hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : Teach Yourself.

Forum Jump

Teach Yourself.

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Web Hosting Master

Hi me again (rofl)

Well i've already bought two books from the sams teach yourself range and im considering buying sams teach yourself perl in 24 hours. Can anyone recommend this book?. I'm not going to poay 35 for perl for dummies. The most i'll spend on a book is 20.

i've got teach yourself paintshop pro and php4 from this range of books and so far they have been good.

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

Two important books to have on the Perl desktop are:

"Programming Perl"
Wall, Christiansen, Shwartz (O'Reilly)
ISBN 1-56592-149-6

and also,

"Perl Core Language Little Black Book"
Steven Holzner (Coriolis)
ISBN 1-57610-426-5

Some would say (and I would nearly concur) that "Programming Perl" is the only Perl text you'll ever need. This is written in part by Larry Wall, the father or Perl.

The "Perl Core Language Little Black Book" is likewise extremely useful as a ready and well organized reference to the Perl language as a whole.

Old
Web Hosting Master

My opinion is go to the public libray if they got them see if you like them. I dont know what they got in England, but then see what you like and learn the most from. I think the dummy books are for starters, who know very little

Sponsored Links
Old
Web Hosting Master

According to me The teach yourself XZY in ABC time suck! They are pathetic. You would be better of going to the programing language homepage and reading there documentation.

http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Old
Web Hosting Master

Lightbulb

Not necessarily Kunal. I have found some of the books in the 'Teach Yourself XYZ in 21/24 days/hours' series quite useful, in particular the HTML, networking and Java books. That said, some of the others (like XML) are absolutely hopeless.

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Well I guess I gotten the rotten eggs and you got the good ones. No fair!

http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Old
Eternal Member

Talking The best Perl resource available......

Perl5 For Dummies

I have about 8 Perl books on my desk... and this is the one I refer to most often.

Matt
mlightner@site5.com

- Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

Old
Web Hosting Master

You know, I'd be the last one to demean the "Dummies" books -- despite their regrettable entitlature.

I've looked at a number of these, and they do a great job of taking you into their subjects from the ground up, without making rash assumptions about what you may or may not already know.

Old
Web Hosting Master

That's quite right etLux. The Java for Dummies book is a particularly good one..

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Old
Web Hosting Master

Want an autographed copy... lol?

Old
Web Hosting Master

Wink

If you're serious, et, contact me. I just recently destroyed my old copy of Java for Dummies by spilling coffee all over it

Old
Web Hosting Master

Obviously, you didn't read the very first chapter, on "Beverage Safety".

(As I said, these books do start at the very beginning.)

Old
Web Hosting Master

Errrrr.....

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Free Online Cybersecurity Course Aims to Help People Protect Their Information Web Hosting News 2014-09-04 15:37:16
Microsoft Launches Educational Program to Help Partners Bring SMBs to the Cloud Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:33:56
Fortinet and Ottawa-based Willis College Partner to Provide Network Security Training Web Hosting News 2013-12-06 13:20:02
WHIR Webinar: Building a Multi-Service Cloud Business with Parallels Plesk Automation Blog 2013-11-11 08:52:47
University Freshmen Offered Free Domain and Hosting to Build Online Identity Web Hosting News 2013-08-02 12:30:39