Yahoo Junk Filtering

Hey All,
    We are currently being blocked by Yahoo and their SPAM Guard software for no apparent reason. All mail sent to Yahoo accounts is being sent to their user's bulk mail folder. Here is what has been done on our end:

- RDNS on all SMTP servers
    - SPF records for all domains
    - Numerous e-mails/phone calls to Yahoo!
    - We are listed in 0 RBL lists and have 100% clean IPs.

Anyone have any results with dealing with these guys? No postmaster contact information at all on their site, and no diagnostic info in the e-mail headers in the Bulk Mail folder.

Thanks,
    Peter
    The Maag Group - Intelligent IT Solutions
    • Colocation • Dedicated Servers • Server Administration •
    www.maaggroup.com • 877.622.4477

It seems as if some "canned" emails get sent to the bulk email folder simply for being canned or appearing to be canned. (I don't understand it either its just how it appears to be!) My advice is try sending a message amounting to nothing more than the subject test and message test. That should tell you if it is your message or server.

Zach,
    Every e-mail sent to Yahoo accounts is put in the Bulk e-mail folder. This is regardless of message content, sender address, etc. They are specifically filtering e-mails from our IP block!

Peter

They may not be blocking your IPs but, your bandwidth provider. I'm just thinking out loud here but, it may be worth checking into. Who is your bandwidth provider?

Zach,
    We have a BGP mix of UUNet, XO and Abovenet. I don't think that is a problem at all as we also have our own IP space.

The customer care people at Yahoo don't have a freakin clue. Won't even transfer me to engineering. Just: Please send an e-mail to our free services support department. Hell, I even offerred to purchase as many business class Yahoo accounts so they could at least transfer me somewhere.

I found their NOC e-mail address and sent a message there. Got an automated ticket response, so hopefully someone will look at it.

This is ridiculous, at least AOL provides detailed information on why you are being blocked and what you can do to prevent it(SPF, whitelist, etc).

Peter

This sometimes happes with us too. Customers says that their mails are being blocked by Yahoo or delievered into Spam / Bulk folder. Do anyone has idea which does this actually happens and how this can be corrected.

Thanks

Rubal Jain
    ¶ Rubal Jain // E-Mail - Rubal [at] Rubal.Net
    ¶ Helm Control Panel Setup, Installation, Configuration, Troubleshooting
    ¶ Helm Server Move, Service Migrations, Restorations, IP Renumbering
    ¶ Windows Server Setup, Configuration, Troubleshooting, Basic Security & Hardening

Do anyone has idea which does this actually happens and how this can be corrected.
    Filtering certainly seems to be done on the IP level, and no one at Yahoo has a clue as to why. Don't even bother calling their customer service reps, as you will need to have a Yahoo Business account through them to talk to them.

I was able to sweet talk my way through the needing an account process, however the lady could only confirm that our messages were being filtered. She had no idea who to talk to, and could not transfer me anywhere. Her hands were tied.

It seems ludicris that a provider with such a large userbase can just block IP space at will, and not publish any way to get your IP space off their blacklists. They must have their own blacklisting system as all of our IPs are not listed on any of the popular blacklists.

Good luck,

Peter

We had a similar problem recently when trying to move into a new ip space. To clear it, I and several customers clicked the "not junk" buttons on some messages from our IP space and the problem cleared, apparently as a result.
    *AlphaOmegaHosting.Com* - Hosting since 1998
    Managed Dedicated Servers and VPS
    Hosted Exchange 2010 Email Service

We had a similar problem recently when trying to move into a new ip space. To clear it, I and several customers clicked the "not junk" buttons on some messages from our IP space and the problem cleared, apparently as a result.
    Man, they must really hate us. We tried that for the past 1/2 hour now with various Yahoo accounts with absolutely 0 results. Looks like we may need to put our servers on a new IP block. This is ridiculous.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Peter

Yahoo's spam filter is incredibly aggressive yet inconsistent. For WebHostingTalk itself, some automatic reply-notification e-mails that are sent to my yahoo email are placed in my regular inbox, and some are placed in my bulk folder. There's just zero logic to it.

Ok, after sending around 15 e-mails to Yahoo Customer Care and calling them atleast 10 times I finally got an e-mail today that briefly outlined why mail from our servers might be forwarded to Yahoo bulk mail folders.

In that e-mail they had a link to a form to report the problems we are having:
    http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/mail/cgi_bulkmail

Don't know if it works yet, but that link is absolutely nowhere on their site, and all of the customer service reps I spoke with didn't have a clue about it.

Yahoo by far is the most disorganized, nonconnected company I have ever dealt with. We had to purchase a Yahoo business account to even talk to one of their reps...

What a nightmare,

Peter