Anyone willing to give me any SEO tips

Hey I've done alot of research and I have countless things to do Like get added to dmoz.org and making a site map... But can anyone provide me with any handy tips that work?

Hi there. I posted a pretty long reply to a similar question here - http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...hreadid=294935

Once you've read through this, check out this great resource for info on paid inclusion and free hand submission: http://www.wordsinarow.com/wheretogo.html

HTH!

Paul H
    Studio1337___̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__Web Design

Thanks the_pm your the man

Few tips;

Use full URL's
    Use alt="image description" in image tags
    Word content baring solution and domain name in mind
    Easy navigation
    If you use a Javascript menu, allow a html one elsewhere also
    ServeYourSite
    Web hosting done right
    ██ Shared, Reseller and Dedicated web hosting
    An Easy Web Presence Company

some quick tips on search engines:

-use dreamweaver for meta tags if you have it.
    -use your meta keywords at least 5-10 times repeatedly on the home page (try to find good ways to portray the info).
    -Have at the minimum 2 navigation menus on your site...so a person can move around at ease.

Check out www.seo-guy.com as well - good info there.
    Something witty here...

OK, I've written a lot about how to get rankings in the various search engines, because that's what people ask about. This time, though, I'm going to write about what's important, what successful, professional search engine marketers really are thinking about... and that quite simply is not "rankings."

You can look in any number of places to find the basic SEO tips -- keywords in your page title, keywords in heading tags, alt text, anchor text, etc., and statements about keyword density, whatever. Some of it is valid, some of it is valuable, some of it is out of date, some of it is rumor passed on as fact. Most of it won't hurt if you do it, and some of it will help.

But the point is, you can find that stuff everywhere and so can your competitors. You have to take these basic steps before you have a chance of ranking well for competitive searches, but keep in mind that everyone else is doing just what you are doing -- putting into place those well-known basics.

To go beyond being just another person who is applying the basics, which you have to do to rank well, it's not so easy to find the information. You can find background information on stuff like "Hilltop," "latent sematic indexing," and other things that are put into play in today's cutting edge SEO, but you won't find much firm advice. This is for two reasons: most people haven't explored it enough to be able to give advice (most sources of free SEO information aren't sources that have actually researched anything, they're sources of repeated conventional wisdom), and those who have aren't giving away what they've been able to learn: it's simply too valuable.

But there are things you can do to separate yourself from your run of the mill "I've read some sites about SEO so I know what I'm doing" competitors -- two things most importantly:

First, you think you know what keywords to target? Forget what you "know." Count on the fact that if you "know" these are the "right" keywords, so does everyone else. The biggest factor in successfully getting search engine traffic is choosing the right keywords to work with and they're usually not the obvious ones.

This is the trick: you want to target phrases that strike a balance between being searched failry often and not having many sites or pages optimized for them. Forget about the obvious choices, in most cases you can't compete there unless you really know what you're doing, are willing to go all out and bend the rules, and in a lot of cases have domain names that you're ready to put on the line and risk.

Put out of your mind the idea that high rankings are important. High rankings for your "obvious" keywords to nothing more than feed your ego. This is the essence of search engine marketing: rankings are meaningless! Many, many sites are selling a lot of products and services to search engine vistors without being ranked number one, in the top ten, or even on the first page or two, for what you think are the obvious searches that would get you get you to them. A second or third page ranking for a popular search term can be very effective, as can a first page ranking for a term that only a couple of dozen people in the world will search for in a day.

What matters is: getting traffic, first; and converting traffic to sales, second. Forget ranking reports, look at return on investment -- that's what pays the bills, being ranked first for your pet phrase does not.

Second point: content. I've reviewed hundreds of client and potential client sites, and the most common weakness is quite simply that the sites don't have content to optimize. Search engines rank text; search engines like words. It's difficult to get search engine traffic to sites that don't have significant text content, and it's even more difficult to get your visitors to sign up or buy from you if there's not compelling text content on the page they first see when they do get to your site.

So, here's how you succesfully compete for search engine traffic: forget what you "know," and ignore what everyone else thinks they "know." 90% of SEO information is simply guesswork; don't get bogged down in it.

Write. Write for your human visitors, not for the search engines. Again, ranking is meaningless if your visitors don't buy. Identify effective keywords and use them, certainly, but forget about things like keyword density. Write for your human visitors; use your key phrases as often as you can while still presenting copy that's sensible and compelling for your visitors.

One more time: forget about rankings. Think about traffic, and conversions. Think about making money, not about being listed above your biggest competitor on some search engine for some search query.
    Last edited by JayC; 07-15-2004 at 02:49 AM.
    Specializing in SEO and PPC management.

Thats just exelent JayC basically what your trying to say is your looking for a pot of gold on the other end of the rainbow with SEOing and to basically make your site for humans then pot of gold will come to you. I know that now more and more search engines are using link popularity which I think is an ingenius idea because it gives a sort of Democratic vote on websites which filters all the human picked sites to the top of search engines and most probably for there relevence.
    Last edited by Postmaster; 07-15-2004 at 10:23 AM.

Always try get a backlink from a website or webpage that is higher google page rank / PR then of yours.