hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Domain Names : experiences with cheap registrars

Forum Jump

experiences with cheap registrars

Reply Post New Thread In Domain Names Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2001, 08:53 PM

experiences with cheap registrars

Has anyone had experiences (positive or negative) with sub-$10 registrars such as namecheap.com and dotdealers.com? They both seem to have excellent deals on domain registration, but I'm just wondering if it's too good to be true? And any other recommendations for good registrars who give you full access to the DNS would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2001, 09:18 PM
Web Hosting Master

The only sub $10 registrar that I have used is Stargate, and while they seem alright, I've had some issues where domains would go missing from the control panel and the like.

On the other hand I've heard good things about GoDaddy, but haven't used them myself. Personally I wouldn't trust them, as they send out spam email to their customers, and their owner has run several companies into the ground in the past.

Right now I've decided to cough up that little bit extra and use Dotster. IMHO the piece of mind that a solid registrar like Dotster gives you is worth it in the long run.

cPanel #1 Web Hosting Control Panel Included
WHT members benefit from our industry leading 60 day money back guarantee with no small print
Now accepting PayPal™ - Click here to order now

Old 12-23-2001, 09:44 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

Namecheap.com

I've registered a couple of domains with Namecheap.com and am planning to transfer another over to them sometime soon.
Their free dns services work quite well if you want to use them but they could be better documented in some places.
No major complaints thus far from me.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2001, 01:28 AM

I use GoDaddy, and yes, I do receive emails from them from time to time, but it's not like I mind that much. They also have good customer service. Well, I had good customer service, anyway.

Old 12-24-2001, 03:14 AM
Web Hosting Master

Hi!

Stargateinc.com is great! No problems with them.
Domains go missing because when you register a new domain and you login to your account during the ordering process you change the registrant info right away. To avoid getting this problem, just register using the info in your existing account and change the info afterwards. That should do it.

Anyway, it is easy to recover the lost/missing domain in your control panel. When you click on Account Login, there is a field at the bottom where you enter the domain under "Forgot Your Password?" section. An email will be sent to your designated email address when you register the domain. And then you can login and change the login and password for this domain to be the same as your preferred account. This way all domains are managed altogether under one account.

One thing more, use the support ticketing system on their website. It is faster and efficient. You can also keep track of your transferred domain.

As of this writing, we recommend Stargate (see our site if you must).

Quote:
Originally posted by avara
The only sub $10 registrar that I have used is Stargate, and while they seem alright, I've had some issues where domains would go missing from the control panel and the like...

Ganah -- Turning the waves of internet services (TM)

Old 12-24-2001, 04:23 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

I'd have to go with GoDaddy, they sell inexpensive domain names. Good support, you get treated like you paid $89.95 instead of $8.95 for the domain name!

Old 12-24-2001, 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the leads everyone... I'm checking them all out!

Old 12-24-2001, 11:29 AM
Junior Guru Wannabe

You guys should check out GKG.net

It's USD 9.99/year for domains and the service is rather top notch! Not that I work for them... but comparatively, they're much better than my previous registrar - joker.com

Old 12-24-2001, 03:34 PM

For those of you using stargate, have you had any issues with being able to change DNS settings to your own (or hosts') name servers? Stargate's FAQs seem to imply you need to use their name servers in order to use their control panel... or perhaps I haven't read far enough yet?

Old 12-24-2001, 10:10 PM
Web Hosting Master

Hi! Merry Christmas!

Well, no problem changing with DNS servers. You only use Stargate's DNS servers if you want the URL forwarding/masking feature and one(1) free email account. But, you will not have any problem fielding your own (or your hosting company's) DNS servers.

I have several domains with them. No problem at all.

Ganah -- Turning the waves of internet services (TM)

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Registrars That Complied with UK Police Orders Violated ICANN Policy: easyDNS Web Hosting News 2013-10-11 10:33:31
Without Court Orders, UK Police Demand Registrars Suspend Torrent Domains Web Hosting News 2013-10-10 11:51:53
.co.za Domain Price Hike Expected to Push Registrars, ISPs to Use EPP System Web Hosting News 2013-01-11 13:35:51
ARI Registry Services to Launch Top Level Domain DNS Services Web Hosting News 2012-10-12 10:33:34
Irish Web Host Blacknight Offers .CO Domain Extensions Web Hosting News 2012-05-31 16:54:14