hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : What should I plan for?

Forum Jump

What should I plan for?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2004, 01:34 PM

Arrow

What should I plan for?

(summary at bottom)

I've been away from dealing with webhosts for a while (aside from a friend letting me use 100MB/1GB for $.50 a month to play with ). Coming home from college, however, my mother has a project for me. She is a realtor, and she is currently paying $30/month for her 'webpage'. There are a lot of people that take advantage of real estate agents and offer them a 'simple' solution for a $300 setup fee and outrageous monthy fees. [my mother is currently using one of the 'cheaper' services]. Anyway, I can create basically the same service for her at a much cheaper cost. Simple databasing and user-friendly forms and I've got a marketable service.

What I came here to ask, is what should I look for in a host? I can't see these agents using 5GB a month, maybe the busiest sites getting 10GB. They also don't need very much space. They run 3-6 listings at a time with a few pictures and some text for each, nothing major. Nobody would need more than 50mb, as long as I keep the servers tidy.

Basically, I don't know how well this is going to take off. I'm going back to school but it's an easy service to maintain from a distance. I know I should have at least 3 clients (+1 community site they want to share). But, the way word spreads through these offices, if these people are satisfied with the price/service they will drive more business.

What I'm looking for is a host that can provide me with multiple domain hosting and an easily upgradeable plan. How should I go about this. I'm thinking that down the road I might want to look into a dedicated/managed server, assuming this picks up between the area offices, but I don't think I need to make the service capable of handling that yet. What is my best plan of action.

Summary: I'll be running a service that will originally demand <20GB transfer and <200mb disk space, but may grow rapidly. What should I do about hosting?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2004, 01:41 PM
Web Hosting Master

Get hosting that is not a rip off, that would be my first step.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Disabled

Look for a contact number,Plenty of support options, a clients page or company forum where you can post and ask other clients how the service is. Read through these forums once you find one that you are interested in. Look for reviews as well.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Retired Moderator

You could try the hostquote feature at the top of the page - if you put realistic expectations you will likely get a few quotes. Also check the shared/reseller offers section on this forum and then do research into the hosts you are interested in.

Old 08-05-2004, 02:29 PM
Retired Moderator

Seems to me that a reseller account would do the job. Just be extracareful as the quality of your hosting is pretty much the quality of your own host.

Research the hosts using http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search.php?s= and google. Customer reviews - the key to making a good hosting choice...

Also beware of too good to be true offers... Not all hosting is the same and certain prices are serious red flags.

Good luck!

Old 08-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Real estate listings

Hi,

I second the opinion related to support options (phone with live person, online messaging, forums).

In your situation I think that you have several options (I am refering here to a CPanel server):

1. Multiple domains account. This situation is ideal when you don't want your clients to administer their domains. You will be the person dealing with email accounts creation, script installs, basically everything related to a hosting account management).

2. Reseller account. Your clients are able to manage their domains, you have more flexibility in administering different hosting packages.

3. Dedicated server. Same options as point 2 plus a lot of other features plus the complications of administering a server. In this case, if you don't have experience with this you should find a company/person able to manage the server for you or buy a managed server.

Being business oriented the uptime and accessibility are essential, therefore, you should ask the company you would like to use several questions:

- server hardware (processor, RAM)
- backup policy
- average response time to support requests (in can make some tests before deciding)
- if they are a reseller or they own/manage the server
- datacenter information (connectivity)
- since when are they in business

You better take your time before deciding, the beginning is very important for what you are planning to do and your host reliability is crucial for your success.

There are plenty of good hosting companies in these forums, do a search, spend a few hours reading and I am almost sure that you will find what you are looking for.

Good luck.

Catalin

Old 08-05-2004, 10:27 PM
Web Hosting Master

Make sure you look for a host that offers plans that are scalable and allow you to grow easily without disrupting current clients. Also look for a reliable host that offers what you need along with good reliable service. Don't go for that company that offers you the world for the lowest pricing but in doing so, cuts corners and provides bad service. Contact them on the phone, test out their support&nbsp;&nbsp;and get a good feel for what type of company they are before moving forward.

Good Luck!

Network Speed Test

Old 08-06-2004, 01:04 AM
Web Hosting Master

Well, as already said.. reseller looks to be a good option for you, if you are planning to host more such sites... there are several reputable hosts here. You have to do a liiltle research.. like searching google, wht, reading reviews, checking stats ect to find a good host.. but the work is worth the result

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Box Doubles Storage for Free Plan, Launches $5 Enterprise Plan Web Hosting News 2013-08-22 13:32:27
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – May 24, 2013 Web Hosting News 2013-05-27 09:23:23
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - April 12, 2013 Web Hosting News 2013-04-12 16:11:36
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup – February 15, 2013 Web Hosting News 2013-02-15 16:40:42
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - October 5, 2012 Web Hosting News 2012-10-05 16:32:06