hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : can non US register .us domain name?

Forum Jump

can non US register .us domain name?

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Temporarily Suspended

can non US register .us domain name?

hello,

I am wondering, can non-us register .us domain name? i try in a few sites, but all required us citizen only.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2004, 09:38 AM

You have to be a US citizen or legal US entity to register a .US domain name. Here is a section of the T&C that covers this:

Registrants in the usTLD must be either:
1. A natural person (i) who is a United States citizen, (ii) a permanent resident of the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories, or (iii) whose primary place of domicile is in the United States of America or any of its possessions [Nexus Category 1],
2. An entity or organization that is (i) incorporated within one of the fifty (50) U.S. states, the District of Columbia, or any of the United States possessions or territories or organized, or (ii) otherwise constituted under the laws of a state of the United States of America, the District of Columbia or any of its possessions or territories (including a federal, state, or local government of the United States, or a political subdivision thereof, and unincorporated organizations based in the United States) [Nexus Category 2], or
3. An entity or organization that has a bona fide presence in the United States of America or any of its possessions or territories. [Nexus Category 3]

Prospective registrant will certify that they have a "bona fide presence in the United States" on the basis of real and substantial lawful contacts with, or lawful activities in, the United States of America. This requirement is intended to ensure that only those individuals or organizations that have a substantive lawful connection to the United States are permitted to register for usTLD domain names.

It shall be a continuing requirement that all usTLD domain name registrants maintain the US Nexus Requirement.

Reseller.CaptainDomains.com

Old 08-08-2004, 01:05 PM
Temporarily Suspended

thanks captain-d, i get clearer now

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2004, 02:40 PM
Web Hosting Master

I see people who don't fit the criteria buying and selling .us domains all the time on forums. Doesn't look like it gets checked at all by the registry.

Old 08-08-2004, 03:22 PM
Web Hosting Master

They are not strict at all. I see people who do not meet the criteria buying/selling these names ALL the time

Old 08-08-2004, 03:37 PM
Web Hosting Master

I think it is fair to say very few registries follow their own terms and conditions unless it suits them or forced upon them.

Old 08-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Retired Moderator

since registration is automated process its not checked manually, bit incase of problems domain would be revoked from the owner

Twitter: Bashar Al-Abdulhadi

Old 08-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Web Hosting Guru

nexus category 3 is very broad, I would say it would be very difficult for the regitry to legitmately cancel a registration without spending a lot of time invetigating each case.

Old 08-09-2004, 07:19 AM
Temporarily Suspended

but for non us to buy the domain name is quite risky, if they push their pagerank to 7 or 8 for .us domain, than only the registrar suspend the domain name, i think, it is really not worth it!

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - June 6, 2014 Web Hosting News 2014-06-06 15:39:46
Donuts Inc. Opens Sunrise Period for Seven New Generic Top-Level Domains Web Hosting News 2013-11-26 17:46:12
GoDaddy Launches Pre-Registration for New gTLDs Including .MENU Web Hosting News 2013-11-11 11:28:59
Brands Pay Up to Protect Trademarks Ahead of New gTLD Release Web Hosting News 2013-03-27 15:26:55
Nominet Temporarily Forced to Ditch Plans for Shorter .UK Domains Web Hosting News 2013-03-18 10:19:10