I got another question, is 256MB enough for a busy portal, the site gets about 40 concurrent hits, and sometimes peeks at 300 when slashdot link a news article to us.
My current setup has duron 1300 and 512MB Ram, the entry level amenworld.com server has a faster cpu i.e. Duron 1800, but half the ram i.e. 256MB.
I might consider their mid range £39/month server if ram is an issue, http://www.amenworld.com/static/index_510.html
Here is everything my server host's
- The main portal site: bandwidth 40GB to 60GB/month, 1 million pageviews.
- A filesharing site (legally): bandwidth 4 to 6GB/month
- about 6 lightweight sites that use less than 1/2GB each
- a Shoutcast server: only used once or twice a week for a few hours, normally around 20 listeners, tho when there's a special event we broadcast this peeks at 100+
- an IRCd server: leaf server to a small irc network of 150 users max
- Quake 2 server: 10 players max
- plus all the usual services