Thread: Teach Yourself.

Hi me again (rofl)

Well i've already bought two books from the sams teach yourself range and im considering buying sams teach yourself perl in 24 hours. Can anyone recommend this book?. I'm not going to poay 35 for perl for dummies. The most i'll spend on a book is 20.

i've got teach yourself paintshop pro and php4 from this range of books and so far they have been good.

Two important books to have on the Perl desktop are:

"Programming Perl"
    Wall, Christiansen, Shwartz (O'Reilly)
    ISBN 1-56592-149-6

and also,

"Perl Core Language Little Black Book"
    Steven Holzner (Coriolis)
    ISBN 1-57610-426-5

Some would say (and I would nearly concur) that "Programming Perl" is the only Perl text you'll ever need. This is written in part by Larry Wall, the father or Perl.

The "Perl Core Language Little Black Book" is likewise extremely useful as a ready and well organized reference to the Perl language as a whole.

My opinion is go to the public libray if they got them see if you like them. I dont know what they got in England, but then see what you like and learn the most from. I think the dummy books are for starters, who know very little
    Chris

According to me The teach yourself XZY in ABC time suck! They are pathetic. You would be better of going to the programing language homepage and reading there documentation.
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Lightbulb

Not necessarily Kunal. I have found some of the books in the 'Teach Yourself XYZ in 21/24 days/hours' series quite useful, in particular the HTML, networking and Java books. That said, some of the others (like XML) are absolutely hopeless.
    My 2 Cents.... (or is that 2.2 cents inc. GST...?)

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Well I guess I gotten the rotten eggs and you got the good ones. No fair!
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Talking The best Perl resource available......

Perl5 For Dummies

I have about 8 Perl books on my desk... and this is the one I refer to most often.

Matt
    mlightner@site5.com
    Matt Lightner - http://www.mattlightner.com/
    - First initial to the last name at the mail service provided by the world's largest search engine
    - Founder and CEO (Former) Site5.com, sold in 2008
    - Really honestly wants to be a good WHT citizen but can never remember all the correct etiquette. Mods, sorry in advance

You know, I'd be the last one to demean the "Dummies" books -- despite their regrettable entitlature.

I've looked at a number of these, and they do a great job of taking you into their subjects from the ground up, without making rash assumptions about what you may or may not already know.

That's quite right etLux. The Java for Dummies book is a particularly good one..

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Want an autographed copy... lol?

Wink

If you're serious, et, contact me. I just recently destroyed my old copy of Java for Dummies by spilling coffee all over it

Obviously, you didn't read the very first chapter, on "Beverage Safety".

(As I said, these books do start at the very beginning.)

Errrrr.....