hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Reseller Hosting : Advise on Servers

Forum Jump

Advise on Servers

Reply Post New Thread In Reseller Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2000, 10:21 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I have a client with 30 domains and needs to have them all hosting on one server. Our server does not offer some important features - like cold fusion - that he'll need to run hos site so we cannot host his domains. However he is comtemplating getting a dedicated server or actually buying one to install in hos office and needs some advise. He is only going to have his domains on there and will not resell space. Does anyone have any good advise for this guy?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2000, 10:53 PM
Eternal Member

Question In-House vs. Dedicated

Quote:
he is comtemplating getting a dedicated server or actually buying one to install in his office
IMHO, he would be best off purchasing a dedicated server from another company. Of course, I don't know anything about his system-administration abilities (and I may be a little biased ), but do know that it takes some work to setup a server in-house. You need to keep close tabs on the machine, not to mention all of the networking and system administration issues that are involved.

A dedicated server from a hosting company will almost always come with some kind of management software to help him maintain his sites. Also, they will probably be more than happy to install ColdFusion on the server for you if you provide the software license (I don't think many companies offer this standard). However, I have heard some people have had trouble getting a few of the "larger" hosting companies to do any custom installations. Just do some research before you pick a company to make sure that they aren't too big to notice you.

If it turns out that he is really interested in running the server from his home/office, then this tutorial might be of use to him:
http://serverwatch.internet.com/arti...ver/index.html

Hope that helps!

Matt
mlightner@site5.com

- Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Old 11-23-2000, 11:13 PM
Retired Moderator

I agree with Matt in saying that he should buy one from a company and not do it on his own... One thing I want to add is connections... I don't know about his office, but chances are many hosting companies will have better connectivity. I know some offices have T1s or evenb T3s, but still I think he'd be better off with a good dedicated or even co-location provider. I reccomend either VDI.Net OR UltraSpeedUSA.Com. Both are really great. I do think UltraSpeed has better support though.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2000, 04:14 PM
WHT Addict

Lightbulb

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Simple Servers Listing 2014-07-24 10:26:49
Simple Servers Ltd Listing 2014-07-24 10:27:30
Megaupload Servers Remain Disconnected in Carpathia Storage Facility, Two Years After Raid Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:33:52
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - November 1, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:41
Web Hosting Provider Host Cats Launches Dedicated Servers in India Web Hosting News 2012-08-24 16:10:39