All domains attached to nameservers - HELP!

I have two really old nameservers, that are no longer attached to ANY server...they are just pointing to "nothing". That particular server has been offline for more than a year.

Come to find out, there are still ALOT of domains pointing to those nameservers and the registrar won't let me delete the nameservers (I'm still paying for the IPs - ack!) until all the domains are pointing elsewhere.

I've talked to openSRS and usually they are more than helpful. In this particular case they can tell me how many domains are pointing to them (last time I talked to them, it was 112 domains) - but they can't/won't give me a list of the domains so that I can contact the domain owners.

These are all domains who's hosting accounts have expired and they never bothered to move the hosting elsewhere.

Is there ANYWHERE that I can go to find out the actual domains that are pointing to: ns1.whitelakeweb.com and ns2.whitelakeweb.com ?!?!?

HELP!!!!

--Tina
    ||| 99.999% Uptime SLA!!!
    Plenty of space and bandwidth to fit your needs!
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

Wow. Can they really do that? I mean you have already informed them that the nameservers are technically inoperational. It makes no sense of having to pay for them if you want them to be deleted.

The domains pointing to your nameserver will not be affected whether it is operational or not. Right? So, what is the point of the registrar not allowing you to delete it. Do they make sense?
    Can the hosting community do something about this issue? You guys may be hooked up to something like this in the long run.

As for me, that is just my comment. I am not yet into hosting. I hope Tina can solve her problem soon. Goodluck!

I help entrepreneurs develop online branding. I value my clients and build relationships. I am a friend.
    Let me assist you with your website design, logo design and other graphics needs.
    Ganah Solutions, a brand creation agency. Solidify your brand. Connect your business.

Originally posted by consul

The domains pointing to your nameserver will not be affected whether it is operational or not. Right?
    Exactly! These domains are dead - not pointing to anything and not hosted by anyone. The owners just abandoned the domains...for almost a year they've been totally dead links.

OpenSRS (and aparently ALL registrars) will not remove nameservers from the registry until it has ZERO domains pointed to them.

Right now, I'm just waiting on all these domains to expire. I know of one that is good through 2005 - which means I might end up paying for the IPs for three more years!

--Tina
    www.AEIandYou.com - - (WP Friendly - Premium Reseller Hosting and Cheap Dedicated Servers)

* just a thought

Take both systems off line and use them as e-mail servers somewhere else.

go out an find a popup program somewhere

create a master page for those 112 accounts

that way you might still get some revenue.

I don't want to do any of that. I want to know if there is any way to find out the 112 domains that are still pointing to these nameservers?

That's the question.

--Tina

What would happen if you just refused to pay for the IPs any longer? (and I did a search but couldn't find anything to answer the actual question)
    Justin K.
    "Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue."

the only thing I can think of is the ARIN look up http://www.arin.net/whois/arinwhois.html

and maybe the whois from network solution

sorry that's about it.

<edit>oops, I misunderstood your comment about paying for IP addresses, sorry.</edit>
    Last edited by cperciva; 12-30-2001 at 01:10 AM.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

Originally posted by JustinK
    What would happen if you just refused to pay for the IPs any longer? (and I did a search but couldn't find anything to answer the actual question)

My upstream provides me with IPs. They can't reuse the IPs because they are attached to the nameservers. It's not my upstreams fault that openSRS (actually, I think it's just the rules that openSRS has to abide by) won't delete these nameservers.

So, I wouldn't screw my upstream provider over on payment because of this.

Thanks for checking. If ANYONE has any ideas - please let me know.

--Tina

Originally posted by cperciva
    Why don't you just move the domain to a registrar which doesn't charge you for having nameservers registered? I have a domain for which I once registered ns1. and ns2. which I'm no longer using... I've since moved the domain and I have no idea what IP addresses those are bound to in the root nameservers any more.
    It's my upstream that charges me for the IPs - because they can't reuse them as long as the nameservers are attached to them.

For the record, my upstream provider charges me WAY TOO MUCH for IPs - but their service is amazing and I get alot of extra "perks", so I'm happy.

It just makes me mad that I am stuck paying for these IPs for the next (at least) three years because openSRS won't delete the nameservers.

--Tina

I have nothing better to do so I'm still searching. The following looked interesting though:
    http://www.domainwatch.com/
    Justin K.
    "Error: Keyboard not found. Press any key to continue."

Ok, now that I properly understand the issue... why not point those nameserver entries into the middle of nowhere? I don't mean to randomly pick IP addresses; I mean to pick addresses which are never going to be used by anyone. Addresses like 127.27.18.28, or perhaps 0.31.41.59.

I don't know if your registrar will allow either of those, but there's lots of unrouted address space which is likely to forever remain that way into which you could point the nameserver entries.
    Dr. Colin Percival, FreeBSD Security Officer
    Online backups for the truly paranoid: http://www.tarsnap.com/

Thats odd because when I had this problem StargateInc.com told me which domains were linked to them....
    John
    http://www.zurax.com
    http://www.jwshosting.com

You may be able to ask stargate (I beleive they have a rep on the forum but he/she doesn't post much), or possibly transfer the domains to stargate, if they won't help you without doing so?
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Originally posted by Chicken
    You may be able to ask stargate (I beleive they have a rep on the forum but he/she doesn't post much), or possibly transfer the domains to stargate, if they won't help you without doing so?

Umm...I'm not with Stargate and if I knew the domains in question - I wouldn't be trying to find out which domains were in question.

--Tina

I think that Chicken mean move whitelakeweb.com to stargate.
    Shared Web Hosting - Reseller Hosting - Semi-Dedicated Servers - SolusVM/XEN VPS
    LiteSpeed Powered - R1Soft Continuous Data Protection - 24/7 Chat/Email/Helpdesk Support
    Cpanel/WHM - Softaculous - R1soft Backup - Litespeed - Cloudlinux -Site Builder- SSH support - Account Migration
    DowntownHost LLC - In Business since 2001- West/Center/East USA - Netherlands - Singapore

Yes, that's what I meant. The first part was just throwing out that they might be able to help you *without* transferring the domain, but I don't know about that.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

I have suffered exactly the same problem and a slightly different one aswell.

I decided to migrate from a reseller account to a new dedi-server and location. Came up with a plan of moving all my customers to new name servers so that I would only have to amend the IP's whenever I changed servers and would not need to bother the customer.

First problem came when setting up the new name servers. I got my IP's but when I came to create the name servers somebody had hijacked one of them!

3hosting4u.com had created ns1.3hosting4u.com one my IP?? Who the hell are they I thought. Tried emailing the admin contact of the domain but no response. The IP was of no use the them as it pointed to my servers? I therefore set-up the domain on my server to forward to my own home page thinking they may then contact me!

Nothing except an extra 2,000 hits from that domain (Not bad really) quick search revealed the domain was listed in most hosting search engines.

Anyway still nothing after 3 weeks! so I contacted OpenSRS explaining my problem. They replied saying the domain had invalid details (ie they had entered 'NA' for all contact details except email address)

OpenSRS said they could delete the domain on these grounds but had to give the admin contact 15 days to respond. 15 days later they deleted the domain but this took 3 days to propogate and then a further 3 days for the name server to be deleted.

So 49 days after getting the IP it was eventually mine!

Next came moving the domains. Created a website with step by step instructions for customers on what to do.

However (on to Tina's problem) I had five domains which remained on the old name servers, which costed me as they were personalised name servers so I wanted to delete them. For three domains I was the Technical contact and they had been registered via NetSol so using all the faxed header stuff managed to get them moved.

The last two I could get no contact with, no response nothing and I had no control over them at all!

However since the old name servers belonged to one of my domains I purchased two additional IP's for my new server then amended the old name servers to reflect the new IP's once propogated I was then able to return my two old IP's and stop paying for them.

In all the whole process took about 60 days!

Since I used OpenSRS to register my domains for the name servers there is no charge for this service. So I can create unlimited name servers. The only cost is the additional IP's purchased from my dedi-server comapny which are only a small £15 per year each.

Not sure if this helps you but could you not purchase two additional IP's with another company and move the name servers to them until the domains expire as I did.

Tina I know your with OpenSRS. I was just saying its odd that OpenSRS wont tell you when Stargate told me. I believe when I was with Dotster they also told me.
    John
    http://www.zurax.com
    http://www.jwshosting.com

As with my predicament above OpenSRS were unable to tell me which domains were linked to the name servers, so Tina has likely tried and failed.

It seems that anyone with access to the .com and .net zone files (any registrar or several domain related, or internic friendly organizations) could give you a list of the .com and .net ones, at least.

What're the name servers? Maybe I can come up with a list. I did some contract work for someone who had access to the .com and .net zone files, once.
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Originally posted by bitserve
    [clip]What're the name servers? Maybe I can come up with a list. I did some contract work for someone who had access to the .com and .net zone files, once.
    She posted them in her first note:
    Is there ANYWHERE that I can go to find out the actual domains that are pointing to: ns1.whitelakeweb.com and ns2.whitelakeweb.com ?!?!?
    -t
    myOstrich Internet - OpenSRS Domain Names & Digital Certificates
    http://www.myostrich.net

doh!
    -Mark Adams
    www.bitserve.com - Secure Michigan web hosting for your business.
    Only host still offering a full money back uptime guarantee and prorated refunds.
    Offering advanced server management and security incident response!

Red face Re: All domains attached to nameservers - HELP!

Are you still working on this problem? If so, and if I understand the problem (probably not), then why not set up a free advertising page for those domains? Any requests for the old nameserver IP addresses go to a single page. This means the old nameservers are again functional. Look at the zone transfer logs to see where are going the zone transfers. Use this information to track down the registrars. Does that make sense? I may just be tired and babbling nonsense. I've only barely skimmed "DNS and BIND" by Albitz & Liu (4th Edition).

Originally posted by AffordableHost
    I have two really old nameservers, that are no longer attached to ANY server...they are just pointing to "nothing". That particular server has been offline for more than a year.

Come to find out, there are still ALOT of domains pointing to those nameservers and the registrar won't let me delete the nameservers (I'm still paying for the IPs - ack!) until all the domains are pointing elsewhere.

I've talked to openSRS and usually they are more than helpful. In this particular case they can tell me how many domains are pointing to them (last time I talked to them, it was 112 domains) - but they can't/won't give me a list of the domains so that I can contact the domain owners.

These are all domains who's hosting accounts have expired and they never bothered to move the hosting elsewhere.

HELP!!!!

--Tina