain.info.com and the wildcard would bring'um riiiiiight to my info.com site, heh. that's a tangent I know, but something I thought of.

Still debating...
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Wow...I didn't think of that...butyou are definitely right. The companies that own info.com and biz.com are going to be getting alot of misdirected traffic over the next few years as people just naturally add the .com after typing whatever.info or whatever .biz (whatever.info.com and whatever.biz.com). Now that I think of it I'v'e done that myself a bunch of times when looking up .info's on Whois. info.com and biz.com are much more valuable now, with the new TLD's, than they were when these companies bought them...they really lucked out.

I was thinking that the companies that run .info and .biz and any new TLD that comes later should buy the their (TLD).com and set up a redirect system that automatically redirects to the right domain when somebody makes the mistake of adding the .com to the domain.

I fully agree Most computer illiterate..like most of the peeps in my town () still think you have too type the http://..hehe..Ill tell them, my site is <hidden>.net and they will go to <hidden>.net.com ..can you imagine if I tell them my domain is <hidden>.info or something? hehe ...I personally do not support the use of TLD's. I think you should just have a name...e.g. "yoursite", instead of "yoursite.com, yoursite.net, yoursite.org, yoursite.biz, yoursite.info, yoursite.gov, yoursite.tv" and the hundreds of other tlds..hehe...Computer Illiterate people have `nuff problems with the .com's! lol No offense to the pc illiterate that read this post

I have to disagree... without the .com .net .org .tv and all the others domains would become absurd... I mean, if you get into it early sure it'd be great to own "www.hosting" but if you decided to start a hosting company know you'd have to go with about 56 characters without TLD's... I mean http://www.wegotourdomaintoolatehosting isn't exactly what I'd consider "professional"
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

I can't agree more

Even with .coms, .net, .orgs, .info there's lack of names to go round. Just yesterday I had to register 3 names which are a variant of what I orginally wanted.
    How sad!

Originally posted by acer2k
    No offense to the pc illiterate that read this post
    Is this supposed to be oxymoronic????

Exactly, I've been waiting 4 months to get a good .com and FINALLY got one... 4 months for NSI to release the stupid thing hehe...

Originally posted by knockingknee
    I can't agree more

Even with .coms, .net, .orgs, .info there's lack of names to go round. Just yesterday I had to register 3 names which are a variant of what I orginally wanted.
    How sad!
    Just because you couldn't get the name you wanted doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem with the system.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken