Please 'rate' my site

May I have some honest opinions?

http://www.polarhome.com:793/~dirmass/

whats the purpose of this website? I think all together it looks a little boring, and the colors are a little too bright..then again if the website is about programming, I guess you don't have to emphasize THAT much on design. You don't need heavy gfx work and flashy images..it all depends on your goals and who your visitors are

the design is OK but you should check it with opera as it acts weirdly (the menu script)
    --- http://www.siemensplanet.com ---

Originally posted by ThreeD
    whats the purpose of this website?
    I guess you cold say it's more of a personal website. An experiment on designing websites and a place to test / learn programming; also to publish my scripts.

Originally posted by ZeeM the design is OK but you should check it with opera as it acts weirdly (the menu script)

yes i noticed that i'm working on it, it has a few display problems in firefox too.

ThreeD,
    The content will improve, the site was uploaded only recently.
    I'll try changing the colors a bit, but what could I change to make it more interesting?

i like it, good work.

Hmm, I got a 404 message. But I think I remember the problem with the links across the top from looking at the site last night. I think you had boxes in the background and you were trying to get the text to lay over them, is that right? Well, I can't see your code right now, so I can't try to diagnose the misalignment, but you may want to consider using a single bubble image as a background object behind each link individually. You'll also want to investigate the sliding doors technique ( http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/ ) to cover your butt when your text gets resized (which will happen and should be allowed to happen - there's little you can do to stop it anyway).

That should cover your browser woes. I'll give you more when the site is up again

Paul H
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

The site is up now, I can't blame my free host

In the top navigation I'm trying to get the text over the image as you said, but it does create problems in most browsers except IE. They seem to show the formatted text differently.

Sliding doors - I'm reading it as we 'speak'. From what it sais so far good suggestion thanks.

I was trying to prevent users from resizing the text but I noticed that only works in IE.

Using a background image for each link? Are you suggesting breaking up the background beneath the links into little images and make a table?

Ta

The site is up now, I can't blame my free host

In the top navigation I'm trying to get the text over the image as you said, but it does create problems in most browsers except IE. They seem to show the formatted text differently.
    And if you "optimized" for some other browser, you'd see that the text renders just right in that browser and not the others. It's a devilish game to play - and fortunately, it doesn't have to be played!

I was trying to prevent users from resizing the text but I noticed that only works in IE.
    Yep, and don't count on that being true with IE's next release either. I mean, they could keep this flaw in their browser, but from the rumblings I've heard in the industry, IE7 is poised to be a very respectable offering, not prone to stupid bugs and exploits like fixed text.

Using a background image for each link? Are you suggesting breaking up the background beneath the links into little images and make a table?
    Nope. You see, you have a horizontal pattern behind your links at the top of the screen, which means you could replicate it with a single pixel wide image repeated across the x-axis. Then if you use sliding doors for your links, your link text will always display inside the bubble, and the design will retain its continuity without you worrying about it breaking!
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

I like the layout, especially with the logo placed on the right side of the page. It is something new that isn't seen in every webpage. Good job of being unique.

It's just ok.. You didn't give a 'differentiator', I mean, you didn't put a big logo or some big image to stand out something. So, the visitor can't grasp the main purpose of your site.

not sure what it is, your server is really slow, or it could be that size your background picture is, takes a bit longer to load then most other sites... hmm... the colors makes the site look really old, like looking under a water pool and seing that it hasn't been cleaned for ages
    Visit www.thdsytes.com for cheap & best hosting.
    Visit www.stealthcentral.com for Quality Graphic, Flash, Website Design, more...

thdsytes
    the colors makes the site look really old, like looking under a water pool
    Well it depends on your monitor brightness and contrast, some people said it was too bright...
    You didn't give a 'differentiator', I mean, you didn't put a big logo or some big image to stand out something. So, the visitor can't grasp the main purpose of your site.
    Give me some time, at the moment this website is "multi-purpose" as it sais in the title and 'logo'. A "cooler" logo of some sort will come out of my average photoshop skills . As I said before it's more of a personal site, designed for myself to learn new things and to help other people with my current knowledge.

Thank you all for the or especially the_pm .
    Great feedback. Indeed you all helped me become better and see where my mistekes are.

Came up bright on my monitor. The layout's simple enough but the color is a little one-dimensional.

Not bad... however in my opinion, having the logo on the rightside might be a bad idea.. i know every site it's logo is on the leftside but thats a norm.. ppl look there for the site name(company name) so it may confuse some users.. overall the colors are nice and it's easy to navigate thats a + since it is a programming site it should be ok.

Making it cross browser compatible is a + but i try and code for just the most used browsers IE, Netscape and mozilla i havent tested it out on any other browser cept IE so i dont know if there are any probs in that category

Keep up the good work!