Getting your site listed in 1,000 search engines and directories?

Hi I'm not sure if this question goes in this category but I've seen so many companies offer to "submit your site to 1,000 search engines and directories" either for a fee or for free with a purchase of one of their packages. How in the world do they do it? Obviously not mannually anyone know?

If You examine some basic submission scripts, you'll see that it's not a hard task.

First of all, you don't have to fill the web forms manually. Most of the search engines are using really easy submission forms (like Google addurl).

Of course, there has to be a dedicated server to provide such a service (1000 search engines), which will process all the submission requests. It's not too hard, all you need is examine the submission process of the searchengine to get required fields and then make your script fill them and post.

Last thing, are there really 1000 "useful" search engines out there?
    Every1Hosting
    www.every1hosting.com Realiable and Low Cost Linux Hosting Solutions
    www.every1domains.com Why Pay More? Check our domain name registration prices
    "your business is in the hands of true professionals"

Once you get into a few 'key' search engines, the others will pick you up in time...

Check out The Open Directory Project . There are alot of obscure search engines that just use the database from the DMOZ.

That's my .02

Originally posted by Veign
    Once you get into a few 'key' search engines, the others will pick you up in time...

Check out The Open Directory Project . There are alot of obscure search engines that just use the database from the DMOZ.

That's my .02
    Veign is right, once you get into the DMOZ and Google, you will be picked up in no time.

so you are saying all tehse companies basically do is submit my site to DMOZ and Google and they can say that they have submitted my site to 1,000 search engines and directories? Some of them say that they will automatically submit you every month but I've heard that this is a bad thing?

I've done this a couple of times too. For like 10 dollar a time I used a program (adweb) to submit sites to search engines. That program says it's equivalent to submitting to 70.000 search engines.

if it's usefull, i don't know, i haven't even heard of most of those search engines.

So basically this service of submitting your site to "1,000" search engines is some kind of scam? I wanted to offer a service similar to this to my clients if they purchase one of my more "premium" hosting packages. I am a web designer. But if this is doing more harm than good then I rather not do it.

So to sum it up this is really some sort of scam? I can give the same effect by just submitting their site to DMOZ and google?

So to sum it up this is really some sort of scam? I can give the same effect by just submitting their site to DMOZ and google? [/B][/QUOTE]

Try snooping at http://www.ihelpyouservices.com/forums/

The answers that have been given are basically correct.

Be careful with the promotion companies out there that offer services such as "Get your site submitted to a 1000 search engines!" or "Get one million visitors in a week!". The first one you can look at logically, 75% of the web's search engines go through Google, so I'd say it's much more important to get on Google, followed by Yahoo and MSN. From there you've pretty much got the net's searches covered.

The latter part with the instant visitor schemes, you'll likely just get a bunch of drone traffic; traffic exchange sites (where users flip through internet pages to earn points) will create traffic directing sites to make their money.

In conclusion be very skeptical, always!
    ‹‹SHAW NETWORKS›› Simple. Professional. Reliable. Web Hosting Done Right.
    Low Cost & Award-Winning: cPanel Reseller Plans ›› 24/7/365 Live Technical Support ‹‹
    Website: www.shawnetworks.com Fast Response E-mail: sales @ shawnetworks.com
    Sick of downtime? Fed up with excuses? Drop your host! Switch to Shaw Networks.

[i]So to sum it up this is really some sort of scam? I can give the same effect by just submitting their site to DMOZ and google? [/B]
    A couple of things to add.

You say "just submit to DMOZ". The DMOZ is not that easy to get into as its not an automatic acceptance. Someone has to review and accept your site. My site was finally accepted into the DMOZ after almost 2years...

Also, some of those "submit your site to 1000's of search engines" are places that end up selling your email accounts to spammers. I used one along time ago when I first got started and the email account that was used ended up destroyed with spam...

I could probably come up with no more than 10 search engines that you should submit your site to. I would NEVER submit, or use one of those services..
    Last edited by Veign; 07-10-2004 at 09:35 PM.