Question Connectivity Issues with ServerMatrix

Before I get started, I am not pointing fingers but am more interested in some "outside opinions" on an issue I am having. I am a happy servermatrix customer and will continue to point people to them!

This issue focuses on two servermatrix servers I have:

Server 1 is a Celeron 2.4 with 1 gb of ram running RH9 on a 100mbit port. This server is located in DC2.

Server 2 is a P4 3.0ghz with 1gb of ram running RHE and is on a 100mbit port. This server is located in DC4.

I purchase backup space from GNAX. I am on backup7.gnax.net.

When I push my backups to backup7.gnax.net from server 1, I can easily push 30mb of traffic.

When I push my backups from server 2 (same backups, literally) I am lucky to get 10-12mb.

Here is an example:

server 1 to backup7.gnax.net

226-File successfully transferred
    226 405.933 seconds (measured here), 1.59 Mbytes per second
    675173450 bytes sent in 406 secs (1.6e+03 Kbytes/sec)
    ftp>

server 2 to backup7.gnax.net

226-File successfully transferred
    226 451.938 seconds (measured here), 1.12 Mbytes per second
    675166690 bytes sent in 4.5e+02 seconds (1.5e+03 Kbytes/s)
    ftp>

Servermatrix cannot see anything wrong with server2 or the connectivity to it. They advise the connectivity between DC2 and DC4 is more than ample. I have not contacted GNAX as I can't see anyway possible that this is there issue. Servermatrix has checked my switch port and my uplink to their router. No errors.

The last thing offered is to change out my network cable.

If this does not work, are there any suggestions for next steps?

It's important to note that ServerMatrix has been great so far. I have gotten a couple of dumb responses (folks that clearly never read the ticket and just offered up a response, trying to be helpful) but I am getting frustrated with the lack of a solid solution. I am moving 20-30gb of data, per night, to my backup server at GNAX. If any TP or SM folks want to look, the ticket number is 360983PLNT and has been open a while.

I would love to get this server moved to DC2 with my other boxes, but I doubt that will happen.

Soooo... any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

Try transfering the exact same file. And do them around the same time of day. See if you are still receiving the same problem.
    crucialparadigm - Affordable, Reliable, Professional :
    Web Hosting
    24/7 Support • Web Hosting • Reseller Hosting • Cloud/VPS Plans • Dedicated Servers •

OK, correct me if I am wrong, but the examples you provide give about 13.5 Mbps for server 1, and about 12 Mbps for server 2. So it's not all that different...
    Pings <1 ms, Unlimited Transfer, Lowest Price: http://localhost/

Where did you get 30mbit? The data you have shown don't look like it.

sirius,

those numbers show throughput at 12.72 Mb/s and 8.96 Mb/s respectively. both numbers are quite good for single tcp streams over that kind of latency and the difference in speed is likely due to the addition latency and extra gear (ie buffers) sitting in the middle. i wouldn't call this a problem at all. if you want to maximize the throughput for your backup data in the absence of networking issues, you will want to have several concurrent tcp streams going. ie, if you are backing up a large tarball, split it into parts and have 3-5 uploads going at the same time. if you are uploading smaller tarballs (ie cpanel account backups), parallelize them.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters

Originally posted by rusko
    sirius,

those numbers show throughput at 12.72 Mb/s and 8.96 Mb/s respectively. both numbers are quite good for single tcp streams over that kind of latency and the difference in speed is likely due to the addition latency and extra gear (ie buffers) sitting in the middle. i wouldn't call this a problem at all. if you want to maximize the throughput for your backup data in the absence of networking issues, you will want to have several concurrent tcp streams going. ie, if you are backing up a large tarball, split it into parts and have 3-5 uploads going at the same time. if you are uploading smaller tarballs (ie cpanel account backups), parallelize them.

paul
    Thanks for the reply, Paul.

The above example was actually not the best... we normally see 28 Mb/s on server1 and 10-13 Mb/s on server 2, which to us, is a significant difference considering both data centers are told to be equal.

I agree both numbers are good (actually, great) but trying to figure out why the difference between big (IMHO) difference between the two sites.

From your reply, I would guess I am splitting hairs at this point?

Thanks again.... appreciate your insight.

Sirius
    I support the Human Rights Campaign!
    Moving to the Tampa, Florida area? Check out life in the suburbs in Trinity, Florida.

well, given that you are actually seeing what you say you are seeing, it's an ineteresting question. what's the difference in latency? are the tcp buffers on both boxes tuned the same way? i suggest playing a bit with ttcp/iperf - feel free to ping me off list for some tips.

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters