Thread: Stable host.

Stable host.

I am looking for a stable host in which I can run my forum on.

All suggestions are accepted.

How large of a forum are you talking about?

Something not exceeding the 150MB.

Checkout VPS service from dinix although i agree its costs more (compared to a shared hosting) but they are worth it...

Good Luck
    Glanhosts We are under construction

If the forum is low traffic and doesn't have 100 online users, you will be safe on any shared hosting account.
    Laurence Flynn @ HostNEXUS.com
    Managed WordPress Hosting Solutions
    Focused on speed. Obsessed with security.

That is if the forum software is well written as well...

Originally posted by NexDog
    If the forum is low traffic and doesn't have 100 online users, you will be safe on any shared hosting account.
    Agreed

phpbb or vbulletin will do fine for your forum.

I completely agree that any shared solution would suit your needs. I think that a VPS may be a little overboard, if your you board is not very busy as NexDog suggested....

If you do not have at least 100 users on your site at once, at any given time....you should be fine on a shared solution.

There's no reason to pay more than you have to, before you have to.
    Mark - Owner/Lead Designer
    avidInteractive
    Lead vocalist for Circle7: Circle7 on MTV

Originally posted by ANMMark

There's no reason to pay more than you have to, before you have to.
    That's both true and not true, effortless expansion is nice. If he plans on moving considerable traffic in 2 months, it really isn't worth the hassle of switching hosts.
    Sam
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

start off with a shared hosting and slowly upgrade to dedicated server when the forum get exceptionally big.

Moving a forum takes all of 5 minutes. Dump DB, tar forum files, move. Just save some $ now for later.

Originally posted by GideonX
    Moving a forum takes all of 5 minutes. Dump DB, tar forum files, move.

that's for small , medium forum

That's both true and not true, effortless expansion is nice. If he plans on moving considerable traffic in 2 months, it really isn't worth the hassle of switching hosts.
    I wouldn't imagine that there would be any hassle at all, and the key to succeeding is knowing where and when to be frugal. There is no reason to drop $100 on a vps account, when the success of any board is uncertain.
    avidInteractive

that's for small , medium forum
    Actually that's for ANY forum. It depends on your connection however. Either way the process is the same, but of course the larger the dbs the longer it will take. It still shouldn't take very long however.
    avidInteractive

Originally posted by ANMMark
    Actually that's for ANY forum. It depends on your connection however. Either way the process is the same, but of course the larger the dbs the longer it will take. It still shouldn't take very long however.
    two hands up. totally agree.

My forum is quite low. But I am interested in a stable host that doesn't get d/c every now and then...

That i wasn't concerned with. With a forum you run into DNS propagation issues. Half the world sees one site and is posting to it, while the other half sees the new site and is posting that. Threads get jumbled and lost, people wonder where their posts went and in general it is not a pleasant experience.
    Sam Machiz / Director, Product Development / Ubersmith
    smachiz[at]ubersmith.com / [direct] 212-812-4194

Basically, after having experience with several other hosts, which were all nice and friendly.. however, downtimes for a new website are not acceptable for a forum, and dramasticly slow databases. Im searching for a new stable, and affordable host. I do not run high traffic forum, as we are just starting out. But you do understand that uptime, and a speedy browsing is needed for a forum.

Thanks.

That i wasn't concerned with. With a forum you run into DNS propagation issues. Half the world sees one site and is posting to it, while the other half sees the new site and is posting that. Threads get jumbled and lost, people wonder where their posts went and in general it is not a pleasant experience.
    Extremely accurate. I have had this occur on a few occassions. However, there is a method to the science so to speak.

When it comes time to upgrade to a dedicated or vps, one must accept the fact that data has a chance of getting jumbled, especially with a message board.....and then take precausions based on those. No business or venture is without problem from time to time...it's just knowing how to handle them that makes the difference.

If the time came to bump up to a vps or dedicated server, the board could be backed up, moved, then temporarily closed with a message as to why it's closed "Moving to a new server to better serve you" etc...

In any case, you have brought up a valid issue that should be thought and planned out, well in advance, so when the time comes, you have a clear plan in motion.

I am interested in a stable host that doesn't get d/c every now and then...
    Not sure I understand what you mean. Every host will be go down once in a while, to allow for upgrades, etc.... even on a 100% network uptime guarantee, you still allow for downtime for kernal upgrades, patches, control panel upgrades, etc....
    avidInteractive

Yes, I agree to what you've said Mark. But my point is the technical error downtime that a lot of companies claim to have when a downtime occures.

ahh ok...then yes I agree
    avidInteractive

Well anyon would recommend a host he/has a forum up running on it?

Originally posted by someuser
    But my point is the technical error downtime that a lot of companies claim to have when a downtime occures.
    You must be looking at the wrong companies. I rarely come across any host that lists "technical error" as an excuse for downtime.
    YourCheapHost.com - Low cost multi domain hosting solutions. [Legal adult content friendly]
    Reliable web site hosting is our motto. We have Alertra stats to back that up.
    Proven provider of high quality shared and reseller accounts since 2002.