Thread: ASP to PHP

ASP to PHP

Ok, so me and a very skilled programmer friend of mine are creating a content management system that is very flexible in its use.

However, he doesn't know PHP / MySQL to the extent that he knows ASP, and simply doesn't have the spare time to learn.

So what I want to know is, if there *IS* a tool that will change pages from ASP to PHP perfectly, and I mean perfectly. We wouldn't want to touch the PHP code, the only thing we would touch is the databases.

Would it be safer to hire or acquire someone to code a PHP version?
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

There is no way to do it 100% perfectly, but take a look at http://asp2php.naken.cc/

I definitely wouldn't do what you're suggesting - just code it straight into PHP.
    Gone.

pmoduk2

If you are planning to make it commercial, why don't you hire a PHP programmer, who will develop PHP version of the software, while ASP guy will work on ASP version, therefore expanding your prospective market to both *NIX and Windows platforms? Sounds like a very good investment to me
    Otherwise, if you plan to make it free/GPL/something like it, it is also a good idea to do ASP version, since there are not that many free ASP products as there are PHP...
    Web Design and Development by Zealus - Complete business solutions for the web!

Small business blog - small business consulting, company analysis, advisory and more.

Why make it free when there's money to be made?

This is just a venture however, whilst I'm out of schooling. So if I can make money from it, it will pay for my 'further design' college courses next year
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

Why make it free when there's money to be made?
    Way to go!
    Web Design and Development by Zealus - Complete business solutions for the web!

Small business blog - small business consulting, company analysis, advisory and more.