hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : What actualy happens when you register a domain name?

Forum Jump

What actualy happens when you register a domain name?

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

What actualy happens when you register a domain name?

I'm new to all that domain name registring. So what does actualy happens when you register a domain name? Do you get a password and a site where you can manage it? And what if the site where you registed it does out of bussines - does it become unregistered?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Retired Moderator

depends on the company you register at they give you a password or an account to manage multiple domains.

usually its an account where you manage your domain(s)

if they are a reseller who went out of business you can always ask the registrar (icann accredited registrar) for help to manage your domain.

usually registrars doesn't go out of business but just incase other registrars buy them out.

domains doesn't get auto unregistered because they are registered at the registry (for example verisign-grs.com for com/net pir.org for .org etc..)

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Old 08-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Let's say I want to register domain name with http://namecheap.com/ but use web space and scripts of http://www.bravenet.com/

Can I do that? Would I be managing domain with namecheap?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2004, 11:40 PM

You need to point your domain name to bravenet's servers. To accomplish this, go to namecheap's website, and select the option to modify your DNS (Domain Name Server) record. Enter the DNS settings for your domain specified by bravenet.

Old 08-14-2004, 03:22 AM
Web Hosting Master

Re: What actualy happens when you register a domain name?

Quote:
I'm new to all that domain name registring. So what does actualy happens when you register a domain name?
your domain is registered at the central registry for that top domain. it will say that you own the domain.

Quote:
Do you get a password and a site where you can manage it?
It all depends on the registrar. Look at their information. If you buy from a reseller (the cheapest choice) they are mostly reseller for 4 big companies.

1. Godadddy/WWD - they have a great interface

2. Enom - they too I've heard. I am WWD myself.

3. Directi - they say it's real bad

4. OnlineNic - they say it's even worse

So be sure through who your registrar registers. SOme resellers have invested on additional possibilities I've heard.

Quote:
And what if the site where you registed it does out of bussines - does it become unregistered?
No, the domain is registered on your name. So if they would go out of business, you would still have yours. And if it's a reseller that ends his account, your account will be moved to the main company. Like if I quit my business, you would probably be transferred to Godaddy which gives you the same interface. (but slightly higher prices)

So hope I've answered all your questions.

Old 08-14-2004, 03:23 AM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Power_Surge_X
Let's say I want to register domain name with http://namecheap.com/ but use web space and scripts of http://www.bravenet.com/

Can I do that? Would I be managing domain with namecheap?
Or if you're trying to use the free hosting option offered by bravnet, you have been assigned a subdomain which is: yourname.bravehost.com. You could simply use the domain name frame forwarding option at namecheap.com. Thus, when someone enters in YourDomainName.com ... they will be forwarded to yourname.bravehost.com, but in their browser's address field, it will still show YourDomainName.com .

It's not quite as reliable as regular DNS settings and paid hosting, and I've heard the search engines hate it, but you can't beat the price.

Last edited by 4solutions; 08-14-2004 at 03:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2004, 03:29 AM
Web Hosting Master

I wouldn't recommend forwarding... mostly forwardings aren't 100% cloaking, that means, they create frameset and put your content in one. It has many drawbacks!!!!

1. you can't type http:// www .the new domain.com/myfolder/mypage.html it will only redirect to your main destination.

2. Search engines hate frames. Your site will not be a hit with forwarding. (because of a bad implementation, I have suggested a good forwarding to WWD, don't know if they implement it)

another thing... sometimes, a managed account with personal service is as good as having a full featured interface...

Old 08-14-2004, 06:46 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Do I get some free web space when I register a domain name? And for which company namecheap.com resells?

Old 08-14-2004, 06:57 AM
Web Hosting Master

namecheap is a enom reseller I think

and no, hosting is more expensive than domains, the price you pay for a domain for a year is roughly what you pay for shared hosting for a month.

so the oppsite is true. Some hosting services give you a domain for free if you host with them.

or... you can settle with free hosting and cheap domains

Old 08-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Retired Moderator

yeah they are enom resellers.

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Old 08-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Web Hosting Master

I think there may be some confusion in this thread between the basic domain name registration process, and the various extra services that some registration companies (registrars or resellers) offer as add-ons.

So (for the benefit of the original poster) we should perhaps start off with the basics.

When you register a domain two things happen:

1) You get entered into a database as the registrant for the domain (some people call it "owner", but legally that's not quite correct)

2) The registry points the domain at the name servers specified in your application - in total layman's terms that's a bit like connecting a phone line to your house

Everything else - web space, email addresses - is for your hosting company to set up, i.e., the company to whose servers your domain has been connected. To go back to the previous analogy, a domain name registration gives you the phone line, it doesn't give you a telephone.

Some registration companies will offer packages which include the registration and some add-on services. Some will even offer some basic add-on services as standard, and without additional cost. My registrar (Dotregistrar.com) has a free holding page included in the price of every registration. But all of these add-ons, whether included in the price of the registration or charged extra, are not part of the basic registration process. The basic registration process just gives you the domain and nothing else.

Old 08-14-2004, 08:31 AM
Web Hosting Master

as Lubeca said

Some registrars will have a number of "free" services included in the registration, some charge for it. As an example Regfly offers free 25 mb website, email etc. Others offer just the domain name and nothing else. It really depends on the pricepoints.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:15 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

One more question - what happens after the year is over?

Old 08-14-2004, 10:23 PM
Web Hosting Master

You renew before the expiration date or your domain expires, gets deleted from the registry (after a lengthy process) and then becomes available to the public again. I add several years on to my better domains.

Old 08-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Web Hosting Guru

If you don't get a reminder within 30 days of your domain expiry go to namecheap and renew for another year.

Put the Big Koala on your team

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Donuts Inc. Opens Sunrise Period for Seven New Generic Top-Level Domains Web Hosting News 2013-11-26 17:46:12
GoDaddy Launches Pre-Registration for New gTLDs Including .MENU Web Hosting News 2013-11-11 11:28:59
Brands Pay Up to Protect Trademarks Ahead of New gTLD Release Web Hosting News 2013-03-27 15:26:55
Nominet Temporarily Forced to Ditch Plans for Shorter .UK Domains Web Hosting News 2013-03-18 10:19:10
.CA Domain Will Support French Characters Starting Mid-January Web Hosting News 2012-12-31 15:11:30