hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Reseller Hosting : Alabanze or VDI?

Forum Jump

Alabanze or VDI?

Reply Post New Thread In Reseller Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2000, 08:58 PM
Web Hosting Master

I'll be starting a hosting company soon.

What would you recommend, Alabanza or VDI.net?

Both seem very good, but I have not had any experience with Alabanza or vdi

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2000, 09:39 PM
Web Hosting Master

If you do a search on this exact topic, you'll find plenty on this.... It seems generally VDI has the upper hand at the moment (with Alabanza's slip-ups) but only just...

Have a think about this : Programming is like sex. Make a single little mistake, and you'll be supporting it for the rest of your life.

Old 11-09-2000, 09:50 PM
Web Hosting Master

I agree with Annette. As of this very second, they don't even offer the exact same product (in terms of control panel and automation), so it really depends on your needs. Pricing is always an issue, but there are hidden things (like the cost of setting up accounts, and billing issues), which might make the less expensive host, more expensive in the end. This might be due to the need for humans to do something which is handled by automation, etc.

Chicken

Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2000, 10:37 PM
Web Hosting Master

If that question was raised about 45 days ago, there would be no dubt on peoples mind

They both have their good or bad points, I persoanlly would still pick VDI, almost 900.00 a month for a server based on broken promisses is allot of $$$

The Cloud Engine

Old 11-10-2000, 02:07 AM

Currently I am a reseller and have some accounts at VDI-based server. I found that the speed is not too impressive. Especially when I use the Control Panel. The response is very very slow. May be this is depend on where you live (I live in Aisa). Also, I have experience some slow response and downtime during the last 2 weeks.

Old 11-10-2000, 10:05 AM
Web Hosting Master

the Control Panel apparently uses a different http engine, so it is indeed slower than a website hosted in the same machine ...

speed hasn't been an issue for me, everything works quite fast (I'm in mass, USA) .. what about other VDI hosts ? any speed isssues ?

The Cloud Engine

Old 11-10-2000, 02:23 PM
WHT Addict

I'm almost half the globe away from the United States but can still get speedy access to my VDI box

Old 11-10-2000, 04:07 PM

VDI Hardware

Just a quick look at the dedicated server pricing...

Looking at their specs they seem kinda low for the price... Looks like IDE opposed to SCSI, I currently run on a company who get their servers from Alabanza and thinking of going on my own, when I talked to the Alabanza rep he quoted me similar prices but with more ips and better hardware... Does anyone know if there are any other companies beside these guys?

Old 11-10-2000, 04:31 PM
Web Hosting Master

Raymond ..

VDi is the way to go, but ... buy your own servers man, it was the best thing I ever did also (actually, I'm using my other company's server for it)

SCSI HD;'s and dual mobos are cheap these days

The Cloud Engine

Old 11-11-2000, 04:09 AM
Web Hosting Master

Re: VDI Hardware

Quote:
Originally posted by N2N Internet Services
Does anyone know if there are any other companies beside these guys?
Meaning other VDI based hosts? Or just other dedicated hosts in gereral catering specifically to web hosting companies?

Ohhh, and I'm sure you'd be able to sub out a SCSI for an IDE (just ask). Also, welcome!

Chicken

Old 11-11-2000, 09:13 AM

other companies

yes there are. what you need to decide is exactly what do you need. Administration and customer control panels are available and not every company is a reseller of there two. Service is a real issue though. I company that may not have exactly everything you might wish ( but can live without) that has good tech support and service would very ofter be less expensive to your bottom line in the long run. Most additional program or features that you would want could always be added. What reallt gets expensive is if something is down and you cant get it fixed quickly. That cost you customers and that get real expensive in the long run. Also look for a company that doesnt make you pay and lock yourself into long contracts. That way you keep the company honest, Do a search on this board for alternatives to alabanza. You will find several.

Old 11-11-2000, 01:11 PM
Aspiring Evangelist

I currently use VDI for the majority of my boxes. Yes, I must there there have been some problems in the past. However, service there is generally good. I would defenetly recommend VDI.

They will even let you visit the NOC before you sign up (at least they let me go )

Old 11-11-2000, 01:13 PM
Web Hosting Master

Not with complete end to end automation Jon, which is specifically what is being discussed, although I don't see it clearly spelled out.

Alabanza: Customer fills out order form with cc info and picks package, card is processed and account is set up, customer receives email with all their account info (login etc.). Total time 5-15 minutes start to finish.

Billing is organized and automatic. Account setup is automatic. Genration of customer's info is sent automatically. Where else can you find this Jon? If you know, please post!

Chicken

Old 11-11-2000, 02:06 PM

Well Chicken,
I do agree with Jon somewhat, some of the things you don't need right off the bat. Since I have been dealing with alabanza (or actually a directly related sister company, as I am finding out). There automation isn't always up to par, I know from personal experiance. I am kinda leaning to a company dialtone internet. But I am wondering about their track record. If anyone has had an experiances with them, good or bad. Please let me know. If it is bad for the sake of antibashing please just email me the comment, don't post them. If someone is going to suggest ultraspeedusa, from talking to their rep I guess you would in a sense be dealing with vdi, or at least vdi monitored equipment. The rep informed me they co-locate their equipment at the vdi noc.

Old 11-12-2000, 01:14 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Hi there,

Just to clarify some points, we "CO-LOCATE" at the VDI datacentre, that means just that, we do not derive support from them (unless one of our machines is not bootable). Their tasks for us are limited to the supply of bandwidth, automation sofware (Cpanel etc), IP addresses and reboots.

All of our servers are our own, and we own our switches- and as we will be moving to a suite next door to VDI in Jan 2001 we'll also be buying the racks.

The service you will receive from us is not the same service you receive from VDI, its for you as the consumer to decide for yourself - but it is important to say that we employ our own technicans and support staff to cover our customers 24 hours a day.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted