hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : Transfering name to new host..

Forum Jump

Transfering name to new host..

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2002, 12:40 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Transfering name to new host..

I have noticed that some hosting companies offer to initiate the changing of someones name servers settings to point to the hostings companies name servers.

What is the method for a hosting company to begin this transfer?

Thanks.

Jay.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2002, 12:57 PM
Junior Guru

Dont you need the password

Correct me if I am wrong but I dont believe they can do it with out the domain password. They could begin the proccess of transferring the domain to themselves, which is different to just changing the DNS.

www.iistalk.net Windows only forum.

Old 01-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

You might be right.

I am famiular with the fact that, say a domain registrar could start the transfer of a domain name to a new service... But for some reason I thought I saw somewhere someone offering to do this for domain name server changes.

I've looked at so many hosts in the past couple months, that i really don't remember where I saw it.

Anyone else seen this before, or offer this?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2002, 05:17 PM
Web Hosting Master

Usually it's simply a matter of changing the DNS servers to those used by your new host. In most cases you should be able to do this quite easily by logging into the control panel at Register.com (or whatever company you registered your domain name with), and entering the new DNS servers. Those are typically like ns1.hostingcompany.com, and ns2.hostingcompany.com.

cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

Old 01-10-2002, 06:05 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

Well, at least Network Solutions have ( or had ) a special form that a host could use to initiate a NS transfer on behalf of a client. It is still needed that the domain owner responds to an email sent out by Network Solutions.

For Netsol this was needed I guess cause they have the most pain-in-the-ass-to-use control system to change these things. Most other registrars just lets the domain owner login and change it right away.

As a host, I would ( hmm, I havn't yet ) set up a FAQ decribing this process. Right now I just help them out by email. Just do a whois on the clients domain and you will see the registrar.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Host Alive Listing 2014-04-18 13:32:52
Host Europe Acquires Telefonica Germany Online Services Web Hosting News 2013-09-13 15:27:43
Cloudian Launches Community Cloud Storage Version for Service Providers, Enterprises Web Hosting News 2012-09-18 11:09:57
UK Cloud Host Cyber Host Pro Acquires ColdFusion Host Yetihost Web Hosting News 2012-08-15 11:18:39
Web Host Media Temple Launches Website Migration and Domain Transfer Service Otto Web Hosting News 2012-07-12 16:16:49