Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Logo / top banner design contest(?)

I'm redesigning/relaunching a community website and need to come up with a new logo/graphic that can be used on a business card as well as the 'top' graphic for the site. Would like to be light/sky blue as the primary color... I think.

Let me say this, the site hasn't had a redesign/facelift in at least 5 years, so I know it's dated and not so flashy. I'm still not big on having graphic heavy 'flashy' websites, but I'm ready to accept I'm no graphic artist and will be looking for a nice template to use as well. So as you visit the site for ideas, keep the comments to yourself!

But for right now, a little background. the site is located at www.DaytONline.com (pronounced dayton online.com) Since I own the www.daytononline.com domain as well, I'm giving up on the cutesy spelling as no one ever 'got it' anyway. So the graphic should have the site name as www.DaytonOnline.com or some deviation of that (same spelling but be creative on how you present it)

A little background Dayton is located in the south west part of Ohio in the Midwest of the USA. It has a history with aviation. The Wright Brothers (inventors of the first airplane) are from here. The first controlled flight took place here. We're not far from the birth place of John Glenn first U.S. man in space, and 30 minutes from the hometown of Neil Armstrong the first man on the moon. Why am I telling you this? Because around here it is a big deal. We have a huge U.S. Air Force Base and a lot of history with flight and technology. So the graphic needs to reflect that with a sense of aviation history and future technology. Way back, there was an active webring and the motto was "Birthplace of Aviation and Cradle of Innovation", hmmm... I still kinda like that.

Feel free to poke around the current site, keeping in mind I've not really spent any time on it in years and there are likely numerous errors. But you may be able to find a couple of graphics that are usable for a starting point with modification. The site is going to be converted to a phpyellow directory ( if you don't know what that is www.phpyellow.com or if you have a better script suggestion for the same type of site, I'm open to that.) with news through rss and become a hub for a network of community website (Dayton home sales, Dayton car sales and so on)

Remember, this needs to high enough quality I could use it on a business card, but still small enough that it doesn't choke a dialup user. Also, just to make it more fun, I would like to have it as a .png or .psd so I can modify the words to use the same look on the other sites in the network.

The Details:
    This will run until Sunday 8-8-04 at approximate 11:00pm EASTERN time. I may not make an immediate decision since there may be last minute entries, but a winner will be announced in this thread no later than 8-9-04 at 11:00pm EASTERN time. The winner will know prior to posting.

Prize is $35.00u.s. paid preferably through Paypal, but we can come up with other payment options if needed.

OK, if you have any questions post them here. Good Luck and Thanks!

Logo

It was a quick job, yes.

That's just the basic look of it, I can always size it down, change color, make the picture quality better (this is low-quality for security), remove the watermark, make it into business cards, etc.

Yea, and if we're allowed to throw in more entries, I'll do that to.

Thanks.

Hey this is my entry, but guess who entered him?

members.lycos.co.uk/randomimages/grounded_arse.gif

use mambo instead of phpyellow .

KamiDev - feel free to create as many ideas as you wish. I'm open to some creativity from you and everyone as this is not my strong point.

bagypants - Mambo? I think I took a brief look at it, but didn't see an easy way of integrating payment options into a directory format. I'll take another look or if you have any information about modules or hacks to it that do what I want, please PM me.

Thanks!

a Design

hi,

yet another fast entry
    LOGO

thanx in advance for your comments

sincerely yours,

mambo's got some great support, i'm sure if you head on over to their site, i think it's mamboportal.com (or google it), i'm pretty sure they have some modules (that's what they call them), for payment integration.

I've used mambo before and liked it, because it's nice and easy/flexible to customize. You can go ahead with phpyellow though it's entirely up to you.

My Try..

Would this be something? I's strait from my brain. No imitation or anything else..

DaytonOnline Logo

Thank You.
    My woman left me..
    I've got no website..
    I've got no money..

NotPro nice start for off the top of your head.

le_prince has got a good grasp on it, the one you pm'd me with the little airplane is on the right track. although I'd like to see the airplane a little less cartoonish.

Kamidev remember that I want the logo spelling changed from daytonline to dayton online so people stop saying it wrong

Here are some links to graphics on the site that may help with a starting point to work out a logo. Use both or either or none, whatever you can come up with.

http://www.daytononline.com/postcard...ytonnights.jpg

http://www.daytononline.com/postcard/images/skyline.jpg

http://www.daytononline.com/gifs/dayton.jpg

The last one is the only airplane image I have on the site. But if you have a generic airplane graphic, feel free to use it instead.

i'll be intrested, but you can't use photos you didn't take. Since i'm a photogapher, i can use some photos i took at boston at night or at new york city....
    Albert Chen
    Designepic.com Bannerepic.com
    website & graphics design | Hosting
    aim/icq : achenxp | msn : albc15@hotmail.com

Well, here's your airplane! I can replace it with a jumbo jet if you wish

Logo with airplane
    My woman left me..
    I've got no website..
    I've got no money..

Nice job!
    Michael

Hmm.. hopefully I can come up with something before the deadline.
    AIM: AtonexCOM

Thread has been merged
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••

here's my go based on the "starting point" images provided:
    http://www.limitlessfx.com/buzz/daytononline-logo.gif

Well how many hours are left till the deadline ? I am making one logo too..

ricocheting, YES! very nice!!! Now we're talkin'! Might work on the colors... little 'brighter' maybe?

Anyone else? Still got about 21 hours

Do you want an animated one ?

NAPA, no animation as it needs to be printed on a business card as well. I've given a detailed description in the first post of this thread.

OK This is my submission.

http://filmcity.uni.cc/dayton.gif

Originally posted by DaytonKnight
    ricocheting, YES! very nice!!! Now we're talkin'! Might work on the colors... little 'brighter' maybe?
    here's some variations like you suggested:
    http://www.limitlessfx.com/buzz/daytononline-logo02.jpg

Here.. my last try.. take it or leave it

New Dayton

Thank you.
    My woman left me..
    I've got no website..
    I've got no money..

damn, nice work notpro!
    dailybird studios
    AIM: panb00 - ICQ: 263300264 - MSN: chris@dailybird.com

Wow, NotPro... great job!!

Still got just under 2 hours for anyone else!

It's 11:00pm EASTERN time. Contest has ended. I'll look through them and maybe consult with co-workers in the morning. I'll have a winner decided by mid-afternoon on Monday and will contact them by email.

I'll post the winning design here tomorrow evening.

Thank you for your entries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast