hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : A few questions about eNom ..

Forum Jump

A few questions about eNom ..

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2002, 03:32 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

A few questions about eNom ..

Hi,

Let's see if I got this right about eNom:

1. You can only buy bulk from them directly as their reseller (55 domains minimum)?

2. You are given a URL to send your customers to, where they register the domain, OR if you want you can integrate it with their API into your website, BUT this means you need to have a merchant account and hancle the CC processing?

Or can you use the API/integration and not need a merchant account / CC processing etc?

3. As a sub-reseller (reselling under another eNom reseller) do you have to buy bulk domains, or can you buy them as you need them 1 at a time?

Could anyone provide me with such resellers which are reliable and offer this... I have heard of only Telaserv so far ..but I am not sure if they allow to buy domains 1 a piece )still awaiting reply).

Anyway, any corrections, confirmations etc would be highly appreciated. Most of the info above is what I have been able to collect so far, so feel free to add / correct me ..

by the way, is there any way to resell for Tucows/openSRS without buying bulk? I simply cannot afford to buy bulk right now ..

Your answers are very much appreciated

Danny

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2002, 07:48 AM
Web Hosting Master

Hi all!

Papillon,

So you want to buy a domain name as needed and you are reselling it to your clients or something?

Why not tell your clients that you are going to process their domain registration and they pay you annually at a certain price?(that you have already marked up).

This way you won't need any domain reseller account. Register the domain for your client (say at stargate) right after they pay you (at a markup price say $12?) through your online payment system. Then, you simply change the registrant info to reflect the details of your client.

That is what we are doing for our web design clients (and it is only until now that I realize that we are losing by $0.25. -- we better change the marked up price, hehe). Just make sure that the net amount that you get from the payment of your client is greater than the amount that you pay for domain registration. Otherwise, you lose money. But, in our case it is no big deal. It will just be factored out with the overall web design cost anyway.

Good luck!

Quoted from papillon:

"As a sub-reseller (reselling under another eNom reseller) do you have to buy bulk domains, or can you buy them as you need them 1 at a time? "

Ganah -- Turning the waves of internet services (TM)

Old 01-03-2002, 02:41 PM
Web Hosting Master

1. Sounds right.
2. You can use the API/integration without a merchant account / CC processing and process it though enom.
3. Up to the reseller you are buying from.

Chicken

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2002, 04:23 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Cool, thanks for letting me know

Btw, are you absolutely sure you can use API/integration without touching the CC's (I don't want the liability/responsibility that comes with storing handling them), because I seem to recall it's either 'point to our form' or 'use API but you must have a merchant account and take their CC's"

It sounds almost too good to be true if they allowed API/integration without needing merchant or touching the cc's

danny

Old 01-03-2002, 07:28 PM
Web Hosting Master

You can still use the regrocket stuff with the API, but you'd need a secure certificate on your site, etc. Don't ask me how it is done exactly, I'm lost when it comes to these things.

In fact, currently, the whole thing is down, and there really hasn't been much movement on it. It was up briefly, but...

In other words, it is possible, don't ask me how, or ask me to point you in the direction of someone who knows how to do it (yet). When/If I get something up, I'll show it to you (via PM), and you can take a lookie.

Also, (sidenote), I'd imagine you can tie the API with various processors like 2checkout or authorize.net (anything that doesn't require *you* to actually deal with the cc's), but again, not my area.

Sorry that this is the type of 'help' that makes one *ask* questions rather than answer them, but I'm just telling you what I can at this point.

Chicken

Old 01-04-2002, 08:35 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

some enom options

Here are some things you can do with enom....

1. Open your own reseller account with them and pay the advance amount to establish it at whichever of the tiered prices they offer. This information and how to do it is displayed at their web site.

2. Find a reseller who is prepared to provide you with a 'reseller' account under terms and conditions which may be easier and less expensive than dealing with enom directly, that is to say they may allow the minimum purchase of one domain at a time. Note that the minimum amount that you can add to your reseller account is US$25 by credit card. You will now be charged another 3% on top by enom for CC account refills.

3. If you use Registry Rocket with either the direct enom, or the sub reseller arrangement, you get to use the bundled merchant services provided by enom.

This means that when a customer visits the page set up for your Registry Rocket account and they choose to pay by credit card, the payment is processed via enom's merchant service. The 'profit' you earn has 3% and 95 cents deducted by enom, plus the amount you pay for domains, and the balance is placed in a 'commission account' where it cools for 90 days to make sure it's not fraudulent. After 90 days, subject to the total, you can either have them send you a cheque, or you can transfer the amount to your main account where you can register domains and purchase services manually, even with the registry Rocket link on your web site.

This is the only way the Registry Rocket works, but at all times you can also access all the enom services manually.

4. If you choose to use the API which works with .asp or Perl, then you can use either the enom merchant service as with the Registry Rocket, OR you can code in your own merchant gateway, eg authorize.net. This means that the customer accesses your merchant account directly from the enom API when a purchase is made. To do this you must have a credit balance in your reseller account because the process doesn't split the customer payment between enom to pay for the domain and you to deliver your profit.

If you use the enom merchant account this problem does not arise because they take the domain payment and merchant fees from the charge and credit the 'profit' to you.

So, if you use the API with your own merchant gateway [I don't think the 2checkout type of service works, you must legally be the merchant] then you must put cash into your account to fund the purchase and you receive all the proceeds from the sale.

If you use enoms merchant service you don't have to have any funds in your account.

If you use the API, Chicken is right, you must have your own SSL certificate and the Net:SL module for it to work.

5. you can at all times just regsiter domains manually by filling your account with enough money for 2-3 domains, once it's established

6. You can create sub accounts for your customers to hold their domains in if you wish, but your access to those is restricted if you don't have the password.

The number of features that are standard with enom is without fail the most you can get from any registrar and it's free.. you can even get domains for $6.00 if you don't require any DNS... eg if just hoarding a name/s.

The API requires that someone with some basic knowledge of scripting language installs it, it isn't point an click.

consul is probably right about how to handle small numbers of registrations, but with enom you can do this with the help of an existing reseller who will give you the one at a time option.

By the way this is not an ad for us, as we are obviously enom resellers, because we don't give out sub reseller accounts to anyone other than our own existing customers and that's by private treaty.

If you are looking for some enom resellers who might help you, consider asking enom, they are very nice people and 'should' have no problem with suggestions, as far as I know. [hoping I haven't put my foot in my mouth]

Hope this helps..

Old 01-04-2002, 08:54 PM
Web Hosting Master

Enom is going to change their policy regarding accepting credit cards however.

In their words, "... we are encouraging you to change the way you make refills...with bank wires and checks instead of with credit cards...the fees for using [credit cards] will be passed on to you."

Not sure what this means yet. We'll find out next week.

-t

Old 01-04-2002, 09:03 PM
Web Hosting Evangelist

3%

Quote:
Originally posted by thewitt
Enom is going to change their policy regarding accepting credit cards however.

In their words, "... we are encouraging you to change the way you make refills...with bank wires and checks instead of with credit cards...the fees for using [credit cards] will be passed on to you."

Not sure what this means yet. We'll find out next week.

-t

I mentioned that above..

What it means is that they are going to charge 3% of any reseller account refills made by credit card.

This is separate of course from the merchant fees charged at the other end.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
DreamHost to Use eNom Reseller Platform to Manage Domain Business Web Hosting News 2013-07-31 15:08:12
WHMCS Integrates eNom New TLD Portal Web Hosting News 2013-04-04 16:44:38
eNom Readies One and Two-Character .ORG Domain Auction Web Hosting News 2013-04-01 13:31:57
eNom VP Chris Sheridan on New TLDs and the Hosting Business Whir Tv 2014-05-02 14:31:40
eNom Integrates New TLD Tool with Parallels Plesk for Hosts to Build Watchlists Web Hosting News 2013-01-29 14:54:00