Need some advice on UK scholarhips, Please help

Hello,

I am a high school student in Egypt. Will be joining college on september 2005.
    I've heard that I need to apply at least a year in advance for a scholarship in the UK. So here I am totally confused.

My grades till now are:

GCSE English: A
    GCSE Biology: A*
    GCSE Chemistry: A*
    GCSE Maths: A*
    IGCSE Accounting: A*
    IGCSE Information Technology: A*
    IGCSE Physics: A
    AS Biology: A
    AS Maths: A

You see that my grades are very good, plus I am studying A2 Maths and AS accounting for next november, and next year i'll be having more subjects to have a total of 7 OL, 3 AL, and 1 AS by september 2005.

My problem is I can't afford a UK university cuz in Egypt incomes are very low.
    I've been looking for full scholarships everywhere, but i could only find partial ones, like 10% or something!!

I need ur help to guide me. I would like to know how and where Can I find full scholarships, and Which universities offer such scholarships (with/without accomodation).

Also are they like awards to cover some of the living expenses, and where I can get those?

Looking forward to your replies and your help is really appreciated.

For a good university you'll need at least 12 GCSEs at A / A*, and 5 AL at A grade.

7A at GCSE just won't cut it with most universities. You're greatly disadvantaged as a student from abroad.

Originally posted by Joseph_M
    For a good university you'll need at least 12 GCSEs at A / A*, and 5 AL at A grade.

7A at GCSE just won't cut it with most universities. You're greatly disadvantaged as a student from abroad.
    That's not true. It's all about A Levels, 3 good grades will get you into all the good UK unis. 3A's is great but I'd say ABB will get you in most places.

I don't know about scholarships very very few if any Universities will pay for everything.

Oxford/Cambridge are the richest so plump for those if you need money, but, you'll then need 4A's at A Level I suspect to give yourself a decent chance.

Andrew
    NetHosted - UK based hosting solutions.

Scholarships in the UK are fairly rare, when I left school no one I know was on one and I can't think of a uni which does actually offer a full one.

Being a foreign student you would have to pay the full fee's which are around £9000 a year. Accomodation and food would probably add up to another £3-4000 a year, so you're probably looking about about £13-15000 a year ($26,000), how anyone can afford that I will never know but all the uni's fill the courses easily so for them to pay for your fees you would have to be very special I'm afraid.

As for grades they tend to offer international students lower offers because they know they make a lot more money out of you than taking someone on from the UK. GCSE's don't count for much, as long as you have a C in English and Maths you will be fine. A levels are what they really look at.

You seem to be doing very well so far so continue with the hard work and you could get an offer at a top uni. Money however is always going to be a huge problem, but if you can't get any money from the uni then maybe try and find a local company who will sponsor you to go to uni as long as you go back and work for them after you graduate.
    Steve

Question

I don't know about scholarships very very few if any Universities will pay for everything.

Oxford/Cambridge are the richest so plump for those if you need money, but, you'll then need 4A's at A Level I suspect to give yourself a decent chance.
    Thanks Andrew for your reply, I will be contacting ox and cambridge though cambridge haven't mentioned anything on their website about full scholarships.

Moreover, if they offer me like a 50% deduction, cambridge is way too expensive, I won't be able to pay the remaining 50% anyway.

I am simply looking for a full-tuition fees scholarship, my parents can pay a part of the living expenses.

Scholarships in the UK are fairly rare, when I left school no one I know was on one and I can't think of a uni which does actually offer a full one.
    Thanks for your reply Steve,

Maybe I'll take A2 accounting as well to have 4 A-levels by graduation.

About the GCSE's, My country obliges - if i enter an egyptian college- I must have a minimum of 8 GCSEs
    ------

Looking forward to more replies
    also do you know any organisations or institutions that give some cash awards for academic exellence? like $1000+?

Another question is: Do talents or skills make a person more elligible for scholarships? Maybe computer skills such as web design or something..

Please anyone with any past experience relating to uk unis reply

ok, what im going to say here isnt exactly "street legal"

1: come to the uk

2: take out a bigish loan to cover uni (most banks will accept you)

3: study at uni

4: leave

5: tell banks to get lost

6: be extrodited from UK (you cant come back)

7: live happily ever after

not the best of plans.... but it does work
    Want to *RESELL* RESELLER accounts?
    check out SubReseller.com

Originally posted by Joseph_M

I don't think that's true. You may be referring to Oxbridge there, but that's it.

Most (almost all) universities will NOT expect 12 GCSEs at A*/A grade + 5 A grade A-levels.
    <?php include_once('signature'); ?>

May I ask why the UK?
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

You're all forgetting one thing, THIS GUY ISN'T FROM THE UK!!! AND HE WANTS A SCHOLARSHIP

Therefore he must really excel to be considered for a scholarship. We're not talking about scraping in here.

Thnx for the reply.. but I don't think that would be a good idea

May I ask why the UK?
    I really like the UK and the education systems there, moreover, my chances are better than in other countries (e.g. US)

---

Any other advice?

Originally posted by SubReseller

LMFAO HAHAHAHA That is fantastic love it, but why do I get the feeling you have done this

Regards

DiS
    "You don’t learn to hack, you hack to learn"

Please i need real help,

I would really appreciate it if you could help.

Have you tried actually speaking to Universities in the UK. This topic has been open for a while and obviously no one can provide much help. Mainly because UK universities don't generally offer what you're after so your best bet is to contact them and beg/ask for help.
    Steve